Dr. James T. Tambong
Dr. Tambong's research is focussed on molecular bacterial taxonomy, phylogenomics, identification, detection, phylogenetics and biodiversity of plant pathogenic and agricultural beneficial (biocontrol) bacteria.
Current research and/or projects
- Management and enhancement of AAFC's biological collections. The objectives of this project are: 1) Support the conservation of living genebank collections and preserved reference collections; 2) Improvement of technologies for storage of reference specimens or living germplasm; 3) Improvement of the characterisation of collection holdings; and 4) Support of the National Identification Services.
- Fungal and Bacterial Biosystematics - bridging taxonomy and –omics technology in agricultural research and regulation. The objective of this project is to bridge traditional and DNA-based taxonomy leveraging opportunities enabled by new genomic and metabolomics technologies.
- Carotenoids-producing yeasts and/or bacteria of biotechnological importance. The proposed research will lead to identify carotenoids-producing yeasts and/or bacteria strains for producing natural carotenoids as alternate feed products. Finding uses for agricultural/food-processing by-products adds profitability to low-value waste streams and reduces environmental issues.
- Monitoring of an invasive bacterial pathogen ( Clavibacter michiganensis subsp. nebraskensis ) of corn using a next-generation sequencing method.
- Next-generation sequencing - genomics and metagenomics of fungal and bacterial pathogens amenable to quarantine in crop plants.
- Development of amplicon-based metagenomic identification and analysis tools primarily targeting regulated or high-risk pathogens.
Research and/or project statements
Areas of expertise :
- Invasive / quarantine bacterial plant pathogens
- Genomics and Metagenomics of phytobacteria
- Taxonomy and molecular detection of phytobacterial pathogens
- Bacterial biodiversity in soil health and agricultural sustainability
- Beneficial and pathogenic bacteria in cereals and legumes
- Biopesticides (bioresources)
Education and awards
Ph.D. Biological Sciences Universiteit Gent, Belgium 2000
MSc. Plant Pathology/Breeding Alabama A & M University, USA 1994
Ingènieur Agronome Biotechnology Université de Dschang, Cameroon 1988
Awards and Recognition
(1) 2015 Algonquin College Award of recognition and appreciation for providing IBioTP students with invaluable Canadian work experience;
(2) 2011 American Society for Microbiology, Outstanding Service as an Online Mentor of the ASM Minority Mentoring Program;
(3) 2010 Recipient of the Agriculture and Agri-Food Research Branch Science Achievement Award for research conducted on DNA array technology for detection and quantification of multiple soilborne pathogens under the supervision of Dr. André Lévesque.
(4) 1996 Award for Outstanding Contribution to Root and Tuber Research project funded by United States Agency for International Development.
International experience and/or work
1988 - 1996. Research Officer, Institute of Agriculture Research for Development (French acronym IRAD, Cameroon): conducting research on microbial and plant biotechnology to enhance our understanding of bacterial/fungal pathogens of Tropical Roots and Tubercrops under a USAID funded project.
Ellouze, W., Nesbitt, D., Parcey, M., Gayder, S., Marchand, G., Svircev, A.M., Tambong, J.T. (2020). Draft Genome Sequences of Hazelnut-Associated Pseudomonas Strains Isolated in Ontario, Canada, 9(45), http://dx.doi.org/10.1128/MRA.01021-202020 - View publication details
CHI S. I., V. PLANTE, D. CHABOT, M. HADINEZHAD, S. F. PINTO, H. BALASUNDARAM, R. XU AND J. T. TAMBONG (2019). Antifungal activity of strain S1Bt23, a novel subspecies of Pseudomonas chlororaphis, and its colonization of canola and tomato roots visualized using green fluorescent protein (gfp) transformants. 2019 Annual Meeting of the Canadian Phytopathological Society-Eastern Ontario Region. Oral presentation. Boolk of abstracts: OR07.2019 - View publication details
Bromfield, E.S.P., Cloutier, S., Tambong, J.T., Tran Thi, T.V. (2017). Soybeans inoculated with root zone soils of Canadian native legumes harbour diverse and novel Bradyrhizobium spp. that possess agricultural potential, 40(7), 440-447. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.syapm.2017.07.0072017 - View publication details
Tambong, J.T., Xu, R., Daayf, F., Brière, S., Bilodeau, G.J., Tropiano, R., Hartke, A., Reid, L.M., Cott, M., Cote, T., Agarkova, I. (2016). Genome analysis and development of a multiplex TaqMan real-time PCR for specific identification and detection of clavibacter michiganensis subsp. Nebraskensis, 106(12), 1473-1485. http://dx.doi.org/10.1094/PHYTO-05-16-0188-R2016 - View publication details
Whiteduck-Léveillée, K., Whiteduck-Léveillée, J., Cloutier, M., Tambong, J.T., Xu, R., Topp, E., Arts, M.T., Chao, J., Adam, Z., Lévesque, C.A., Lapen, D.R., Villemur, R., Khan, I.U.H. (2016). Identification, characterization and description of Arcobacter faecis sp. nov., isolated from a human waste septic tank, 39(2), 93-99. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.syapm.2015.12.0022016 - View publication details
