Dr. Jidong Kang, P.Eng., I.W.E.
Mechanical testing and welding
Current research and/or projects
I am a research scientist at CanmetMATERIALS (CMAT), Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. I have extensive research experience in both experimental studies and modeling in mechanical behavior of structural materials, physical metallurgy and welding mechanics for a wide range of engineering materials.
Research and/or project statements
Current Research Projects:
- Quantitative microstructure-mechanical property relationship and constitutive modeling in materials and joints (e.g. resistance spot welds and self-piercing rivets).
- Structural integrity of pipe steels (e.g. stress corrosion cracking and fracture mechanics).
- Advanced materials characterization techniques (e.g. digital image correlation and X-ray computed tomography).
Professional activities / interests
- Professional Engineer registered in the Province of Ontario
- Member, ASTM International, Canadian Standard Association
- Supervise coop, undergraduate and graduate students
- Networking: David S. Wilkinson (McMaster U), Kaan Inal (U of Waterloo), David Sigler, Blair Carlson, Raja R. Mishra (General Motors Global R&D Centre), Xuming Su, Carlos Engler-Pinto, Katherine Avery (Ford Motor Company Research and Innovation Centre), Kevin Gong (Constellium ASNA)
Education and awards
- B.Eng. Welding Equipment and Technology, Nanchang Hangkong University, 1987.
- M.Eng. Experimental Mechanics, Xi’an Jiaotong University, 1990.
- D.Eng. Welding, Tianjin University, 1994.
- International Welding Engineer, International Institute of Welding, 2008.
- Society for Automotive Engineers International (SAE) Forest R. McFarland Award, 2015.
- American Society for Testing and Materials International (ASTM) B07 Light Metal Committee Award of Appreciation, 2014.
- American Society for Testing and Materials International (ASTM) E08 Fatigue and Fracture Committee Award of Appreciation, 2014.
- Society for Automotive Engineers International (SAE) Excellence in Oral Presentation, 2005.
- Kang, Jidong, Zheng, Wenyue, Bibby, Darren, Shalchi Amirkhiz, Babak, Li, Jian, Initiation of Stress Corrosion Cracks in X80 and X100 Pipe Steels in Near-neutral pH Environment. Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 25:227-240, 2016.
- Muhammad Waqas, Mohammadi Mohsen, Kang, Jidong, Mishra, R.K., Inal, Kaan, An elasto-plastic constitutive model for evolving asymmetric/anisotropic hardening behavior of AZ31B and ZEK100 magnesium alloy sheet subjected to monotonic and reverse loading paths. International Journal of Plasticity, 70: 30-59, 2015.
- Kang, Jidong, McDermid, J.R., Bruhis, M., Determination of the constitutive behavior of AA6022-T4 aluminum alloy spot welds at large strains. Materials Science and Engineering A, 567:95-100, 2013.
- Hosokawa, A, Wilkinson, D.S., Kang, Jidong, Maire, E., Effect of triaxiality on void growth and coalescence in model materials investigated by X-ray tomography. Acta Materialia, 60(6-7), 2829–2839, 2012.
- Kang, Jidong, Wilkisnon, D. S., Wu, P.D., Bruhis, M., Jain, M., Embury, J. D., Mishra, R., Constitutive behavior of AA5754 sheet materials at large strains. ASME Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, 130(3), 031004-1-5, 2008.
- Adjunct professor, Dept. of Materials Science and Engineering, McMaster University.
- Adjunct professor, Dept. of Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering, University of Waterloo.