Dr. Sean (Xuguang) Li
Leading a research team to develop methodologies for the quality assessment and control of vaccines and biotherapeutics.
Current research and/or projects
Conducting regulatory research on quality control methodologies for vaccines and biotherapeutics.
Research and/or project statements
- Development of new technologies for the analyses of biotherapeutics and vaccines
- Investigation of potential adverse reactions associated with vaccine vectors
- Determination of biomarkers for the analyses of immune responses to vaccines
- Contribution to international collaborations for the development of new assays for vaccines and biotherapeutic products
Professional activities / interests
- Leading several international research collaborations on methodology developments for the quality control of vaccines and biotherapeutics
- Providing scientific advice to senior management and participating in various national and international working groups for policy development
Education and awards
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- PhD, Microbiology and Immunology, McGill University, Montreal, QC
- MD, Medical College of Suzhou University, China
- Deputy Minister Award (Health Canada), Excellence in Science (2010)
Huang D, A.V. Pereboev, N. Korokhov, R. He, L. Larocque, C. Gravel, B. Jaentschke, M. Tocchi, W.L. Casley, M. Lemieux, D.T. Curiel, W. Chen, X. Li. 2008. Significant alterations of biodistribution and immune responses in Balb/c mice administered with adenovirus targeted to CD40(+) cells. Gene Ther. 15:298-308.
Chun S, C. Li, G. Van Domselaar, J. Wang, A. Farnsworth, X. Cui, H. Rode, T.D. Cyr, R.He , X. Li 2008. Universal antibodies and their applications to the quantitative determination of virtually all subtypes of the influenza A viral hemagglutinins. Vaccine. 26(48):6068-76.
Li C, B. Jaentschke , Y. Song, J. Wang, T. Cyr, G. Van Domselaar, R. He , X. Li. 2010. A simple slot blot for the detection of virtually all subtypes of the influenza A viral hemagglutinins using universal antibodies targeting the fusion peptide. Nat. Protoc. 5(1):14-19.
Hashem AM, A.S. Flaman, A. Farnsworth, E.G. Brown, G. Van Domselaar, R. He, X. Li. 2010. Aurintricarboxylic Acid is a Potent Inhibitor of Influenza A and B Virus Neuraminidases. Plos One. 4(12):e8350.
Farnsworth A, A.S. Flaman, S.S. Prassad, C. Gravel, A. Williams, C.L. Yauk, X. Li 2010. Modulation of the transcriptional response to recombinant IFN-β following the administration of Acetaminophen. Plos One. 5(6): e11031.
Gravel C, C. Li, J. Wang, A.M. Hashem, B. Jaentschke, K.W. Xu, B. Lorbetskie, G. Gingras, Y. Aubin, G.V. Domselaar, M. Girard, R. He, X. Li 2010. Qualitative and quantitative analyses of virtually all subtypes of influenza A and B viral neuraminidases using antibodies targeting the universally conserved sequences. Vaccine. 28(36):5774-84.
Hashem A, G. Van Domselaar, C. Li, J. Wang, Y-M. She, T.D. Cyr, J. Sui, R. He, W.A. Marasco, X. Li. 2010. Universal Antibodies against the Highly Conserved Influenza Fusion Peptide Cross-Neutralize Several Subtypes of Influenza A Virus. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm. 403: 247–251.
Larocque L, A. Bliu, R. Xu, A. Diress, J. Wang, R. Lin, R. He, M. Girard, X. Li . 2011. Bioactivity determination of native and variant forms of therapeutic interferons. J. Biomed. Biotechnol. 2011;2011:174615.
Flaman AS, C. Gravel, A.M. Hashem, M. Tocchi, X. Li. 2011 The effect of interferon-alpha on the expression of cytochrome P450 3A4 in human hepatoma cells. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol. 253:130–136.
Russell M, C. Li,, L. Larocque, A. Farnsworth, J. Wang, R. He, X. Li. 2011 Rapid and Accurate Determination of the Potency of Varicella Vaccine by Quantitative Polymerase Chain Reaction. Vaccine. 29(47):8490-5.
Hashem AM, B. Jaentschke, C. Gravel, M. Tocchi, T.M. Doyle, M. Rosu-Myles, R He, X. Li. 2012. Subcutaneous immunization with recombinant adenovirus expressing influenza A nucleoprotein protects mice against lethal viral challenge. Hum Vaccin Immunother. 8(4): 1-4.
Elmgren L, X. Li, C. Wilson, R. Ball, J. Wang, K. Cichutek, M. Pfleiderer, A. Kato, M. Cavaleri, J. Southern, T. Jivapaisarnpong, P. Minor, E. Griffiths, Y. Sohn, D. Wood. 2013. A Global Regulatory Science Agenda for Vaccines. Vaccine. 2013 Apr 18;31 Suppl 2:B163-75.
Hashem A, C. Gravel, A. Farnsworth, W. Zou, M. Lemieux, K. Xu, C. Li, J. Wang, M.F. Goneau, M. Merziotis, R. He, M. Gilbert, X. Li. 2013. A novel synthetic receptor-based immunoassay for influenza vaccine quantification. PloS One2013;8(2):e55428. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0055428.
Doyle TM., B. Jaentschke, G. Van Domselaar, A. Hashem, A. Farnsworth, N. Forbes, C. Li., J. Wang, R. He, E.G. Brown, X. Li. 2013. The universal epitope of influenza A viral neuraminidase fundamentally contributes to enzyme activity and viral replication. J. Biol. Chem.288 (25): 18283-9.
- Adjunct Professor, University of Ottawa, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology and Immunology
- Member of the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (FGPS), University of Ottawa
- International Association of Biologicals