Dr. Tetjana Ross
Current research and/or projects
Monitoring physical and bio-physical oceanographic properties and interpreting changes in the Northeast Pacific
Research and/or project statements
- Long time series along Line P; a high quality ocean time series to assess the impacts of climate change on the ocean (60+ years)
- Argo Canada (Pacific); increasing ocean observation to aid in ocean forecasting
- Glider monitoring of Northeast Pacific; again, increasing ocean observation to aid in ocean forecasting, however the steering of these autonomous vehicles allows targetted study of processes
Professional activities / interests
- Oceanographic instrument/methods development: focus on autonomous vehicles (gliders and floats), broadband acoustics (both putting together new sonar systems and developing new methods for interpreting the data) and zooplankton-turbulence observations (directed the design and testing of a novel new instrument combining a microstructure profiler and Video Plankton Recorder)
- Science education: (co-) supervising students (current tally: 1 PhD, 5 MSc, 5 BSc); graduate and undergraduate teaching at universities; outreach presentations for primary and secondary students; workshops for public school teachers; curriculum review
- Scientific publication: Associate editor for IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering; reviewer for over 10 scientific journals
- Oceanographic service work: Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society (former Councillor-at-large, current member of Awards and School and Public Education committees); Ocean Tracking Network (co-PI; member of Reprofiling Committee); Ocean Networks Canada (former co-applicant on VENUS proposal; member of ONC DATA Portal Consultation group and NEPTUNE Canada Users Committee)
Education and awards
PhD., Ocean Physics, University of Victoria, Sound scattering from oceanic turbulence, 2003
B.Sc., Physics (First Class Honours), University of Manitoba, 1998
NSERC University Faculty Award (2005-2011)
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution Postdoctoral Scholar (2003-2005)
International experience and/or work
2013 Visiting Scientist, Institute of Marine Sciences, Spanish National Research Council (ICM-CSIC), Barcelona, Spain
2003-2005 Postdoctoral Scholar (Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Woods Hole, MA, USA)
Tetjana Ross, Susanne Craig, Adam Comeau, Richard Davis, Mathieu Dever and Matthew Beck, “Blooms and subsurface phytoplankton layers on the Scotian Shelf: Insights from profiling gliders”, Journal of Marine Systems, 172:118-127, 2017.
Anne-Marie Ryan, Alexandra Arnott, Roderick Chisholm, Laura deGelleke, Lara Gibson, Debra Grantham, Stephanie Kienast, Martha Mullally, Tetjana Ross, Allison Schmidt, Leanne Stevens and Elizabeth Welsh, “Conversations in a Coffee Shop: Voices from within a community of teaching practice of university science faculty”, Transformative Dialogues: Teaching & Learning Journal, Vol. 9 Issue 3, p1-18, 2017.
Eddy Carmack, Igor Polyakov, Laurie Padman, Ilker Fer, Elizabeth Hunke, Jennifer Hutchings, Jennifer Jackson, Daniel Kelley, Ron Kwok, Chantelle Layton, Humfrey Melling, D Perovich, Ola Persson, Barry Ruddick, Mary-Louise Timmermans, John Toole, Tetjana Ross, Steve Vavrus, and Peter Winsor, “Toward quantifying the increasing role of oceanic heat in sea ice loss in the new Arctic”, Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 96:2079-2105, 2015.
Keir Colbo*, Tetjana Ross, Craig Brown and Tom Weber, “A review of oceanographic
applications of water column data from multibeam echosounders”, Estuarine, Coastal and
Shelf Science, invited feature, 145:41-56, 2014.
Tetjana Ross, “A video-plankton and microstructure profiler for the exploration of in situ
connections between zooplankton and turbulence”, Deep Sea Research I, 89:1-10, 2014.
Tetjana Ross, Julie Keister and Ana Lopez, “On the use of high-frequency broadband sonar
to classify biological scattering layers from a cabled observatory in Saanich Inlet, British
Columbia”, Methods in Oceanography, 5:19-38, 2013.
Kimberley Davies, Tetjana Ross and Christopher Taggart, “Tidal and residual current
influence on copepod aggregations along a shelf-basin margin”, Marine Ecology Progress
Series, 479:263-282, 2013.
Doris Leong, Tetjana Ross and Andone Lavery, “Anisotropy in broadband acoustic
scattering from internal solitary waves”, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America,
Amy Roy, Anna Metaxas and Tetjana Ross, “Swimming patterns of larval
Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis in turbulence in the laboratory”, Journal of Experimental
Marine Biology and Ecology, 453:117-127, 2012.
Jessica Sameoto, Tetjana Ross, and Anna Metaxas, “The effect of flow on larval vertical
distribution of the sea urchin, Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis”, Journal of Experimental
Marine Biology and Ecology, 383:156–163, 2010.
Tetjana Ross, Isabelle Gaboury and Rolf Lueck, “Simultaneous acoustic observations of
turbulence and zooplankton in the ocean”, Deep Sea Research I, 54:143-153, 2007.
Dalhousie University (since 2005-2016; Associate Professor, since Aug 2016, Adjunct)
University of British Columbia (since Jan 2016; Affiliate Associate Professor)