Current research and/or projects
Radiation dosimetry and microdosimetry, radiation protection and risk assessment
- environmental radiation measurement and risk assessment
- radiation protection for patients
Professional activities / interests
- member of Canadian Radiation Protection Association
- member of the editorial board of Radiation Protection Dosimetry
- member of the editorial board of Radiation Environmental Biophysics
- advisor to the United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation
- member of the Radioactivity Expert Group, Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Programme (AMAP)
- member of the Expert Group on Radiological Protection Science, OECD Nuclear Energy Agency's Committee on Radiation Protection and Public Health (CRPPH)
Education and awards
1991, Ph.D. Health Physics, University of Wuerzburg, Germany
2010 Deputy Minister's Award of Excellence in Science
2011 Deputy Minister's Award of Excellence in Science
2012 Distinguished Achievement Award for outstanding contributions in the field of radiation protection, Canadian Radiation Protection Association.
2012 Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal
Chen, J. Kellerer, A. M. and Rossi, H. H.
On the Revised Concept of Linear Energy Transfer
Radiation Environmental Biophysics 34:29-36, 1995
Chen, J. Meyerhof, D. P. and Tracy, B. L.
Model results of kidney burdens form uranium intakes
Health Physics, 86(1):3-11, 2004
Canadian individual risks of radon induced lung cancer for different exposure profiles
Canadian Journal of Public Health, 96(5):360-364 (2005)
Radiation quality of tritium
Radiation Protection Dosimetry, 122:546-548 (2006)
Chen, J. Mares, V.
Estimate of doses to the foetus during commercial flights
Health Physics, 95:407-412 (2008)
Chen, J. Ly, J. Schroth, E. Hnatiuk, S. Frenette, E. Blain, MF.
Radon diffusion coefficients of vapour-barrier membranes used in Canadian building construction
Radiation and Environmental Biophysics, 48:153-158 (2009)
Chen, J. Moir, D. Cornett, J.
Considerations and preliminary design of patient exposure registry
Radiation Protection Dosimetry, 142:255-264 (2010)
Chen, J. Lariviere, D. Timmins, R. Verdecchia, K.
Estimation of uranium GI absorption coefficients for children and adults
Radiation Protection Dosimetry, 144:379-383 (2011)
The development of fetal dosimetry and its application to atomic bomb survivors exposed in utero
Radiation Protection Dosimetry, 149:60-66 (2012)
Estimated yield of double-strand breaks from internal exposure to tritium Radiation Environmental Biophysics, 51:295-302 (2012)
Chen, J. Moir, D. Lane, R. Thompson, P.
An ecological study of cancer incidence in Port Hope, Ontario from 1992 to 2007
Journal of Radiological Protection, 33:227-242 (2013)