Dr. Raymond Desjardins
Atmospheric scientist (Air quality)
Current research and/or projects
C-PI Sustainability metric projects: 1) Quantifying water use efficiency of crops 2) Regional methane emission estimates 3) Radiative forcing due to land use change 4) Mesoscale and turbulent transfer.
Research and/or project statements
As an expert in micrometeorology he developed techniques to quantify mass and energy exchange using tower and aircraft-based systems as well as techniques to quantify greenhouse gas emissions from point sources. He works with national and international teams in quantifying the role of the major terrestrial ecosystems on climate as well as the role of climate change on these ecosystems. He used aircraft-based flux measuring techniques to verify agriculture greenhouse gas inventory of methane and nitrous oxide at a regional scale. Some of my recent research is focused on improving estimates of the carbon footprint of agricultural products and helping Canadian farmers compete on the international markets. He co-edited and co-authored two books: “Health of our Air” and “Better Farming Better Air” which shed light on how efficient farming can improve air quality and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Professional activities / interests
- Program Leader of Greenhouse Gas Initiative Central Region (1991-97)
- Principal investigator on a government funded project on climate change to develop techniques to better understand biosphere atmosphere interactions (1992-1996)
- Principal investigator in the First ISLSCP Field Experiment (FIFE) sponsored by NASA (1987-89)
- Principal investigator of trace gas exchange as part of the Northern Wetlands Study near James Bay (1990-91)
- Co-investigator of the California Ozone Deposition Experiment (CODE) in the San Joaquin Air Quality Study (1991-92)
- Principal investigator in the Southern Great Plain (SGP) Experiment in Oklahoma (1997-98)
- Co-investigator in the Canadian GEWEX project in the MacKenzie basin (1998-2000)
- Team leader of AAFC project on Reducing GHG Emissions (2000-2007)
- Team Leader of the agriculture component of the government PERD Climate Change program on the Enhancement of GHG Sinks in Canada (1997- 2007)
- Team leader of AAFC’s project on Quantifying and reducing GHG emissions, ammonia and particulate matter from agroecosystems (2007-2011)
- Team leader of the Air Quality Indicator and LCA projects in AAFC (2009-2013)
- Co-PI on a SAGES project in AAFC on developing improved process-based models and tools to better estimate GHG emissions at the provincial and national scales (2009-2013)
Education and awards
B.Sc. (Hons.) Physics, University of Ottawa, 1963
MSc. Meteorology, University of Toronto, 1965
Ph.D. Micrometeorology, Cornell University, 1972.
1995 “Agriculture Excellence Award” for his leadership role in First ISLSCP Field Experiment (FIFE)
1999 Fellow of Canadian Society of Agricultural Meteorology
1999 Fellow of American Society of Agronomy
2000 Fellow of Agricultural Institute of Canada
2001 “Science Award to the Leaders of Sustainable Development”
2002 Co-recipient of “Norbert Gerbier - MUMM International Award” WMO
2007 Co-recipient of “Nobel Peace Prize Laureate” for his contribution to IPCC.
2008 “Award of Excellence” from Public Service of Canada
2009 “Gold Harvest Award” from Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
2010 Award for“Outstanding Achievement in Biometeorology” from American Meteorological Society
2010 Award for Exceptional Service to the Commission of Agricultural Meteorology of the World Meteorological Organization
2012 Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada
2013 Special session at the Americam Meteorological Society, Atmospheric Biogeoscience Conference
2012 Received Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal for his national and international contribution to the science of climate change
2018 Award for Exceptional Service to CAgM of the World Meteorological Organization.
2018 Appointed Member of the Order of Canda
International experience and/or work
- Involved in many multidisciplinary international field experiments (FIFE, BOREAS, SGP.SMACEX, CODE, NOWES, MAGS, etc.) on a variety of subjects including water and nitrogen use efficiency of crops, biomass production, nutrient cycling of plants, and carbon sequestration.
- Principal resource officer for a CIDA project in Brazil 1983-87.
- Sabbatical leave at INRA, Grignon, France 1984-85.
- Leader of the Expert Team on the Contribution of Agriculture to Climate of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) (2002-2006).
- Canadian Delegate to the CAgM of the WMO (1990, 1995, 2014, 2018), Head of Delegation (1999, 2002, 2006).
- Member of the Management Group of CAgM, WMO 2014-2018.
