Dr. Thomas Netticadan
Investigate the cardiovascular benefits of Canadian food crops
Current research and/or projects
Overall research goal
To examine the potential of foods, food-derived extracts and purified components in preventing the development of obesity/diabetes, hypertension and heart failure by utilizing cell culture models and animal models.
Potential of oat derived compounds in preventing the development of hypertension and heart disease in the spontaneously hypertensive rat.
Potential of whole flaxseed and flaxseed derived fractions in preventing the development of heart disease in rats subjected to coronary artery occlusion.
Potential of edible oils in preventing the development of obesity and heart disease in the high fat-fed rat.
Potential of polyphenols in preventing the development of ischemic heart disease in rats subjected to coronary artery ligation.
Potential of fatty acids and polyphenols in preventing cardiomyocyte (heart muscle cell) death and dysfunction.
Education and awards
PhD, University of Bombay, India
Postdoctoral studies, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale, France.
Postdoctoral studies, University of Western Ontario, Canada.
For a complete list of publications, please visit: AAFC Online
1. X. Lieben Louis, Z. Meikle, L. Chan, G. DeGagne, R. Cummer, S. Meikle, S. Krishnan, L. Yu, T. Netticadan, J.T. Wigle. Divergent Effects of Resveratrol on Rat Cardiac Fibroblasts and Cardiomyocytes. Molecules 2019;24(14). pii: E2604
2. M. Parikh, P. Raj, J.A. Austria, L. Yu, B. Garg, T. Netticadan, G.N. Pierce. Dietary flaxseed protects against ventricular arrhythmias and left ventricular dilation after a myocardial infarction. Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry 2019;71:63-71.
3. M. Parikh, P. Raj, L. Yu, J.A. Stebbing, S. Prashar, J.C. Petkau, P.S. Tappia, G.N. Pierce, Y.L. Siow, D. Brown, H. Blewett, T. Netticadan. Ginseng Berry Extract Rich in Phenolic Compounds Attenuates Oxidative Stress but not Cardiac Remodeling post Myocardial Infarction. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 2019;20(4). pii: E983.
4. X.L. Louis, P. Raj, L. Chan, S. Zieroth, T. Netticadan, J.T. Wigle. Are the cardioprotective effects of the phytoestrogen resveratrol sex-dependent? Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology 2019;97(6):503-514.
5. E. Shafiei, M. Bahtoei, P. Raj, A. Ostovar, D. Iranpour, S. Akbarzadeh, H. Shahryari, A. Anvaripour, R. Tahmasebi, T. Netticadan, A. Movahed. Effects of N-acetyl cysteine and melatonin on early reperfusion injury in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting: A randomized, open-labeled, placebo-controlled trial. Medicine 2018;97(30):e11383.
6. X.L. Louis, P. Raj, K.J. McClinton, L. Yu, M. Suh, T. Netticadan. Supplementation of Type 1 Diabetic Rats with Carrot Powder Lowers Blood Glucose without Improving Cardiac Structure and Function. Preventive Nutrition and Food Science 2018;23(2):115-121.
7. B.M. Aloud, P. Raj, J. McCallum, C. Kirby, X.L. Louis, F. Jahan, L. Yu, B. Hiebert, T.A. Duhamel, J.T. Wigle, H. Blewett, T. Netticadan. Cyanidin 3-O-glucoside prevents the development of maladaptive cardiac hypertrophy and diastolic heart dysfunction in 20-week-old spontaneously hypertensive rats. Food and Function 2018;9(6):3466-3480.
8. M. Parikh, T. Netticadan, G.N. Pierce. Flaxseed: its bioactive components and their cardiovascular benefits. American Journal of Physiology Heart and Circulatory Physiology 2018;314(2):H146-H159.
9. B.C. Akinwumi, P. Raj, D.I. Lee, C. Acosta, L. Yu, S.M. Thomas, K. Nagabhushanam, M. Majeed, N.M. Davies, T Netticadan, H.D. Anderson. Disparate Effects of Stilbenoid Polyphenols on Hypertrophic Cardiomyocytes In Vitro vs. in the Spontaneously Hypertensive Heart Failure Rat. Molecules 2017;22(2). pii: E204.
10. S. Singh, T. Netticadan, D.D. Ramdath. Expression of cardiac insulin signalling genes and proteins in rats fed a high-sucrose diet: effect of bilberry anthocyanin extract. Genes and Nutrition 2016;11:8
11. A. Movahed, A. Ostovar, D. Iranpour, S.J. Thandapilly, P. Raj, X.L. Louis, J.M. Smoliga, T. Netticadan. The efficacy of resveratrol in controlling hypertension: study protocol for a randomized, crossover, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial. Trials 2016 Jun 23;17(1):296.
12. P. Raj, B.M. Aloud, X.L. Louis, L. Yu, S Zieroth, T Netticadan. Resveratrol is equipotent to perindopril in attenuating post-infarct cardiac remodeling and contractile dysfunction in rats. Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry 2016;28:155-163.
13. B.M. Aloud, P. Raj, K. O'Hara, Z. Shao, L. Yu, H.D. Anderson, T. Netticadan. Conjugated linoleic acid prevents high glucose-induced hypertrophy and contractile dysfunction in adult rat cardiomyocytes. Nutrition Research 2016;36(2):134-142.
