Dr. John Mark Hanson
Research in coastal, estuarine, and marine ecology
Current research and/or projects
My main research area is population and community ecology of estuarine and marine waters.
My current research program is mainly located in the southern Gulf of Saint Lawrence and includes:
- quantifying predator-prey interactions in coastal and estuarine ecosystems;
- documenting the colonization, spread, and ecosystem effects of alien and native invasive species;
- developing ecosystem-level models of the structure of, and exchange between, coastal waters of Northumberland Strait and adjacent estuaries;
- and evaluating potential endemism in the fish and large decapod communities.
Professional activities / interests
Co-editor-in-Chief: Aquatic Invasions & BioInvasions Records
Education and awards
- M. Sc. (1980), University of Ottawa
- Ph. D. (1985), McGill
(84) Debertin AJ, Hanson JM, Courtenay SC (2017) Linking zooplankton assemblages with oceanographic zones in an Atlantic coastal ecosystem. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences (in press)
(83) Lighten J, Incarnato D, Ward B, van Oosterhout C, Bradbury I, Hanson JM, Bentzen P (2016) Adaptive phenotypic response to climate enabled by epigenetics in a K-strategy species, the fish Leucoraja ocellata (Rajidae). Royal Society Open Science DOI: 10.1098/rsos.160299.
(82) Lucy FE, Roy H, Simpson A, Carlton JT, Hanson JM, Magellan K, Campbell ML, Costello MJ, Pagad S, Hewitt CL, McDonald J, Cassey P, Thomaz SM, Katsanevakis S, Zenetos A, Tricarico E, Boggero A, Groom QJ, Adriaens T, Vanderhoeven S, Torchin M, Hufbauer R, Fuller P, Carman MR, Conn DB, Vitule JRS, Canning-Clode J, Galil BS, Ojaveer H, Bailey SA, Therriault TW, Claudi R, Gazda A, Dick JTA, Caffrey J, Witt A, Kenis M, Lehtiniemi M, Helmisaari H, & Panov VE (2016) INVASIVESNET towards an International Association for Open Knowledge on Invasive Alien Species. Managing Biological Invasions 7: 131-139.
(81) Hanson JM, Comeau M & Rondeau A. (2014) Atlantic rock crab, unlike American lobster, is important to ecosystem functioning in Northumberland Strait. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 143: 1266-1279.
(80) Hanson JM & Wilson T (2014) Abundance, distribution, and diet of a small-bodied ecotype of windowpane flounder. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 143: 650-659.
(79) Kelly JT, & Hanson JM (2013). Maturity, size-at-age, and predator-prey relationships of winter skate (Leucoraja ocellata) in the southern Gulf of St. Lawrence: potentially an undescribed endemic species facing extinction. Journal of Fish Biology 82: 959-978.
(78) Kelly JT, & Hanson JM. (2013). Abundance, distribution, and habitat characteristics of winter skate (Leucoraja ocellata) in the southern Gulf of St. Lawrence: a population on the brink of extirpation? Journal of Fish Biology 82: 877-892.
(77) Comeau LA, Sonier R, & Hanson JM. (2012) Seasonal movements of Atlantic Rock Crab (Cancer irroratus Say) transplanted into a mussel aquaculture site. Aquaculture Research 43: 509-517
(76) Locke A & Hanson JM (2011) Trends in invasive ascidian research: a view from the 3rd International Invasive Sea Squirt Conference. Aquatic Invasions 6: 367-370.
(75) Hanson JM (2011) Ontogenetic diet comparison of Atlantic cod and white hake during a period of historically low population abundances. Transaction of the American Fisheries Society 140:1070-1077.
(74) Bosman SH, Methven DA, Courtenay SC, & Hanson JM. 2011. Fish assemblages in a north Atlantic coastal ecosystem: Spatial patterns and Environmental correlates. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 92: 232-245.
(73) Morissette L, Castonguay M, Savenkoff C, Swain DP, Chabot D, Bourdages H, Hammill MO, & Hanson, JM (2009) Contrasting changes between the northern and southern Gulf of St. Lawrence ecosystems associated with the collapse of groundfish stocks. Deep Sea Research II. 56: 2117-2131.
(72) Darbyson EA, Hanson JM, Locke A, & Willison JHM (2009). Survival of European green crab exposed to simulated overland and boating-vector transport conditions. Journal of Shellfish Research 28:377-382.
(71) Hanson JM (2009) Predator-prey relations of American lobster in the southern Gulf of St. Lawrence. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 43:69-88.
(70) Locke A, & Hanson JM (2009) Rapid response to non-indigenous tunicates. 3. A proposed framework. Aquatic Invasions 4: 259-273
(69) Locke A, Hanson JM, MacNair NG, & Smith., A. H. (2009) Rapid response to non-indigenous tunicates. 2. Case studies of non-indigenous tunicates in Prince Edward Island. Aquatic Invasions 4: 249-258
(68) Locke A, & Hanson JM (2009) Rapid response to non-indigenous tunicates. 1. Goals and a history of rapid response in the marine environment. Aquatic Invasions 4: 237-247
(67) Darbyson EA, Hanson JM, Locke A, & Willison JHM (2009) Settlement and potential for transport of clubbed tunicate on boat hulls. Aquatic Invasions 4: 95-103
(66) Bernier RY, Locke A & Hanson JM (2009). Lobsters and crabs as potential vectors for tunicate dispersal in the southern Gulf of St. Lawrence. Aquatic Invasions 4: 105-110.
