Dr. Jianping Zhang
Senior Mining Taxation Analyst
Research and Analysis in Mining Tax Policy
Natural Resources Canada
Research and/or project statements
- Advises the Minister, senior NRCan officials, other federal departments, the provinces and territories on tax policy related to the mining industry.
- Undertakes broad-based, national and international research on mining fiscal policy related to mine financing and mining investment.
- Liaises with key stakeholders in mining taxation, including Canadian and international government officials, UN, IMF, and World Bank, mining companies and associations, civil society and academia.
- Leads the Intergovernmental Working Group (IGWG) Economic and Finance Subcommittee in researching and analyzing proposals to improve Canada’s international competitiveness, and provides recommendations to EMMC.
- Promotes the dissemination of information regarding Canada's mining fiscal regimes.
Professional activities / interests
- Canadian and international mining fiscal regimes (Presented to delegates from a number of countries including Australia, Belgium, Cameroon, Chile, China, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ethiopia, Ghana, Guyana, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Korea, Malawi, Mexico, Mongolia, Myanmar (Burma), Peru, South Sudan, Suriname, Tanzania, Uganda, Vietnam,. Zambia)
- Mineral project economic evaluation
- Canada-China mining investment promotion
Education and awards
- Ph.D. (Mineral Economics) - Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, 2003;
- MEMS Ph.D. Student Paper Award, MEMS, 2002;
- Departmental Merit Award, NRCan, 2007;
- Sector Award, Minerals and Metals Sector, NRCan 2007
- Collaboration Award, Minerals and Metals Sector, NRCan, 2009
- Innovation in Operation Recognition Award, MMS, NRCan, 2012
- Doggett, M. and Zhang, J. (2007). Production Trends and Economic Characteristics of Canadian Gold Mines, Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum (CIM), Vol.16, Nos. 1-2, p.1-10.
- Bullen, W. and Zhang, J. (2007). The Economics of Diamond Projects in the Canadian Arctic. Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum, CIM Magazine, Dec 2006/Jan 2007, p.28-33.
- Zhang, J (2006), Trend of Canadian Gold Exploration Costs, 1946-2000, Poster Presentation, CIM Mining Conference & Exhibition 2006, Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Zhang, J. (2005). Opportunities for Diversification of the Mineral Industry in the Northwest Territories over the Next 25 Years. Presentation, The 33rd Yellowknife Geoscience Forum, Yellowknife, Northwest Territories.
- Zhang, J (2005). Northwest Territories Mineral Exploration and Development Highlights in 2004, Presentation, F/P/T Committee on Mineral Statistics Annual Conference, Ottawa, May 2005.
- Doggett, M. and Zhang, J. (2004). Defining the Canadian-Class Gold Mine. Presentation, PDAC 2004 International Convention, Toronto, March 2004.
- Bullen W. and Zhang, J. (2004). The Economics of Diamond Projects in the Canadian Arctic. Presentation, CIM Annual Conference, Edmonton, Alberta, May 2004.
- Bullen W. and Zhang, J. (2003). The Increasing Profitability of Gold Projects in the NWT. Presentation, The 31st Yellowknife Geoscience Forum, Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, November 2003.
- Bullen, W. and Zhang, J. (2003). The Economics of Mining Projects In The Canadian Arctic. Book <<Mining In The Arctic>>, Edited by John E. Udd & Gertian Bekkers, page 3-18.
- Bullen, W. and Zhang, J. (2003). The Economics of Mining Projects In The Canadian Arctic. Presentation, The 7th International Symposium On Mining In The Arctic (ISMA). Iqaluit, Nunavut, April 2003.
- Natural Resources Canada (2011). Taxation of Mineral Income 2012 – How Canada Compares, Information Bulletin, June 2011, co-author
- Intergovernmental Working Group on the Mineral Industry (2010). Taxation Issues for the Mining Industry, co-author
- Intergovernmental Working Group on the Mineral Industry (2009). Taxation Issues for the Mining Industry, co-author
- Intergovernmental Working Group on the Mineral Industry (2007). Taxation Issues for the Mining Industry, co-author
- A Guide to Mineral Deposits of the Northwest Territories, November 2005, co-author
- The Dehcho Land Use Plan (Background Report). NDÉH TS’EDÎÎCHÁ: Dehcho Ndéh T'áh Ats'et'î K'eh Eghálats'ênda, 2005, co-author
- The Mineral Wealth of the Northwest Territories, presented to the Geoscience Office of the Northwest Territories (2005)
- Northwest Territories Mining and Exploration Overview (2005), co-author
- Northwest Territories Mining and Exploration Overview (2004), co-author
- Incorporating Botswana and Namibia Tax Systems into NWT Economic Evaluation Model, presentation to a delegation from the De Beers, Belgium. September 2004
- A Guide to Mineral Deposits of the Northwest Territories (2003), co-author
- Northwest Territories Mining and Exploration Overview (2003), co-author
- Board member (2004-2008), Mineral Economics and Management Society (MEMS)
- Member (2002-2008), Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada (PDAC)
- Member (1998-2008), Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy, and Petroleum (CIM)