Dr. Michael Sigmond
Research Scientist - Understanding, modelling and prediction of climate variability and change
Current research and/or projects
Understanding and predicting climate variability and climate change using climate models.
- Seasonal climate predictions (Arctic sea ice, stratosphere and its impact on the surface)
- Atmospheric large-scale circulation changes, and implications for regional climate
- Impact of the ozone hole on the Southern Ocean and Antarctic sea ice
- Local and remote climate impacts of Arctic sea ice melt
- Stratospheric climate change
Professional activities / interests
Co-author, WMO 2018 Ozone Assessment, Chapter 4 (Stratospheric ozone changes and climate)
Co-author, SPARC Report on the Evaluation of Chemistry-Climate Models, 2010, Chapter 3 (Radiation)
Co-author, SPARC Report on the Evaluation of Chemistry-Climate Models, 2010, Chapter 4 (Dynamics)
Education and awards
PhD. University of Eindhoven (The Netherlands) 2003
M.S. University of Utrecht (The Netherlands) 1999
- Sigmond, M., J. C. Fyfe, O. A. Saenko, and N. C. Swart, 2020: Ongoing AMOC and related sea level and temperature changes after achieving the Paris targets. Nat. Clim. Chang., 10, 672-677.
- Sigmond, M., J.C. Fyfe & N.C. Swart, 2018: Ice-free Arctic projections under the Paris Agreement, Nature Clim. Change, 8, 404-408
- Sigmond, M., M. C. Reader, G. M. Flato, W. J. Merryfield & A. Tivy, 2016: Skillful seasonal forecasts of Arctic sea ice retreat and advance dates in a dynamical forecast system, Geophys. Res. Lett., 43, 12457–12465.
- McCusker, K. E., J. Fyfe, & Sigmond, M., 2016: Twenty-five winters of unexpected Eurasian cooling unlikely due to Arctic sea-ice loss, Nature Geosc., 9, 838-842.
- Sigmond, M. & J.C. Fyfe, 2016: Tropical Pacific impacts on cooling North American winters, Nature Clim. Change, 6, 970-974.
- Sigmond, M. & T.G. Shepherd, 2014: Compensation between resolved wave driving and parameterized orographic gravity-wave driving of the Brewer-Dobson circulation and its response to climate change, J. Clim., 27, 5601-5610.
- Sigmond, M. & J.C. Fyfe, 2014: The Antarctic sea ice response to the ozone hole in climate models, J. Clim, 27, 1336–42.
- Sigmond, M., J. C. Fyfe, G.M. Flato, V.V. Kharin & W.J. Merryfield, 2013: Seasonal forecast skill of Arctic sea ice area in a dynamical forecast system, Geophys. Res. Lett., 40, 529-534.
- Sigmond, M., J. F. Scinocca, V.V. Kharin, T.G. Shepherd, 2013: Enhanced seasonal forecast skill following stratospheric sudden warmings, Nature Geosci., 6, 98-102.
- Sigmond, M., M. C. Reader, J.C. Fyfe & N. Gillett, 2011: Drivers of past and future Southern Ocean change: stratospheric ozone versus greenhouse gas impacts, Geophys. Res. Lett., 38, L12601.
- Kang, S.M., L.M. Polvani, J.C. Fyfe & M. Sigmond, 2011: Impact of Polar Ozone Depletion on Subtropical Precipitation, Science, 332, 951-954.
- Sigmond, M. & J. C. Fyfe, 2010: Has the ozone hole contributed to increased Antarctic sea ice extent? Geophys. Res. Lett., 37, L18502.
- Sigmond, M., J. C. Fyfe & J. F. Scinocca, 2010: Does the ocean impact the atmospheric response to stratospheric ozone depletion? Geophys. Res. Lett., 37, L12706.
- Sigmond, M. & J. F. Scinocca, 2010: The influence of basic state on the Northern Hemisphere circulation response to climate change, J. Clim., 23, 1434-1446.
- Sigmond, M., J. F. Scinocca & P. J. Kushner, 2008: Impact of the stratosphere on tropospheric climate change, Geophys. Res. Lett., 35, L12706.
- Sigmond, M., P. J. Kushner & J. F. Scinocca, 2007: Discriminating robust and non-robust atmospheric circulation responses to global warming, J. Geophys. Res., 112, D20121.
- Sigmond, M., P. C. Siegmund, E. Manzini & H. Kelder, 2004: A simulation of the separate climate effects of middle atmospheric and tropospheric CO2 doubling. J. Climate, 17(12), 2352-2367.
- Sigmond, M., P. C. Siegmund & H. Kelder, 2003: Analysis of the coupling between the stratospheric meridional wind and the surface level zonal wind during 1979-93 Northern Hemisphere extratropical winters. Clim. Dyn., 21, 211-219.
- Sigmond, M., J. Meloen & P. C. Siegmund, 2000: Stratosphere-troposphere exchange in an extratropical cyclone, calculated with a Lagrangian method. Ann. Geophys., 18, 573-582.
Ocean, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences Building, A203, 3800 Finnerty Rd
Victoria, BC V8W 3R4Canada
Adjunct Professor, School of Earth and Ocean Sciences, University of Victoria
Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society (Member)
American Geophysical Union (Member)
American Meteorological Society (Member)