Dr. Nathaniel K. Newlands
- Conducts original research to develop or refine ecosystem-level models that describe the long-term influence of agroecosystem management on environmental health, initially focusing on greenhouse gas emissions, carbon sequestration, and atmospheric contaminants.
- Supervises, trains, and evaluates staff in an Ecosystem Modelling research project.
- Represents department on national and international committees, as an expert on Environmental Health.
- Based on scientific literature, emerging policy issues and scientific opportunity, writes and submits innovative, original research proposals.
- Communicates findings, pertaining to issues of Environmental Health, to scientists, policy-makers, and members of the general public, via oral presentations, scientific manuscripts, media reports, or other avenues.
- Conducts critical reviews of scientific manuscripts, research proposals, and other scientific documents, and conveys recommendations.
- Develops methods for compiling, weighing and integrating site-specific research data, from across Canada and elsewhere, into improved ecosystem models.
- Interacts with researchers and policy-makers in national programs and other scientific networks to build models relevant to national and international environmental issues.
- Using models, determine the potential effectiveness of proposed farming practices on greenhouse gas emissions, carbon and nitrogen flows, and other measures of environmental health at farm, regional and national scales.
- Using models, examines the potential feedbacks of global changes on processes in agroecosystems, particularly those affecting Environmental Health.
- In cooperation with colleagues, devices and implements methods of testing the reliability of ecosystem models and quantifying the uncertainty of their projections.
Current research and/or projects
- Resilience to Climate Extremes (Decision support tools to mitigate extreme weather event impacts on production, Agro-Ecosystem Productivity and Health, Research; Development; Technology Transfer)
- The Wheat Disease Forecasting Network (Improving the identification and understanding of crop and livestock pests and beneficial organisms, Cereals, Development)
Professional activities / interests
- Food-water-energy nexus, Sustainability
- Climate change, Extreme events
- Integrated modeling, Risk analysis
- Decision analytics, Operational decision-support tools
- Machine-Learning, Spatial prediction
- Precision agriculture
Lu, W., Atkinson, D.E., Newlands, N.K. (2017). ENSO climate risk: predicting crop yield variability and coherence using cluster-based PCA, 3(4), 1343-1359. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s40808-017-0382-02017 - View publication details
Newlands, N.K., Gel, Y.R., Lyubchich, V., Lu, W. 2017. Weather index-based crop insurance: Exploring the benefits of Bayesian and Deep Learning models in crop yield prediction. 52nd Actuarial Research Conference (ARC 2017) Risk Management and Insurance, July 26-28: Theme: Actuarial Research at the Crossroads: Transcending Disciplines, Georgia State University (J. Mack Robinson School of Business), Atlantic, GA, USA.2017 - View publication details
Gagnon, P., Sheedy, C., Farenhorst, A., Cessna, A.J., Newlands, N.K., and McQueen, R.D.A. (2016). "Pesticides.", in Clearwater, R.L., Martin, T. and Hoppe, T. (eds.) - Environmental sustainability of Canadian agriculture: Agri-environmental indicator report series -- Report #4, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Chapter 14, pp. 153-165.2016 - View publication details
Newlands, N.K. (2016). Future Sustainable Ecosystems: Complexity, Risk, Uncertainty -- (Chapman & Hall/CRC Applied Environmental Statistics Series), USA: Taylor & Francis. (Book)2016 - View publication details
Smith, S., Bulmer, C., Newlands, N.K., Daneshfar, B., Frank, G., MacMillan, B., and Lelyk, G.L. (2016). "Digital soil mapping through disaggregation: aggravation or alleviation?", Canadian Society of Soil Science Annual Meeting, Kamloops, BC, Canada, 18 May, 2016, Presentation. (Abstract)2016 - View publication details
Newlands, N.K. (2016). "Sustainability and Prediction.", Agricultural Resilience Workshop, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, 6-7 June, 2016. (Presentation)2016 - View publication details
Chipanshi, A.C., Zhang, Y., Qi, D., and Newlands, N.K. (2016). "Crop yield outlooks under extreme weather: lessons learnt from Canada.", - 40th NOAA Climate Diagnostics and Prediction Workshop Special Issue (March) NWS Science and Technology Infusion Climate Bulletin Supplement, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Climatic Data Center, Asheville, NC, USA, pp. 154-158.2016 - View publication details
