Dr. Oliver Lung
Overseeing the High-throughput Sequencing (Illumina and Ion Torrent) and bioinformatics analysis activities at the Canadian Food Inspection Agency's National Centre for Foreign Animal Disease.
Current research and/or projects
New methods for detection and genetic characterization of viruses and unknown or unexpected pathogens.
Next Generation sequencing and bioinformatics analysis of known and unknown pathogens.
Metagenomic analysis of viruses.
Automation of sequencing and nucleic acid-based detection and subtyping of viruses.
Molecular identification and differentiation of disease vectors (insects and bats).
Professional activities / interests
Reviewer for journals such as PLOSone, Virology, Journal of General Virology, Journal of Virological Methods, Transboundary and Emerging Diseases, Journal of Invertebrate Pathology, Journal of Clinical Microbiology, BMC Veterinary Science, Biocontrol Science and Technology.
Reviewer for grants for Canadian Food Inspection Agency, National Institute for Health Research (U.K.), Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC), Alberta Livestock and Meat Agency, Canadian Safety and Security Program.
Reviewer of book chapters for OIE (World Organization for Animal Health) Terrestrial Animal Health Code.
Education and awards
Ph.D., Molecular Biology and Genetics, Cornell University
Molecular Virology and Diagnostics
1. Erickson A, Fisher M, Furukawa-Stoffer T, Ambagala A, Hodko D, Pasick J, King DP, Nfon C, Ortega-Polo R, and O. Lung (2017). A Multiplex Reverse Transcription PCR and Automated Electronic Microarray Assay for Detection and Differentiation of Seven Viruses Affecting Swine (sous presse, Transboundary and Emerging Diseases)
2. Lung O, Reimer SA and Goater CP. User-friendly Taqman probe coupled-insulated isothermal PCR (iiPCR) for rapid detection of emerging Ambystoma tigrinum virus (ATV) in Western tiger salamanders (Ambystoma mavortium) on a compact, portable instrument (in press, Journal of Virological Methods)
3. Wanghong Xu, Kate Hole, Melissa Goolia, Bradley Pickering, Tim Salo, Oliver Lung, Charles Nfon. Genome wide analysis of the evolution of Senecavirus A from swine clinical material and assembly yard environmental samples PlosONE-D-17-03109R1 accepted
4. Senthilkumaran C., Yang, M., Bittner, H., Nfon C.K., Ambagala A., Lung, O., Zimmerman, J. J., Lirola, L. G. G. (2016) Detection of genome, antigen, and antibodies in oral fluids from pigs infected with foot-and-mouth disease virus (Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research, 81: 82-90)
5. Lung O., Furukawa-Stoffer T., Burton-Hughes K., Pasick J., King D. P. and D Hodko. (2016) Multiplex RT-PCR and Autoamted Electronic Microarray for Detection of Eight Bovine Viruses (Transboundary and Emerging Diseases, 10.1111/tbed.12591)
6. Ambagala A., Fisher M., Goolia M., Nfon C., Furukawa-Stoffer T., Ortega-Polo R and O Lung.(2016) Field-deployable Reverse Transcription-Insulated Isothermal PCR (RT-iiPCR) Assay for Rapid and Sensitive Detection of Foot-and-Mouth Disease Virus (Transboundary and Emerging Diseases, DOI: 10.1111/tbed.12554)
7. Berhane Y., Ojkic D., Pople N., Lung O and J Pasick. (2016) Reoccurrence of suspected human-to-turkey transmission of influenza A (H1N1) pandemic 2009 virus in turkey breeder flocks in Ontario and Manitoba (Transboundary and Emerging Diseases, DOI: 10.1111/tbed.12566)
8. Senthilkumaran C., Bittner H., Ambagala A., Lung O., Babiuk S., Yang M., Zimmerman J., Gimenez-Lirola., Luis G and C Nfon. (2016) Use of oral fluids for detection of virus and antibodies in pigs infected with swine vesicular disease virus (Transboundary and Emerging Diseases, DOI: 10.1111/tbed.12563 )
9. Lung O., Ohene-Adjei S., Buchanan C., Erickson A., Joseph T., King R., Detmer S., and . Ambagala. (2017) Multiplex PCR and Microarray for Detection of Swine Respiratory Pathogens. (Transboundary and Emerging Diseases, 64 (3) 834-848; 10,1111/tbed 12449)
10. Ambagala A., Pahari S., Fisher M., Lee P. Y. A, Pasick J., Ostlund E. N., Johnson D. J. and O Lung. (2015) A rapid field-deployable insulated isothermal RT-PCR assay for sensitive and specific detection of Bluetongue virus (Transboundary and Emerging Diseases, 10.1111/tbed.12388)
11. Lung O., Pasick J., Fisher M., Buchanan C., and A Ambagala. (2015) Insulated Isothermal Reverse Transcriptase PCR (iiRT-PCR) for Rapid and Sensitive Detection of Classical Swine Fever Virus (Transboundary and Emerging Diseases, doi: 10.1111/tbed.12318)
12. Lung O., Beeston A., Ohene-Adjei S., Pasick J., Hodko D., Burton Hughes K, Furukawa-Stoffer T, Fisher M and D Deregt. (2012) Electronic microarray assays for avian influenza and Newcastle disease virus. Journal of Virological Methods 185: 244-253.
