Dr. Su Xu
Current research and/or projects
I’m a senior research scientist at CanmetMATERIALS, Natural Resources Canada in Hamilton, Ontario, where I perform research and development in the areas of mechanical testing and fracture of metallic materials. My research involves the development of standards for Canadian Standards Association (CSA) and American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM). I joined CanmetMATERIALS after my PhD study at Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal in 1998 because I like the practical research work and to work with a good team.
Research and/or project statements
Current Research Projects:
- Fast ductile fracture arrest methodology and standard for gas pipelines.
- Fracture toughness of pipe steels and welds for Canadian Standards Association (CSA) standard improvements and engineering critical assessment (ECA).
- High-temperature mechanical properties of candidate Gen IV Supercritical Water Reactor (SCWR) fuel cladding alloys.
- Deformation and damage of Magnesium alloys.
Professional activities / interests
I work with students, other scientists in and out of the federal government and researchers from the industry.
Education and awards
Ph.D. in material science and engineering, L'École Polytechnique de Montreal, Université de Montreal, 1997.
M.Sc. in materials science and engineering, University of Science and Technology Beijing (USTB), China, 1987.
B.Eng. in materials science and engineering, USTB, China, 1984.
NRCan Departmental Merit Award (Creativity and Innovation category), for the contribution to Development of a Magnesium Engine Cradle for Automobiles, 2007.
Light Metals Section Best Paper Award, Conference of Metallurgists, Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum, 2005.
- S. Xu, W.R. Tyson and B. Rothwell, “Recent Developments in Design for Crack Arrest Using the Crack-tip Opening Angle (CTOA)”, Journal of Pipeline Engineering, Vol. 14, No. 4, 2015, pp. 241-247.
- S. Xu, W.R. Tyson and D.-M. Duan, “Technical Background of the Update of ECA Procedures in CSA Z662”, Journal of Pipeline Engineering, Vol. 14, No. 2, 2015, pp. 99-110.
- S. Xu, R. Eagleson, W.R. Tyson, and D.-Y. Park, “Crack Tunnelling and Crack Tip Opening Angle in Drop-Weight Tear Test Specimens”, International Journal of Fracture, Vol. 172, 2011, pp. 105-112.
- S. Xu and B. Shalchi Amirkhiz, “Mechanical Properties of Fuel Cladding Candidate Alloys for Canadian SCWR Concept”, JOM (Journal of Metals), Vol. 68, No. 2, 2016, pp. 469-474.
- S. Xu, C.H.M. Simha, M. Gesing, J. Liang and J. Lo, “Critical Mechanical Properties and FEA Simulation for Crashworthiness Assessment of a Coarse-Grained Cast AM50 alloy”, Journal of Magnesium and Alloys, Vol. 3, 2015, pp. 188–196.
Member of Technical Subcommittee on Materials on Canadian Standards Association (CSA) Petroleum and Natural Gas Industry Pipeline Systems and Materials.
Voting member of American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) E08 Committee (Fatigue and Fracture Mechanics).