Smith, W., Grant, B., He, W., VanderZaag, A., Qian, B., Desjardins, R., Jerecki, M., Wagner-Riddle, C., Deen, W., and Drury, C. 2018. Poster: Management strategies to reduce adverse impacts of climate change on cropping systems. World Meteorological Organization Technical Conference on Future Challenges and Opportunities in Agricultural Meteorology, Songdo Convensia, Incheon, Republic of Korea, 14-20 April, 20182018 - View publication details
Smith, W., Qi, Z., Grant, B.,VanderZaag, A., Desjardins, R. 2017. Comparison of DNDC and RZWQM2 for simulating hydrology and N dynamics in a corn-soybean system with a winter cover crop. B53B Agricultural Systems: Links Between Hydrology and Biogeochemical Cycling III posters, AGU Fall meeting, December 15th 2017, New Orleans, United States.2017 - View publication details
Guest, G., Smith, W., Grant, B., VanderZaag, A., Desjardins, R., McConkey, B. (2017). A comparative life cycle assessment highlighting the trade-offs of a liquid manure separator-composter in a Canadian dairy farm system, 143 824-835. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.12.0412017 - View publication details
Dutta, B., Grant, B.B., Campbell, C.A., Lemke, R.L., Desjardins, R.L., Smith, W.N. (2017). A multi model evaluation of long-term effects of crop management and cropping systems on nitrogen dynamics in the Canadian semi-arid prairie, 151 136-147. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.agsy.2016.12.0032017 - View publication details
Worth, D.E., Desjardins, R.L., MacDonald, D., Cerkowniak, D.D., McConkey, B.G., Dyer, J.A., and Vergé, X.P.C. (2016). "Agricultural Greenhouse Gases.", in Clearwater, R.L., Martin, T. and Hoppe, T. (eds.) - Environmental sustainability of Canadian agriculture: Agri-environmental indicator report series -- Report #4, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Chapter 15, pp. 169-179.2016 - View publication details
Drury, C.F., Yang, J., DeJong, R., Huffman, E.C., Reid, K., Yang, X.M., Bittman, S., and Desjardins, R.L. (2016). "Residual Soil Nitrogen Indicator.", in Clearwater, R.L., Martin, T. and Hoppe, T. (eds.) - Environmental sustainability of Canadian agriculture: Agri-environmental indicator report series -- Report #4, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Chapter 11, pp. 115-120.2016 - View publication details
Desjardins, R.L., Worth, D.E., Verge, X., Maxime, D., VanderZaag, A.C., Dyer, J.A., and Arcand, Y. (2016). "Greenhouse Gas Emission Intensities of Agricultural Products.", in Clearwater, R.L., Martin, T. and Hoppe, T. (eds.) - Environmental sustainability of Canadian agriculture: Agri-environmental indicator report series -- Report #4, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Chapter 18, pp. 211-222.2016 - View publication details
Desjardins, R.L., Worth, D.E., MacPherson, J.I., Bastian, M., and Srinivasan, R. (2016). "Flux measurements by the NRC Twin Otter atmospheric research aircraft: 1987–2011.", Advances in Science and Research, 13, pp. 43-49. doi : 10.5194/asr-13-43-20162016 - View publication details
Betts, A.K., Desjardins, R.L., and Worth, D.E. (2016). "The Impact of Clouds, Land use and Snow Cover on Climate in the Canadian Prairies.", Advances in Science and Research, 13, pp. 37-42. doi : 10.5194/asr-13-37-20162016 - View publication details
Desjardins, R.L. 2016. GHG emissions associated with the livestock sector - Mitigation options to reduce emissions. CAPI - AAFC Workshop on Strategies to Reduce Net GHG Emissions in Agriculture. December 12, 2016, Ottawa, ON.2016 - View publication details
- 1 of 23
- next ›
- Member of Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society since 1975
- Member of the American Meteorological Society since 1975
- Member of the American Geophysical Union since 1997
- Member of the Agricultural Institute of Canada since 1990
- Member of the American Society of Agronomy since 1975
- Member of the Royal Society of Canada since 2012
- Member of the board of Agricultural Meteorology 1993-2010
- Adjunct Professor Laval and McGill Univ. 1985-98
- Principal resource officer for CIDA project in Agroclimatic Research for the State of Parana in Brazil, (1982-86).
- Scientific advisor in agrometeorological research for the province of Quebec (1980-1990)
- Member of the editorial board of the J. Agronomie (1990-93)
- Team leader on expert team on the contribution of agriculture to the state of climate for CAgM of WMO 2002-2006.
- Member of the management group of CAgM ,WMO 2014-2018.
- Member of the scientific advisory committee of FluxNet Canada (2002- 2007)
- Member of the editorial board of the journal Advances in Meteorology (2009- 2013)
- Chair of the scientific committee for the GHG Mitigation Programme (2001-2006)
- Member of the Order of Canada since 2018