Dr. Pavel Kabanov
Stratigraphy and sedimentary basin analysis with focus on middle and upper Paleozoic
Current research and/or projects
Dr. Pavel Kabanov is a sedimentary geologist with an academic and industrial background in the Paleozoic carbonates and sedimentary basins. In 2000 he defended his PhD thesis on the sequence stratigraphic architecture of the Middle Pennsylvanian of Moscow Basin. While working at the Russian Academy of Sciences between 1995-2008, Dr. Kabanov led a number of national research projects in stratigraphy, paleoecology, and paleosols. At the same time, he consulted for industry in various aspects of sedimentary carbonates. After working full-time for oil and gas industry in 2008-2009, Dr. Kabanov moved to Canada where he conducted a number of consultant works for GSC, University of Calgary, and the oil and gas industry until he joined the GSC full-time in 2012.
Dr. Kabanov is studying the regional sequence-stratigraphic framework of the Devonian of Mackenzie River Corridor and adjacent Cordillera, an economically important succession hosting giant nonconventional hydrocarbon resources. This work is part of the renewed Geomapping for Energy and Minerals (GEM) Program. It includes revision of legacy subsurface data, geochemical and thermal maturity characterization, data mining, and bedrock mapping.
Dr. Kabanov has collaborated widely with Canadian and international geoscientists. Results of his research have appeared in more than forty scientific publications.
Education and awards
M.Sc. in geology, M.V. Lomonossov Moscow State University, 1994
Ph.D. in geological and mineralogical sciences, M.V. Lomonossov Moscow State University, 2000
- Kabanov, P. in press. Landry Formation of Kugaluk N-02 well (Devonian, northern mainland NWT): insight into formation's boundaries, lithofacies, and stratal stacking patterns, Bull. Can. Petrol. Geol.
GSC Open Files:
- Kabanov, P.B. and Dewing, K.D. 2014. Geological and geochemical data from the Canadian Arctic Islands. Part XII: Descriptions and lithologs of Upper Paleozoic core, Geological Survey of Canada, Open File 7569.
- Kabanov, P.B. 2013. Revisiting legacy core and cross sections from the sub-Imperial Devonian of Mackenzie River Corridor with emphasis on formation boundaries. Part 1. Wells Kugaluk N-02, Norman Wells P32X, Imperial Bear Island R34X, Maida Creek F57, and Devo Creek P45, Geological Survey of Canada, Open File 7466.
Other key publications:
- Baranova, D.V., Kabanov, P.B., & Alekseev, A.S. 2014. Fusulinids, facies, and biofacies of the upper Moscovian (Carboniferous) of southern Moscow Basin and Oka-Tsna Swell, Paleontological Journal. Spec. issue (monograph in press).
- Kabanov P., Alekseeva T., Alekseev A., Alekseeva V., & Gubin S. 2010. Paleosols in Late Moscovian (Carboniferous) marine carbonates of East European Craton revealing “Great Calcimagnesian Plain” paleolandscapes, Journal of Sedimentary Research, 80, 195-215
- Kabanov P., Anadon P.M., & Krumbein W.E. 2008. Microcodium: an extensive review and a proposed non-rhizogenic biologically induced origin for its formation, Sedimentary Geology, 205, 79-99
- Kabanov, P. & Baranova, D. 2007. Cyclothems and stratigraphy of the Upper Moscovian - basal Kasimovian succession of central and northern European Russia, In: Wong, T. (ed.), Proc. 15 Int. Cong. Carbonif. Perm. / Amsterdam: Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences, 147 – 160
- Kabanov, P. 2003. The Upper Moscovian and basal Kasimovian (Upper Carboniferous) of central European Russia: facies, subaerial exposures, and depositional model, Facies, 49, 243-270
- Kabanov, P.B., Alekseeva, T.V., & Alekseev, A.O. 2012. Serpukhovian Stage of the Carboniferous in its type area: facies, geochemistry, mineralogy, and section correlation. Stratigraphy and Geological Correlation 19, 1-30