Dr. Jennifer Boldt
Research in Coastal and Oceanic Ecosystems Science
Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Current research and/or projects
Research interests include:
- pelagic ecosystem monitoring to detect change in the status and trends of pelagic fish (e.g., Pacific Herring), and to understand factors affecting the distribution, biomass, and trophodynamics of pelagic fish and prey species.
- pelagic fish ecology to examine potential interactions between pelagic species and understand impacts of a changing climate on pelagic ecosystems.
- ecosystem indicator development to contribute to State of the Ocean reporting, the assessment of the ecological impacts of environmental conditions at the ecosystem scale, the understanding of mechanistic linkages from physics to phytoplankton to zooplankton to fish, and the impacts of multiple stressors on ecosystem components.
Education and awards
Ph.D. University of Alaska, Fairbanks, School of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences.
International experience and/or work
North Pacific Marine Science Organization (PICES)
- Armstrong, J.L., J.L. Boldt, A.D. Cross, J.H. Moss, N.D. Davis, K.W. Myers, R.V. Walker, D.A. Beauchamp, and L.J. Haldorson. 2005. Distribution, size and interannual, seasonal and diel food habits of northern Gulf of Alaska juvenile pink salmon, Oncorhynchus gorbuscha. Deep-Sea Research II 52:247-265.
- Armstrong, J.L., K.W. Meyers, D.A. Beauchamp, N.D. Davis, R.V. Walker, J.L. Boldt, J.J. Piccolo, L.J. Haldorson. 2008. Interannual and spatial feeding patterns of hatchery and wild juvenile pink salmon in the Gulf of Alaska in years of low and high survival. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 137:1299-1316.
- Beauchamp, D.A., A.D. Cross, J. Armstrong, K.W. Myers, J.H. Moss, J.L. Boldt, and L.J. Haldorson. 2007. Bioenergetic responses by Pacific salmon to climate and ecosystem variation. North Pacific Anadromous Fish Commission Bulletin 4:257-268.
- Boldt, J.L. 1997. Condition and distribution of forage fish in Prince William Sound, Alaska. M.S. Thesis. University of Alaska Fairbanks, Alaska. 155 p.
- Boldt, J.L. 2001. Ecology of juvenile pink salmon in the North Gulf of Alaska and Prince William Sound. Ph.D. Dissertation. University of Alaska Fairbanks, Alaska. 235 p.
- Boldt, J.L. and L.J. Haldorson. 2002. A bioenergetics approach to estimating consumption of zooplankton by juvenile pink salmon in Prince William Sound, Alaska. Alaska Fishery Research Bulletin 9(2): 111-127.
- Boldt, J.L. and L.J. Haldorson. 2003. Seasonal and geographic variation of juvenile pink salmon diets in the North Gulf of Alaska and Prince William Sound. Transactions of American Fisheries Society 132:1035-1052.
- Boldt, J.L. and L.J. Haldorson. 2004. Size and condition of wild and hatchery pink salmon juveniles in Prince William Sound, Alaska. Transactions of American Fisheries Society, 133:173-184.
- Boldt, J.L. and C.N. Rooper. 2009. Abundance, condition, and diet of juvenile Pacific ocean perch (Sebastes alutus) in the Aleutian Islands. Fishery Bulletin, 107:278-285.
- Boldt, J. L., S. C. Bartkiw, P. A. Livingston, G. R. Hoff, and G. E. Walters. 2012. Investigation of fishing and climate effects on the community size spectra of eastern Bering Sea fish. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 141:327-342.
- Boldt, J.L., T.W. Buckley, C.N. Rooper, and K. Aydin. 2012. Factors influencing cannibalism and the abundance of walleye pollock (Theragra chalcogramma) on the Eastern Bering Sea shelf, 1982–2006. Fishery Bulletin 110: 293-306.
- Boldt, J.L., R. Martone, J. Samhouri, S. Itoh, N. Yoshie, I.K. Chung. 2014. Ecosystem indicators and approaches to characterize ecosystem responses to multiple stressors. Oceanography 27(4): 116-133, http://dx.doi.org/10.5670/oceanog.2014.91.
- Coll, M., et al. (Boldt as co-author). 2016. Ecological indicators to capture the effects of fishing on biodiversity and conservation status of marine exploited ecosystems. Ecological Indicators 60: 947-962.
- Cross, A. D., D. A. Beauchamp, J. L. Armstrong, M. Blikshteyn, J. L. Boldt, N. D. Davis, L. J. Haldorson, J. H. Moss, K. W. Myers, and R. V. Walker. 2005. Consumption demand of juvenile pink salmon in Prince William Sound and the coastal Gulf of Alaska in relation to prey biomass. Deep-Sea Research II 52:347-370.