14. N.H. Ibrahim, S.J. Thandapilly, Y. Jia, T. Netticadan, H. Aukema. Soy Protein Alleviates Hypertension and Fish Oil Improves Diastolic Heart Function in the Han:SPRD-Cy Rat Model of Cystic Kidney Disease. Lipids 2016 May;51(5):635-642.
15. P. Raj, S. Zieroth, T. Netticadan. An overview of the efficacy of resveratrol in the management of ischemic heart disease. Annals of New York Academy of Sciences 2015;1348(1):55-67.
16. A.T. Girgih, A.M. Alashi, R. He, S.A. Malomo, P. Raj, T. Netticadan, R.E. Aluko. A novel hemp seed meal protein hydrolysate reduces oxidative stress factors in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Nutrients 2014;6(12):5652-5666.
17. X.L. Louis, S.J. Thandapilly, W Kalt, M. Vinqvist-Tymchuk, B.M. Aloud, P. Raj, L. Yu, H. Le, and T. Netticadan. Blueberry polyphenols prevent cardiomyocyte death by preventing calpain activation and oxidative stress. Food Function. 2014;5(8):1785-1794.
18. P. Raj, X.L. Louis., S.J. Thandapilly, A. Movahed, S. Zieroth, and T. Netticadan. Potential of resveratrol in the treatment of heart failure. Life Sciences 2014;95(2):63-71.
19. A. Movahed, I. Nabipour, X. L. Louis, S.J. Thandapilly, L..Yu, M. Kalantarhormozi, S.J. Rekabpour, and T. Netticadan. Antihyperglycemic effects of short term resveratrol supplementation in type 2 diabetic patients. Evidence Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2013;2013:851267.
20. S.J. Thandapilly, X.L. Louis, J. Behbahani, A. Movahed, L. Yu, R. Fandrich, S. Zhang, E. Kardami, H.D. Anderson, and T. Netticadan. Reduced hemodynamic load aids low-dose resveratrol in reversing cardiovascular defects in hypertensive rats. Hypertension Research 2013;36(10):866-872.
21. X.L. Louis, R. Murphy, S.J. Thandapilly, L. Yu, and T. Netticadan. Garlic extracts prevent oxidative stress, hypertrophy and apoptosis in cardiomyocytes: a role for nitric oxide and hydrogen sulfide. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2012;9:12(1):140-150.
22. S.J. Thandapilly, J.L. LeMaistre, X.L. Louis, C.M. Anderson, T. Netticadan, and H.D. Anderson. Vascular and cardiac effects of grape powder in the spontaneously hypertensive rat. Amercian Journal of Hypertension. 2012;25(10):1070-1076
23. A. Movahed, L. Yu, S.J. Thandapilly, X.L. Louis, and T. Netticadan. Resveratrol protects adult cardiomyocytes against oxidative stress mediated cell injury. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics. 2012;527(2):74-80.
24. T. Netticadan. Why research on resveratrol-mediated cardioprotection should not decelerate. Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology. 2012;90(5):iii-vi.
25. X.L. Louis, S.J. Thandapilly, S.K. Mohankumar, L. Yu, C.G. Taylor, P. Zahradka, and T. Netticadan. Treatment with low-dose resveratrol reverses cardiac impairment in obese prone but not in obese resistant rats. Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry. 2012;23(9):1163-1169.
26. S.J Thandapilly, X.L. Louis, T. Yang, D.M. Stringer, L. Yu, S. Zhang, J. Wigle, E. Kardami, P. Zahradka, C. Taylor, H.D. Anderson, and T. Netticadan. Resveratrol prevents norepinephrine induced hypertrophy in adult rat cardiomyocytes, by activating NO-AMPK pathway. European Journal of Pharmacology. 2011;668(1-2):217-224.
27. M. Baarine, S.J. Thandapilly, X.L. Louis, F. Mazué, L. Yu, D. Delmas, T. Netticadan, G. Lizard, and N. Latruffe. Pro-apoptotic versus anti-apoptotic properties of dietary resveratrol on tumoral and normal cardiac cells. Genes and Nutrition 2011:161-169.
28. J. Behbahani, S.J. Thandapilly, X.L Louis, Y. Huang, Z. Shao, M.A. Kopilas, P. Wojciechowski, T. Netticadan, and H.D. Anderson. Resveratrol and small artery compliance and remodeling in the spontaneously hypertensive rat. American Journal of Hypertension 2010; 23(12):1273-1278.
29. P. Wojciechowski, D. Juric, X.L. Louis, S.J. Thandapilly, L. Yu, C. Taylor and T. Netticadan. Resveratrol arrests and regresses the development of pressure overload but not volume overload induced cardiac hypertrophy in rats. Journal of Nutrition 2010;140(5):962-968.
30. S.J. Thandapilly, P. Wojciechowski, J. Behbahani, X.L. Louis, L. Yu, D. Juric, M. Kopilas, H. Anderson, and T. Netticadan. Resveratrol attenuates cardiac hypertrophy and contractile dysfunction in spontaneously hypertensive rats without lowering blood pressure American Journal of Hypertension 2010;23(2):192-196.
31. P. Wojciechowski, X.L. Louis, S.J. Thandapilly, L. Yu and T. Netticadan. Potential of resveratrol in preventing the development of heart failure. Current Chemical Biology 2010;4(1)84-88.
32. D. Juric, P. Wojciechowski, D.K. Das and T. Netticadan. Prevention of cardiac hypertrophy and diastolic impairment in aortic banded rats treated with resveratrol. American Journal of Physiology (Heart and Circulatory Physiology) 2007;292(5):H2138-H143.