(65) Darbyson EA, Locke A, Hanson JM, & Willison JHM (2009) Marine Boating Habits and the Spread of Invasive Species in the southern Gulf of St. Lawrence, Canada. Aquatic Invasions 4: 87-94.
(64) Chabot D, Sainte-Marie B, Briand B, & Hanson JM (2008) Atlantic cod and snow crab predator-prey relationship in the Gulf of St. Lawrence, Canada. Marine Ecology Progress Series 363:227-240.
(63) Savenkoff C, Morissette L, Castonguay M, Swain DP, Hammill MO, Chabot D, & Hanson JM (2008) Interactions between marine mammals and fisheries: Implications for cod recovery. Pages 107-151 In: “Ecosystem Ecology Research Trends”, edited by J. Chen and C. Guô. Nova Science Publishers, Inc., New York.
(62) Swain DP, Sinclair AF, & Hanson JM (2008) Evolution of growth in Gulf of St. Lawrence cod: Reply to Heino et al. Proceedings of the Royal Society. B. Biological Sciences 275: 1113-1115.
(61) Bowlby HD, Hanson JM, & Hutchings JA (2008) Stock Structure and seasonal distribution pattern of American lobster, Homarus americanus, inferred through movement analysis. Fisheries Research 90: 279-288.
(60) Voutier JL, & Hanson JM (2008) Abundance, distribution, and feeding of a disjunct population lady crab in the southern Gulf of St. Lawrence. Aquatic Ecology 42: 43-60.
(59) Swain DP, Sinclair AF, & Hanson JM (2007) Evolutionary response to size-selective mortality in an exploited fish population. Proceedings of the Royal Society. B. Biological Sciences 274: 1015-1022.
(58) Savenkoff C, Swain DP, Hanson JM, Despatie S, Castonguay M, Hammill MO, Bourdages H, Morissette L, & Chabot D (2007) Effects of fishing and predation in a heavily exploited ecosystem: Comparing pre- and post-groundfish collapse periods in the southern Gulf of St. Lawrence (Canada). Ecological Modelling 204: 115-128
(57) Bowlby HD, Hanson JM, & Hutchings JA (2007) Resident and dispersal behavior among individuals within a population of American lobster, Homarus americanus. Marine Ecology Progress Series 331: 207-218
(56) Locke A, Hanson JM, Ellis KM, Thompson J, & Rochette R (2007) Invasion of the southern Gulf of St. Lawrence by the clubbed tunicate (Styela clava Herdman): why have estuaries in Prince Edward Island been more susceptible? Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 342: 69-77.
(55) Davis A, Hanson JM, Watts H, & MacPherson H (2004) Local ecological knowledge and marine fisheries research: the case of white hake predation on juvenile American lobster. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 61: 1191-1201.
(54) Locke A, Hanson JM, Richardson SM, Aubé CI, & Klassen GJ (2003) The damming of the Petitcodiac River: species, populations, and habitats lost. Northeast Naturalist 10: 39-54.
(53) Richardson SM, Hanson JM, & Locke A (2002) Effect of duration of drawdown on the benthic invertebrate and macrophyte community of a coastal headpond. Aquatic Ecology 36:493-510.
(52) Hanson JM, & Chouinard GA (2002) Diet of cod in the southern Gulf of St Lawrence as an index of ecosystem change, 1959-2000. Journal of Fish Biology 60: 902-922.
(51) Sinclair AF, Swain DP, & Hanson JM (2002) Disentangling the effects of size-selective mortality, density, and temperature on length-at-age. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 59: 372-382.
(50) Sinclair AF, Swain DP, & Hanson JM (2002) Measuring changes in the direction and magnitude of size-selective mortality in a commercial fish population. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 59: 361-371.
(49) Hanson JM, & Locke A (2001) Survey of freshwater mussels in the Petitcodiac River and tributaries, New Brunswick. Canadian Field-Naturalist 115: 329-340.
(48) Comeau LA, Campana SE, Chouinard GA, & Hanson JM (2001) Timing of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua L.) seasonal migrations in relation to serum levels of gonadal and thyroidal hormones. Marine Ecology Progress Series 221: 245-253.
(47) Zahner-Meike E, & Hanson JM (2001) Effects of muskrat predation on Najads. In G. Bauer and K Wachtler [eds] Ecology and evolutionary biology of the freshwater mussels Unionoida. Ecological Studies Volume 145: 163-184. Springer Verlag, Berlin.
(46) Comeau LA, Campana SE, Hanson JM, & Chouinard GA (2000) Seasonal changes of thyroid hormones in field-collected Atlantic cod in relation to condition factor, water temperature and photoperiod. Journal of Fish Biology 57: 571-588.
(45) Hanson JM, & Locke A (2000) Conservation status of the dwarf wedgemussel, Alasmidonta heterodon (Lea 1830), in Canada. Canadian Field-Naturalist 114: 271-278
(44) Campana SE, Chouinard G, Hanson JM, Frechet A, & Brattey J (2000) Otolith elemental fingerprints as biological tracers of fish stocks. Fisheries Research 46: 343-357.
(43) Hanson JM, & Lanteigne M (2000) Evaluation of Atlantic cod predation on American lobster in the southern Gulf of St. Lawrence, with comments on other potential fish predators. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 129:13-29.