- Fu, C., S. Gaichas, J.S. Link, A. Bundy, J.L. Boldt, A.M. Cook, R. Gamble, K. Utne, H. Liu, and K.D. Friedland. 2012. The relative importance of fishing, trophodynamic and environmental drivers on a series of marine ecosystems. Marine Ecology Progress Series 459:169-184.
- Fu C., S. Large, B. Knight, A.J. Richardson, A. Bundy, G. Reygondeau, J. Boldt, G.I. van der Meeren, M.A. Torres, I. Sobrino, A. Auber, M. Travers-Trolet, C. Piroddi, I. Diallo, D. Jouffre, H. Mendes, M.F. Borges, C.P. Lynam, M. Coll, L.J. Shannon, Y.-J. Shin. 2015. Relationships among fisheries exploitation, environmental conditions and ecological indicators across a series of marine ecosystems. Journal of Marine Systems 148: 101–111.
- Kleisner,K.M., M. Coll, C.P. Lynam, A. Bundy, L. Shannon, Y.-J. Shin, J.L. Boldt, M.F. Borges, I. Diallo, C.Fox, D. Gascuel, J.J. Heymans, M.J. Juan Jorda, D. Jouffre, S.I. Large, K.N. Marshall, H. Ojaveer, C. Piroddi, J. Tam, M.A. Torres, M. Travers-Trolet, K. Tsagarakis, G.I. van der Meeren, S. Zador. 2015. Evaluating changes in marine communities that provide ecosystem services through comparative assessments of community indicators. Ecosystem Services, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoser.2015.02.002
- Kline, T.C. Jr., J.L. Boldt, E.V. Farley Jr., L.J. Haldorson, and J.H. Helle. 2008. Pink salmon (Oncorhynchus gorbuscha) marine survival rates reflect early marine carbon source dependency. Progr. In. Oceanogr. 77: 194-202.
- Link, J.S., B.A. Megrey, T.J. Miller, T. Essington, J.L. Boldt, A. Bundy, E. Moksness, K.F. Drinkwater, and R.I. Perry. 2010. Comparative analysis of marine ecosystems: international production modelling workshop. Biology Letters doi:10.1098/rsbl.2010.0526.
- Link, J.S., S. Gaichas, T.J. Miller, T. Essington, A. Bundy, J. Boldt, K.F. Drinkwater, E. Moksness. 2012. Synthesizing lessons learned from comparing fisheries production in 13 northern hemisphere ecosystems: emergent fundamental features. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 459: 293-302.
- Livingston, P.A., K. Aydin, J. Boldt, J. Ianelli, and J. Jurado-Molina. 2005. A framework for ecosystem impacts assessment using an indicator approach. ICES J. Mar. Sci. 62:592-597.
- Livingston P.A., K. Aydin, J.L. Boldt, A.B. Hollowed, and J.M. Napp. 2011. Alaska marine fisheries management: advances and linkages to ecosystem research. In Ecosystem-Based Management for Marine Fisheries: An Evolving Perspective, pp. 113-152. Eds. A. Belgrano and C.W. Fowler. Cambridge University Press, New York. 384p.
- Lucey, S.M., A.M. Cook, J.L. Boldt, J.S. Link, T. Essington, and T.J. Miller. 2012. Comparative analyses of surplus production dynamics of functional feeding groups across 12 large marine ecosystems. Marine Ecology Progress Series 459: 219-229.
- Malick, M.J., L.J. Haldorson, J.J. Piccolo, and J.L. Boldt. 2011. Growth and survival in relation to body size of juvenile pink salmon in the northern Gulf of Alaska. Marine and Coastal Fisheries: Dynamics, Management, and Ecosystem Science, 1:261-270.
- Mueter, F.J., J. Boldt, B.A. Megrey, and R.M. Peterman. 2007. Recruitment and survival of Northeast Pacific Ocean fish stocks: temporal trends, covariation, and regime shifts. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 64(6): 911-927.
- Rooper, C.N., J.L. Boldt, S. Batten, and C. Gburski. 2012. Growth and production of Pacific ocean perch (Sebastes alutus) in nursery habitats of the Gulf of Alaska. Fisheries Oceanography 21(6): 415-429.
- Rooper, C.N, J.L. Boldt, and M. Zimmermann. 2007. An assessment of juvenile Pacific ocean perch habitat use in a deepwater nursery, Alaska. Estuarine, Coastal, and Shelf Sciences 75: 371-380.
- Rooper, C.N., and J.L. Boldt. 2005. Distribution of juvenile rockfish of the Aleutian archipelago in relation to benthic habitat and oceanographic features. Alaska Fisheries Research Bulletin 11(2): 102-112.
- Schweigert, J.F., J.L. Boldt, L. Flostrand, and J.S. Cleary. 2010. A review of factors limiting recovery of Pacific herring stock in Canada. ICES Journal of Marine Science, 67: 1903-1913.