Xu, R., Falardeau, J., Avis, T.J., Tambong, J.T. (2016). HybProbes-based real-time PCR assay for specific identification of Streptomyces scabies and Streptomyces europaeiscabiei, the potato common scab pathogens, 62(2), 153-159. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/lam.125222016 - View publication details
Tchagang, C.F., Xu, R., Mehrtash, S., Rahimi, S., Sidibé, A., Li, X., Bromfield, E.S.P., Tambong, J.T. (2016). Draft genome sequences of two novel Pseudomonas strains exhibiting differential hypersensitivity reactions on tobacco and corn seedlings, 4(5), http://dx.doi.org/10.1128/genomeA.01057-162016 - View publication details
Tambong, J.T. (2015). Specific identification and detection of Pantoea stewartii subsp. stewartii using a membrane-based multi-gene oligonucleotide array, 37(4), 414-426. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/07060661.2015.11134422015 - View publication details
Whiteduck-Léveillée, K., Whiteduck-Léveillée, J., Cloutier, M., Tambong, J.T., Xu, R., Topp, E., Arts, M.T., Chao, J., Adam, Z., Lévesque, C.A., Lapen, D.R., Villemur, R., Talbot, G., Khan, I.U.H. (2015). Arcobacter lanthieri sp. Nov., isolated from pig and dairy cattle manure, 65(8), 2709-2716. http://dx.doi.org/10.1099/ijs.0.0003182015 - View publication details
Nejjari, M., Xu, R., Tambong, J.T. (2015). Detection, identification and differentiation of corn pathogen pantoea stewartii subspecies by membrane-based multi-gene oligonucleotide array, 77(24), 123-129. http://dx.doi.org/10.11113/jt.v77.67192015 - View publication details
Tambong, J.T., Xu, R., Adam, Z., Cott, M., Rose, K., Reid, L.M., Daayf, F., Brière, S., Bilodeau, G.J. (2015). Draft genome sequence of Clavibacter michiganensis subsp. nebraskensis strain DOAB 397, isolated from an infected field corn plant in Manitoba, Canada, 3(4), http://dx.doi.org/10.1128/genomeA.00768-152015 - View publication details
Adam, Z., Whiteduck-Léveillée, K., Cloutier, M., Chen, W., Lewis, C.T., Lévesque, C.A., Topp, E., Lapen, D.R., Tambong, J.T., Talbot, G., Khan, I.U.H. (2014). Draft genome sequences of two Arcobacter strains isolated from human feces, 2(2), http://dx.doi.org/10.1128/genomeA.00113-142014 - View publication details
Adam, Z., Whiteduck-Leveillee, K., Cloutier, M., Tambong, J.T., Chen, W., Lewis, C.T., Lévesque, C.A., Topp, E., Lapen, D.R., Talbot, G., Khan, I.U.H. (2014). Draft genome sequences of three Arcobacter strains of pig and dairy cattle manure origin, 2(3), http://dx.doi.org/10.1128/genomeA.00377-142014 - View publication details
Tambong, J.T., Xu, R. (2013). Culture-independent analysis of Pseudomonas community structures in fertilized and unfertilized agricultural soils, 63(1), 323-333. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s13213-012-0477-92013 - View publication details
Tambong, J.T. (2013). Phylogeny of bacteria isolated from rhabditis sp. (Nematoda) and identification of novel entomopathogenic serratia marcescens strains, 66(2), 138-144. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00284-012-0250-02013 - View publication details
Chen, Q., Qi, P., Xu, R., Tambong, J.T., Djama, Z.R., Li, W. (2011). Comparison of three typing methods for evaluating the diversity of pseudomonas fluorescens in the rhizosphere, 6(2), 52-65. http://dx.doi.org/10.3923/jps.2011.52.652011 - View publication details
Xu, R., Tambong, J.T. (2011). A TaqMan real-time PCR assay targeting the cytochrome o ubiquinol oxidase subunit II gene for detection of several pathovars of Pseudomonas syringae, 33(3), 318-331. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/07060661.2011.6003352011 - View publication details
Gómez-Alpízar, L., Saalau, E., Picado, I., Tambong, J.T., Saborío, F. (2011). A PCR-RFLP assay for identification and detection of Pythium myriotylum, causal agent of the cocoyam root rot disease, 52(3), 185-192. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1472-765X.2010.02998.x2011 - View publication details
Zhang, J.X., Xue, A.G., Zhang, H.J., Nagasawa, A.E., Tambong, J.T. (2010). Response of soybean cultivars to root rot caused by Fusarium species, 90(5), 767-776. http://dx.doi.org/10.4141/CJPS091332010 - View publication details
Zhang, J.X., Xue, A.G., Tambong, J.T. (2009). Evaluation of seed and soil treatments with novel Bacillus subtilis strains for control of soybean root rot caused by Fusarium oxysporum and F. graminearum, 93(12), 1317-1323. http://dx.doi.org/10.1094/PDIS-93-12-13172009 - View publication details
- 1 of 2
- next ›
- Adjunct professor, Department of Plant Sciences, University of Manitoba, Manitoba, Canada
- Member, Bacteriology Committee of the American Phytopathological Society (APS)
- Member, Evolutionary Genetics & Genomics Committee (APS)
- Member, Plant Pathogen and Disease Detection Committee (APS)
- Member, advisory committee of the Specialized Baccalaureate in Biotechnology at La Cité Collégiale, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
- Associate Editor, Bacteria and Phytoplasmas, Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology
- Member, American Phytopathological Society (Past Chairman, Tropical Plant Pathology Committee)
- Member, American Society for Microbiology (recipient of the ASM Online Minority Mentoring Award, 2011)
- Member, Canadian Phytopathological Society