Newlands, N.K. (2016). "Can artificial intelligence and machine learning improve extreme weather agricultural risk assessment?", Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society (CMOS) and Canadian Geophysical Union Joint 50th Annual Congress, Fredericton, N.B., Canada, 29 May-2 June, 2016. (Abstract)2016 - View publication details
Newlands, N.K. Developing an Index-Based Methodology to Forecast the Integrated Risk of Extreme Weather to Agricultural Production Systems. Section on Risk Analysis, Invited Session on Statistical Modeling for Climate Risk Assessment at the Interface of Climate Change and Insurance -Invited Papers, Joint Statistical Meetings (JSM) , July 30-August 4th, 2016, Chicago, Illinois, USA.2016 - View publication details
Newlands, N.K. Keynote Address/Invited Plenary. Statistics in the Cognitive/Risk Era: Bridging Knowledge, Solutions and Pathways to a Sustainable World. 26th Annual Conference of The International Environmetrics Society 18th-22nd July, 2016, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK.2016 - View publication details
Newlands, N.K. et al. (2015). The Canadian Crop Yield Forecaster (CCYF). April 7th, Statement for Public Release (English/French). Government of Canada (Public Affairs, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, AAFC), Canada: Government of Canada/Gouvernement du Canada. (Book)2015 - View publication details
Newlands, N.K., Lu, W., and Porcelli, T.A. (2015). "Downscaling of regional climate scenarios within agricultural areas in Canada with a multi-variate, multi-site model (http://www.springer.com/mathematics/computational+science+%26+engineering/book/978-3-319-12306-6).", in Cojocaru, M., Kotsireas, I.S., Makarov, R.N., Melnik, R., and Shodiev, H. (eds.) - Interdisciplinary Topics in Applied Mathematics, Modeling and Computational Science; Springer-Verlag. Series: Springer Proceedings in Mathematics & Statistics, Vol. 117, Springer-Verlag GmbH, Chapter 48, pp. 335-340.2015 - View publication details
Zamar, D.S., Gopaluni, B., Sokhansanj, S., and Newlands, N.K. (2015). "Robust optimization of competing biomass supply-chains under feedstock uncertainty.", 2015 ADCHEM Conference, Whistler, B.C., Canada, June 7-10, 2015, IFAC Proceedings Volume 48, Issue 8; Oral Presentation, pp. 1222-1227.2015 - View publication details
Kouadio, L. and Newlands, N.K. (2015). "Building capacity for spatial-based sustainability metrics in agriculture.", Decision Analytics, 2(2), pp. 18 pages. doi : 10.1186/s40165-015-0011-92015 - View publication details
Kouadio, L., Newlands, N.K., Potgieter, A., McLean, G., and Hill, H.S. (2015). "Exploring the Potential Impacts of Climate Variability on Spring Wheat Yield with the APSIM Decision Support Tool.", Agricultural Sciences, 6(7), pp. 686-698. doi : 10.4236/as.2015.670662015 - View publication details
Gagnon, P., Sheedy, C., Farenhorst, A., Cessna, A.J., Newlands, N.K., and McQueen, R.D.A. (2015). "Environmental Sustainability of Canadian Agriculture: Agri-Environmental Indicator Report Series.", - Indicator of Risk of Water Contamination – Pesticides (IROWC-PEST), Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, pp. 8 pages.2015 - View publication details
Newlands, N.K. and Stephens, D.S. (2015). Increasing confidence in agricultural crop forecasts and climate adaptation decisions with causality analysis. University of British Columbia (UBC), Technical Report #275, 10pp. (http://www.stat.ubc.ca/Research/TechReports/tr/275.pdf). (Report)2015 - View publication details
Leggett, M., Newlands, N.K., Greenshields, D., West, L., Inman, S., Koivunen, M.E. (2015). Maize yield response to a phosphorus-solubilizing microbial inoculant in field trials, 153(8), 1464-1478. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S00218596140011662015 - View publication details
Chipanshi, A., Zhang, Y., Kouadio, L., Newlands, N., Davidson, A., Hill, H., Warren, R., Qian, B., Daneshfar, B., Bedard, F., Reichert, G. (2015). Evaluation of the Integrated Canadian Crop Yield Forecaster (ICCYF) model for in-season prediction of crop yield across the Canadian agricultural landscape, 206 137-150. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.agrformet.2015.03.0072015 - View publication details
Newlands, N.K., Sokhansanj, S., Gopaluni, B., and Zamar, D.S. (2014). "Bioenergy feedstocks: sustainable supply metrics and emerging economic development opportunities.", 2014 Bioenergy Modeling Workshop, Washington DC, USA, July 22-23, 2014, United States National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) and Department of Energy (DOE). (Abstract)2014 - View publication details
- 1 of 5
- next ›
- Adjunct Associate Professor in Geography, University of Victoria
- Editor for Frontiers in Environmental Science (Interdisciplinary Climate Studies)
- Member of the Canadian Statistical Society (SSC)
- Member of the The International Environmetrics Society (TIES)
- Member of the American Statistical Association (ASA)
- Member of the Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada (PIPSC)