Dr. Karen Fong
Dr. Fong leads a food microbiomics research program that is focused on investigating pathogen mitigation (Salmonella, Verotoxin-producing E. coli). Her group primarily uses omics technology to characterize novel approaches to ensure the safety and security of the Canadian food supply. Additional research interests include: food and environmental metagenomics, antimicrobial resistance, and microbiology of fresh produce commodities.
Dr. Fong holds a PhD in Food Science from The University of British Columbia.
- Falardeau J, Fong K & Wang S. 2021. Foodborne outbreak investigations. In: Food System Transparency. Eds: Steier G & Friedlander A. CRC Press/Taylor & Francis Group. Boca Raton, FL, USA.
- Fong K, Wong CWY, Wang S, & Delaquis P. 2021. How broad is enough: The host range of bacteriophages and its impact on the Agri-Food sector. PHAGE. In press.
- Brenner T, Fong K, Lee S, Wang S*. 2020. A dynamic method for broad-spectrum bacteriophage cocktail formulation against poultry-associated Salmonella enterica. PHAGE. 1(2):109-117.
- Bogan AL, Fong K, Trmcic A, Wang S, Frostad JM*. 2020. Evaluation of non-traditional visualization methods to detect surface attachment of biofilms. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces. 196: 111320.
- He S, Fong K, Wang S*, Shi X*. 2020. Ethanol adaptation in foodborne bacterial pathogens. Crit. Rev. Food Sci. Nutr. doi:10.1080/10408398.2020.1746628
- Fong K, Mu K, Rheault JG, Levesque RC, Kitts D, Delaquis P, Goodridge L, Wang S*. 2020. Bacteriophage-insensitive mutants of antimicrobial-resistant Salmonella enterica are altered in their tetracycline resistance and virulence in Caco-2 intestinal cells. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 21(5): 1883.
- Wong WYC, Delaquis P, Goodridge L, Levesque RC, Fong K, Wang S*. 2019. Inactivation of Salmonella enterica on post-harvest cantaloupe and lettuce by a lytic bacteriophage cocktail. Curr. Res. Food Sci. 2: 25-32.
- Fong K, Tremblay DM, Delaquis P, Goodridge L, Levesque RC, Moineau S, Suttle CA, Wang S*. 2019. Diversity and host specificity revealed by biological characterization and whole genome sequencing of bacteriophages infecting Salmonella enterica. Viruses. 11(9): 854.
- Falardeau J, Walji K, Haure M, Fong K, Taylor G, Ma Y, Smukler S, Wang S*. 2018. Native bacterial communities and Listeria monocytogenes survival in soils collected from the Lower Mainland of British Columbia, Canada. Can. J. Microbiol. 64:1-11.
- Goodridge L, Fong K, Wang S, Delaquis, P*. 2018. Bacteriophage-based weapons for the war against foodborne pathogens. Curr. Opin. Food Sci. 20: 69-75.
- Fong K, LaBossiere B, Switt AIM, Delaquis P, Goodridge L, Levesque RC, Danyluk MD, Wang S*. 2017. Characterization of four novel bacteriophages isolated from British Columbia for control of non-typhoidal Salmonella in vitro and on sprouting alfalfa seeds. Front. Microbiol. 8:2193.
- Fong K, Falardeau J, Rideout K, Wilcott L, Fong D, Wang S*. 2017. Opinions of provincial food safety specialists on addressing Canadian beef processing risks. Food Prot. Trends. 37(5): 316-331.
- Fong K, Wang S*. 2016. Strain-specific survival of Salmonella enterica in peanut oil, peanut shell and chia seeds. J. Food Prot. 79(3):361-8.
- Fong K, Wang S*. 2017. Heat resistance of Salmonella enterica is increased by pre-adaptation to peanut oil or sub-lethal heat exposure. Food Microbiol. 58:139-147.