Dr. Manuel Juárez
Dr. Manuel Juárez coordinates the Livestock Phenomics program, linking livestock genomics and phenotypical research focused on meat production. Dr. Juárez applies a holistic approach to evaluate the interactions between genetic and environmental factors, being able to quantify their relative contribution on animal performance, carcass and meat quality traits. Breeders can benefit from being able to select and sort animals based on current and expected market conditions. His goal is the optimization of livestock production systems to maximize profitability while maintaining or enhancing carcass and meat quality.
Current research and/or projects
- Classifying Canadian pork based on quality attributes. Swine Innovation Porc. 2018-2022.
- Developing a Canadian Total Quality Management System for Beef Processing. Beef Cattle Research Council. 2018-2023.
- Canada's National Beef Quality Audit at Retail and Processing. Beef Cattle Research Council. 2020-2023.
Research and/or project statements
- Linking livestock genomics and phenotypical research
- Evaluation of interactions between genetic and environmental factors
- Selection of animals and production systems based on current and expected market conditions
- Optimization of livestock production systems to maximize profitability while maintaining or enhancing carcass and meat quality
Professional activities / interests
- Associate Editor in the area of Meat Science for the Canadian Journal of Animal Science
- Past President Canadian Meat Science Association
- Volunteer at the Alberta Science Network
Education and awards
- Management and Leadership Development Program. Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada. 2016
- Master in Management of Agri-Food Companies. EOI Spain (Executive Education International). 2008
- PhD in Animal Production. European PhD Program. University of Seville. 2007
- Master Business Administration (MBA). International Business Centre (CEREM). 2003
- Doctor Veterinary Medicine. University of Cordoba. 2002
- Award for Best Communication in the area of “Meat and Health”. 56th International Congress of Meat Science and Technology (ICoMST). Jeju, South Korea. 2010
- 2007-2008 PhD Award of Excellence. University of Seville. 2010
- Award Young Researcher “Intervet”. SEOC (Spanish Sheep and Goat Breeders Association). Badajoz. Spain. 2003
- Award Best Scientific Communication. 7th Army Veterinary Congress. Madrid. Spain. 2003
International experience and/or work
2019: A/Director Research Development and Technology (Alberta).
2017-218: A/Associate Director Research Development and Technology. AAFC-Lethbridge and Summerland Research and Development Centres.
2017-2108: President Canadian Meat Science Association.
2012-2013: A/Director of Operations. AAFC-Lacombe Research Centre. Lacombe, AB, Canada.
2011-Present: Livestock Phenomics Scientist. Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada. Lacombe, AB, Canada.
2009-20110: NSERC Post-doctoral Fellow. Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada. Lacombe, AB, Canada.
2008: Quality Differentiation Specialist. Spanish Association of Malagueña Goat Breeders. Malaga, Spain.
2007: Meat Quality Researcher. Italian Agriculture Research Council (C.R.A.). Monterotondo, Rome. Italy.
2005-2006: Research Assistant. TEAGASC. Ashtown Food Research Centre. Dublin, Ireland.
2003-2004: Veterinary and Production Manager. Honkolan Kartano. Urjala, Finland.
2002-2003: Applied Geneticist. Spanish Merino Sheep Breeders’ Association. Madrid, Spain.
M.E.R. Dugan, V. Salazar, D.C. Rolland, P. Vahmani, J.L. Aalhus, Ó. Lo´ pez-Campos, N. Prieto, and2019 - View publication details
M. Juárez. 2019. Retail lamb fat composition in western Canada. dx.doi.org/10.1139/cjas-2019-0003
Uttaro, B., Zawadski, S., Aalhus, J., Lopez-Campos, O., Prieto, N., Juarez, M. (2018) Towards an automated pork belly system based on degree of firmness. 64th International Congress of Meat Science and Technology (ICoMST), August 12-17, 2018, Melbourne, Australia2018 - View publication details
Juarez, M., Horcada, A., Prieto, N., Roberts, J.C., Dugan, M.E.R., Lopez-Campos, O, Uttaro, B., Larsen, I.L., Hosford, S., Galbraith J., Aalhus J.L. 2017 Guaranteeing Canadian lamb meat quality using near infrared spectroscopy on intact rack. Can J Anim Sci. 98: 390-393. doi:10.1139/CJAS-2017-01062018 - View publication details
Banff Pork Seminars 2018.2018 - View publication details
Juárez, M., Roberts, J.C., López-Campos, Ó., Prieto, N., Aalhus, J.L. (2018). Focusing on phenomics to unlock the potential of livestock genomics, 13 http://dx.doi.org/10.1079/PAVSNNR2018130192018 - View publication details
Roberts, J.C., and Juarez, M. 2017. The value of carcass and meat quality information. In BeefTech 2017. Edmonton, Canada.2017 - View publication details
Roberts, J. C., Rodas-González, A. R., Juárez, M., Lopez-Campos, O., Larsen, I. L., & Aalhus, J. L. Tenderness and sensory attributes of eleven muscles from carcasses within the Canadian cull cow grades. Canadian Journal of Animal Science. https://doi.org/10.1139/CJAS-2017-01052017 - View publication details
Roberts, J.C., and Juarez, M. 2017. Evaluating classification methods for Canadian lamb carcasses. Sheep Canada. 32(3):17-20.2017 - View publication details
Soladoye, O.P., Shand, P., Dugan, M.E.R., Gariépy, C., Aalhus, J.L., Estévez, M., Juárez, M. (2017). Influence of cooking methods and storage time on lipid and protein oxidation and heterocyclic aromatic amines production in bacon, 99 660-669. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2017.06.0292017 - View publication details
Juárez, M., Dugan, M.E.R., López-Campos, Ó., Prieto, N., Uttaro, B., Gariépy, C., Aalhus, J.L. (2017). Relative contribution of breed, slaughter weight, sex, and diet to the fatty acid composition of differentiated pork, 97(3), 395-405. http://dx.doi.org/10.1139/CJAS-2016-01032017 - View publication details
- 1 of 19
- next ›
- Adjunct Professor University of Saskatchewan
- Adjunct Professor University of Manitoba
- Adjunct Professor University of Guelph