Current research and/or projects
I am a Geologist with the Geological Survey of Canada, Natural Resources Canada which is part of the Bedford Institute of Oceanography. My job as a Research Scientist is to understand the rocks that are found thousands of meters below the ocean floor in areas offshore of Canada. My job is fascinating because I use evidence in the rocks to put together a geological story, which helps us understand what the Earth looked like in the past and how the rocks can economically benefit Canada.
Research and/or project statements
Current Research Projects:
- Currently leading the “Stratigraphic and Tectonic Framework for the Baffin Bay Petroleum Systems” activity under the GEM-2 Program. Primary goals are to use sequence stratigraphy and depositional paleoenvironments offshore Labrador to better understand the nature of stratigraphic and seismic horizons as an analogue for Baffin Bay.
- Developing strategies for understanding the depositional history in offshore petroleum basins using integration of core data, cuttings analysis, biostratigraphy and seismic interpretation.
- Revising the stratigraphic and tectonic framework for Orphan Basin, offshore northeast Newfoundland with a focus on the Mesozoic rift and early post-rift history, as well as the complex stratigraphy within the Cenozoic section.
- Analysis of a multi-disciplinary dataset offshore western Newfoundland in St. George’s Bay to map bedrock, basement character and the Quaternary geology using multibeam bathymetry, aeromagnetic, seismic, and well data.
Professional activities / interests
Collaboration with scientists from universities and provincial governments to study and understand sedimentary rocks from the Atlantic provinces.
Education and awards
Ph.D. Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB.
B.Sc. (Hons.) Geology, Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB
- Dafoe, L.T., Keen, C.E., Dickie, K. and Williams, G.L., 2015. Regional stratigraphy and subsidence of Orphan Basin near the time of breakup and implications for rifting processes. Basin Research, 1-22, doi: 10.1111/bre.12147.
- Keen, C.E., Dafoe, L.T. and Dickie, K., 2014. A volcanic province near the western termination of the Charlie-Gibbs Fracture Zone at the rifted margin, offshore Northeast Newfoundland. Tectonics, 33:1133-1153, doi:10.1002/2014TC003537.
- Prescott, Z.M., Stimson, M.R., Dafoe, L.T., Gibling, M.R., MacRae, R.A., Calder, J.H., and Hebert, B.L., 2014. Microbial mats and ichnofauna of a fluvial-tidal channel in the Lower Pennsylvanian Joggins Formation, Canada. Palaios, 29: 624-645.
Associate editor for the journal ICHNOS, a publication to promote the ichnological research of plant and animal traces.