Dr. Terry D. Cyr
Development and application of new research methods for the analysis of vaccine proteomes and the comparison of biosimilars (subsequent entry biologics).
Current research and/or projects
Development and application of mass spectrometric methods to identify and characterize vaccines and therapeutic biologics, especially peptides and proteins in complex matrices.
Research and/or project statements
- Mass spectrometry (MS) of complex biologics: Development of proteomic methodologies related to peptide analysis and the MS identification and quantification of proteins.
- Structural characterization of biotech products: Characterization of the structure and determination of the purity of biotech products, biosimilars and reference standards through application of mass spectrometry.
- Application of mass spectrometry to vaccine analysis and testing: Development of proteomic methodologies to identify viral vaccine strains, quantify major viral vaccine proteins and assess purity in a wide range of influenza vaccine formulations and sources. This is especially important for characterizing the reference materials that are used in vaccine manufacturing.
- Mesenchymal stem cells: Proteomic characterization of mesenchymal stem cells to develop high throughput diagnostics for the identification and quantification of therapeutic cells in stem cell-based health products.
Professional activities / interests
International collaboration and training with World Health Organization, USA Food and Drug Administration, Mexico Federal Commission for the Protection against Sanitary Risk and National Institutes for Food and Drug Control (China).
Education and awards
- Post Doctoral Fellow, Chemistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB
- Ph.D. Chemistry, University of Victoria, Victoria, B.C.
- B.Sc. Chemistry, University of Victoria, Victoria, B.C.
Smith, D.G.S., Gingras, G., Aubin, Y., Cyr, T.D. Design and expression of a QconCAT protein to validate Hi3 protein quantification of influenza vaccine antigens (2016) Journal of Proteomics, 146, pp. 133-140. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jprot.2016.06.024
Lavoie, J.R., Creskey, M.M., Muradia, G., Bell, G.I., Sherman, S.E., Gao, J., Stewart, D.J., Cyr, T.D., Hess, D.A., Rosu-Myles, M. Brief Report: Elastin Microfibril Interface 1 and Integrin-Linked Protein Kinase Are Novel Markers of Islet Regenerative Function in Human Multipotent Mesenchymal Stromal Cells (2016) Stem Cells, 34 (8), pp. 2249-2255. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/stem.2385/full
Zhao, Y., Khanal, P., Savage, P., She, Y.-M., Cyr, T.D., Yang, X. YAP-induced resistance of cancer cells to antitubulin drugs is modulated by a hippo-independent pathway (2014) Cancer Research, 74 (16), pp. 4493-4503. http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/74/16/4493.long
Smith, D.G.S., Cyr, T.D. Application of high-resolution MS to biotherapeutics (2014) Applications of High-Resolution Mass Spectrometry in Drug Discovery and Development, pp. 92-105. http://www.futuremedicine.com/doi/pdf/10.4155/ebo.13.346
She, Y.-M., Cheng, K., Farnsworth, A., Li, X., Cyr, T.D. Surface modifications of influenza proteins upon virus inactivation by β-propiolactone (2013) Proteomics, 13 (23-24), pp. 3537-3547. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/pmic.201300096/abstract
Rosu-Myles M., She Y.M., Fair J., Muradia G., Mehic J., Menendez P., Prasad S.S, Cyr T.D. Identification of a candidate proteomic signature to discriminate multipotent and non-multipotent stromal cells. (2012) PLoS One, 7(6):e38954. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0038954. http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0038954
Creskey, M.C., Li, C., Wang, J., Girard, M., Lorbetskie, B., Gravel, C., Farnsworth, A., Li, X., Smith, D.G., Cyr, T.D. Simultaneous quantification of the viral antigens hemagglutinin and neuraminidase in influenza vaccines by LC-MS(E) (2012) Vaccine, 30 (32), pp. 4762-4770. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0264410X12007402
She, Y.-M., Rosu-Myles, M., Walrond, L., Cyr, T.D.Quantification of protein isoforms in mesenchymal stem cells by reductive dimethylation of lysines in intact proteins (2012) Proteomics, 12(3), pp.369-379. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/pmic.201100308/pdf
Creskey, M.C., Smith, D.G.S., Cyr, T.D. Strain identification of commercial influenza vaccines by mass spectrometry (2010) Analytical Biochemistry, 406(2), pp. 193-203. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0003269710004628
She, Y.-M., Xu, X., Yakunin, A.F., Dhe-Paganon, S., Donald, L.J., Standing, K.G., Lee, D.C., Jia, Z., Cyr, T.D. Mass spectrometry following mild enzymatic digestion reveals phosphorylation of recombinant proteins in escherichia coli through mechanisms involving direct nucleotide binding (2010) Journal of Proteome Research, 9(6), pp. 3311-3318. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/pr9011987
Li, C., Jaentschke, B., Song, Y., Wang, J., Cyr, T.D., Van Domselaar, G., He, R., Li, X. A simple slot blot for the detection of virtually all subtypes of the influenza A viral hemagglutinins using universal antibodies targeting the fusion peptide (2010) Nature Protocols, 5(1),pp. 14-19. http://www.nature.com/nprot/journal/v5/n1/full/nprot.2009.200.html
Maurer-Spurej, E., Kahr, W.H., Carter, C.J., Pittendreigh, C., Cameron, M., Cyr, T.D. The value of proteomics for the diagnosis of a platelet-related bleeding disorder (2008) Platelets, 19 (5), pp. 342-351. http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09537100802010547
García-Cañas, V., Lorbetskie, B., Bertrand, D., Cyr, T.D., Girard, M. Selective and quantitative detection of influenza virus proteins in commercial vaccines using two-dimensional high-performance liquid chromatography and fluorescence detection (2007) Analytical Chemistry, 79 (8), pp. 3164-3172. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ac0621120
Cyr, T.D., Graham, S.J., Li, K.Y.R., Lovering, E.G.Low first-spray drug content in albuterol metered-dose inhalers (1991) Pharmaceutical Research, 8(5), pp. 658-660. http://www.springerlink.com/content/t15273m0011k8658/
- Treasurer of the Canadian Society for Mass Spectrometry
- Member of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry
- Board of Directors (Member) for Canadian National Proteomics Network
- Reviewer for Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) and numerous scientific journals