13. Su J, Lung O, and GW Blissard. (2011) The Autographa californica multiple nucleopolyhedrovirus lef-5 gene is required for productive infection. Virology 416: 54-64.
14. Lung O, Fisher M, Beeston A, Burton Hughes K, Clavijo A, Goolia M, Pasick J, Mauro W and D Deregt. (2011) Multiplex RT-PCR detection and microarray typing of vesicular disease viruses. Journal of Virological Methods 175: 236-245.
15. Yu I, Lin YC, Robinson J and O Lung. (2009) Transduction of vertebrate cells with Spodoptera exigua multiple nucleopolyhedrovirus F protein-pseudotyped gp64-null Autographa calicornica multiple nucleopolyhedrovirus. Journal of General Virology 90: 2282-2287.
16. Yu I, Bray D, Lin YC and O Lung. (2009) Autographa californica Multicapsid Nucleopolyhedrovirus (AcMNPV) ORF23 null mutant produces occlusion-derived virions with fewer nucleocapsids. Journal of General Virology 90: 1499-1504.
17. Lung O, and GW Blissard. (2005) A cellular Drosophila melanogaster protein with similarity to baculovirus F envelope fusion proteins. Journal of Virology 79: 7979-7989.
18. Lung OY, Cruz-Alvarez M and GW Blissard. (2003) Ac23, an envelope fusion protein homolog in the baculovirus Autographa californica Multicapsid Nucleopolyhedrovirus is a viral pathogenicity factor. Journal of Virology, 77: 328-339.
19. Lung O, Wesenberg M, Vlak JM, Douwe Z and GW Blissard. (2002) Pseudotyping budded virions of the Autographa californica Multicapsid Nucleopolyhedrovirus with heterologous envelope proteins: F proteins from group II NPVs are functionally analogous to AcMNPV GP64. Journal of Virology, 76: 5729-5736.
Molecular Biology and Genetics
20. Lung O., Nadin-Davis S., Fisher M, Erickson, A, Furukawa-Stoffer, T, Knowles, MK, and A. Ambagala. (2013). Microarray for identification of the Chiropteran host species of rabies virus in Canada. Microarrays 2: 153-169.
21. Wang LH, Ting SC, Chen CH, Tsai CC, Lung O, Wang YY, Lee CW, Tsai CL, and YC Lin. (2010) Single nucleotide polymorphisms in the apoptosis-associated genes FAS and FAS ligand and oral cancer risk in a Taiwan population Journal of Oral Pathology and Medicine 39: 155-161.
22. Lin YC, Huang HI, Wang LH, Tsai CC, Lung O, Dai CY Yu ML, Ho CK and CH Chen. (2008) Polymorphisms of COX-2 -765G>C and p53 codon 72 and risks of oral squamous cell carcinoma in a Taiwan population. Oral Oncology 44: 798-804.
23. Chapman T, Bangham J, Vinti G, Seifried B, Lung O, Wolfner M, Smith H and L Partridge. (2003) The Sex Peptide of Drosophila melanogaster: investigation of post-mating responses of females using RNA interference. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 100: 9923-9928.
24. Lung O, Tram U, Finnerty CM, Eipper-Mains M, Kalb JM and MF Wolfner. (2002) The Drosophila melanogaster seminal fluid protein Acp62F is a protease inhibitor that is toxic upon ectopic expression. Genetics, 160: 211-224.
25. Lung O, Kuo L and MF Wolfner. (2001) Drosophila males transfer antibacterial proteins from their accessory gland and ejaculatory duct to their mates. Journal of Insect Physiology, 47: 617-622.
26. Lung O and MF Wolfner. (2001) Identification and characterization of the major Drosophila melanogaster mating plug protein. Insect Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 31: 543-551.
27. Heifetz Y, Lung O, Frongillo EA and MF Wolfner. (2000) The Drosophila seminal fluid protein Acp26Aa stimulates release of oocytes by the ovary. Current Biology, 10: 99-102.
28. Lung O and MF Wolfner. (1999) Drosophila seminal fluid proteins enter the circulatory system of the mated female fly by crossing the posterior vaginal wall. Insect Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 29: 1043-1052.
29. Wolfner MF, Harada HA, Bertram MJ, Stelick TJ, Kraus KW, Kalb JM, Lung YO, Neubaum DM, Park M and U Tram. (1997) New genes for male accessory gland proteins in Drosophila melanogaster. Insect Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 27: 825-834.
1. Clinical Signs and Pathology of Foot-and-Mouth Disease, book chapter in Foot-and-Mouth Disease Virus: Current Research and Emerging Trends, edited by Francisco Sobrino and Esteban Domingo, Horizon Scientific Press-Caister Academic Press.
2. Chapter on Bovine Viral Diarrhea, OIE (World Organization for Animal Health) Terrestrial Animal Health Code
OIE (World Organization for Animal Health) Expert for Bovine Viral Diarrhoea
Adjunct Professor, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Lethbridge, Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Adjunct Professor, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Adjunct Professor, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Winnipeg, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada