Dr. Marc St-Onge
Current research and/or projects
I have led multiple geological projects in remote parts of the world, from the Coppermine River area in the NWT (where my colleagues and I discovered the oldest rocks in the world) to Banks Island, the Keewatin, northern Quebec, southern, central and northern Baffin Island, western Greenland, Scotland, Greece, the Himalaya of Pakistan, India and Nepal and the Tibetan Plateau in China. I was appointed Senior Research Fellow at the University of Oxford in 2004 and Fellow of the Royal Canadian Geographical Society in 2010. My innovative work led to the publication of the “Geological Map of the Arctic” in 2011, the “Tectonic Map of Arctic Canada” in 2015, and the GSC’s first-ever geological maps in Inuktitut, also in 2015. Presently I am co-lead on the Canada-3D project, which among other objectives aims to produce an updated digital "Geological Map of Canada".
Research and/or project statements
- Geology of Baffin Island
- Geological and tectonic evolution of the Arctic
- Geology of Tibet and Nepal
- Petrology of eclogites and pelitic migmatites
- Geological Map of Canada (Canada in 3D)
Professional activities / interests
- Fellow, Geological Association of Canada
- Fellow, Geological Society of America
- Fellow, Royal Canadian Geographical Society
- Earth Sciences Resource Person, Adventure Canada
- Arctic and Antarctic Geoscience (AAG) theme champion, 35th International Geological Congress, Cape Town, South Africa
- Project Leader, Geomapping for Energy and Minerals (GEM) Program, Baffin Island region, Nunavut
- Project Leader, Open Geoscience Program, Canada in 3D
- Mike Searle (University of Oxford)
- Owen Weller (University of Cambridge)
- Richard Palin (Colorado School of Mines)
- Brendan Dyck (Simon Fraser)
- Randall Orndorff and Tom Moore (USGS)
- Manuel Pubellier and Philippe Rossi (CGMW)
- Christopher Harrison, Boyan Brodaric, Nicole Rayner, Dianne Paul (NRCan/GSC)
Education and awards
- B.Sc. in Geology, University of Ottawa (1977)
- Ph.D. in Petrology, Queen’s University (1981)
- Teaching Excellence Award, Engineering Students Society, Queen’s University, 1984
- Teaching Excellence Award, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Queen’s University, 1989
- Geological Association of Canada Award, 1994
- Earth Sciences Sector Merit Award, 1998, 2006, and 2008
- Howard Street Robinson Medal, Geological Association of Canada, 1999
- Natural Resources Canada Departmental Merit Award, 1999 and 2011
- Recipient, Queen’s Golden Jubilee Medal, Ottawa, 2002
- Recipient of the Mine Raglan Prize, PM Arctic tour, 2013
- Named one of Canada’s Top 100 modern-day explorers, Royal Canadian Geographical Society, 2015
- Geologic Mapping Award in Honour of Florence Bascom, Geological Society of America, 2016
- Gold Medal, Royal Canadian Geographic Society, 2016
International experience and/or work
Greenland, Scotland, Greece, India, Pakistan, Nepal, China
- St-Onge, M.R. and Davis, W.J., 2018. Wopmay orogen revisited: Phase equilibria modeling, detrital zircon geochronology, and U-Pb monazite dating of a regional Buchan-type metamorphic sequence. Geological Society of America Bulletin, 130, 678-704, https://doi.org/10.1130/B31809.
- Weller, O.M. and St-Onge, M.R., 2017. Record of modern-style plate tectonics in the Palaeoproterozoic Trans-Hudson orogen. Nature Geoscience, 10, 305-311, doi: 10.1038/NGEO2904.
- St-Onge, M.R., Harrison, J.C., Paul, D., Tella, S., Brent, T., Jauer, C. and Maclean, B., 2015. Tectonic Map of Arctic Canada (TeMAC). Geological Survey of Canada, Canadian Geoscience Map 187, (ed. prelim.), 1:4 000 000 scale. doi:10.4095/295945.
- St-Onge, M.R., Rayner, N., Palin, R.M., Searle, M.P., and Waters, D.J., 2013. Integrated pressure-temperature-time constraints for the Tso Morari dome (Northwest India): Implications for the burial and exhumation path of UHP units in the western Himalaya. Journal of Metamorphic Geology, doi: 10.1111/jmg.12030.
- Weller, O.M., St-Onge, M.R., Waters, D.J., Rayner, N., Searle, M.P., S.-L. Chung, Palin, R.M., Y.-H. Lee and X. Xu, 2013. Quantifying Barrovian metamorphism in the Danba Structural Culmination of eastern Tibet. Journal of Metamorphic Geology, doi: 10.111/jmg.12050.
- Harrison, J.C., St-Onge, M.R., Petrov, O., Strelnikov, S., Lopatin, B., Wilson, F., Tella, S., Paul, D., Lynds, T., Shokalsky, S., Hults, C., Bergman, S., Jepsen, H.F., and Solli, A., 2011. Geological map of the Arctic. Geological Survey of Canada, Map 2159A, 1:5 000 000 scale, DVD with user guide. doi:10.4095/287868.
- St-Onge, M.R., van Gool, J.A.M., Garde, A.A., and Scott, D.J., 2009. Correlation of Archaean and Palaeoproterozoic units between northeastern Canada and western Greenland: constraining the pre-collisional upper plate accretionary history of the Trans-Hudson orogen. Geological Society, Special Publication, 318, 193-235, doi: 10.1144/SP318.7.
- St-Onge, M.R., Searle, M.P., and Wodicka, N., 2006. Trans-Hudson Orogen of North America and Himalaya-Karakoram-Tibetan Orogen of Asia: Structural and thermal characteristics of the lower and upper plates. Tectonics, 25, 22 p., doi: 10.1029/2005TC001907.