Dr. James T. Tambong
Dr. Tambong's research is focussed on molecular bacterial taxonomy, phylogenomics, identification, detection, phylogenetics and biodiversity of plant pathogenic and agricultural beneficial (biocontrol) bacteria.
Current research and/or projects
- Management and enhancement of AAFC's biological collections. The objectives of this project are: 1) Support the conservation of living genebank collections and preserved reference collections; 2) Improvement of technologies for storage of reference specimens or living germplasm; 3) Improvement of the characterisation of collection holdings; and 4) Support of the National Identification Services.
- Fungal and Bacterial Biosystematics - bridging taxonomy and –omics technology in agricultural research and regulation. The objective of this project is to bridge traditional and DNA-based taxonomy leveraging opportunities enabled by new genomic and metabolomics technologies.
- Carotenoids-producing yeasts and/or bacteria of biotechnological importance. The proposed research will lead to identify carotenoids-producing yeasts and/or bacteria strains for producing natural carotenoids as alternate feed products. Finding uses for agricultural/food-processing by-products adds profitability to low-value waste streams and reduces environmental issues.
- Monitoring of an invasive bacterial pathogen ( Clavibacter michiganensis subsp. nebraskensis ) of corn using a next-generation sequencing method.
- Next-generation sequencing - genomics and metagenomics of fungal and bacterial pathogens amenable to quarantine in crop plants.
- Development of amplicon-based metagenomic identification and analysis tools primarily targeting regulated or high-risk pathogens.
Research and/or project statements
Areas of expertise :
- Invasive / quarantine bacterial plant pathogens
- Genomics and Metagenomics of phytobacteria
- Taxonomy and molecular detection of phytobacterial pathogens
- Bacterial biodiversity in soil health and agricultural sustainability
- Beneficial and pathogenic bacteria in cereals and legumes
- Biopesticides (bioresources)
Education and awards
Ph.D. Biological Sciences Universiteit Gent, Belgium 2000
MSc. Plant Pathology/Breeding Alabama A & M University, USA 1994
Ingènieur Agronome Biotechnology Université de Dschang, Cameroon 1988
Awards and Recognition
(1) 2015 Algonquin College Award of recognition and appreciation for providing IBioTP students with invaluable Canadian work experience;
(2) 2011 American Society for Microbiology, Outstanding Service as an Online Mentor of the ASM Minority Mentoring Program;
(3) 2010 Recipient of the Agriculture and Agri-Food Research Branch Science Achievement Award for research conducted on DNA array technology for detection and quantification of multiple soilborne pathogens under the supervision of Dr. André Lévesque.
(4) 1996 Award for Outstanding Contribution to Root and Tuber Research project funded by United States Agency for International Development.
International experience and/or work
1988 - 1996. Research Officer, Institute of Agriculture Research for Development (French acronym IRAD, Cameroon): conducting research on microbial and plant biotechnology to enhance our understanding of bacterial/fungal pathogens of Tropical Roots and Tubercrops under a USAID funded project.
Ellouze, W., Nesbitt, D., Parcey, M., Gayder, S., Marchand, G., Svircev, A.M., Tambong, J.T. (2020). Draft Genome Sequences of Hazelnut-Associated Pseudomonas Strains Isolated in Ontario, Canada, 9(45), http://dx.doi.org/10.1128/MRA.01021-202020 - View publication details
CHI S. I., V. PLANTE, D. CHABOT, M. HADINEZHAD, S. F. PINTO, H. BALASUNDARAM, R. XU AND J. T. TAMBONG (2019). Antifungal activity of strain S1Bt23, a novel subspecies of Pseudomonas chlororaphis, and its colonization of canola and tomato roots visualized using green fluorescent protein (gfp) transformants. 2019 Annual Meeting of the Canadian Phytopathological Society-Eastern Ontario Region. Oral presentation. Boolk of abstracts: OR07.2019 - View publication details
Nguyen HDT, Grunwald NJ, Abad ZG, Martin FN, Crouch J, Hambleton S, Dettman J, Liu M, Harris LJ, Castlebury L, Salagado-Salazar C, Cowger C, Ellouz O, Mollov D, Fall ML, Ling K, Griffifths J, Mahaffee W, Chen W, Sultata T, Yu Q, Carta LK, Skantar AM, Tambong J, Rogers E, Li S, Dumonceaux TJ, Widmer TL. The 2019 AAFC-USDA meeting on genotyping and monitoring of high-risk plant pathogens.2019 - View publication details
Bromfield, E.S.P., Cloutier, S., Tambong, J.T., Tran Thi, T.V. (2017). Soybeans inoculated with root zone soils of Canadian native legumes harbour diverse and novel Bradyrhizobium spp. that possess agricultural potential, 40(7), 440-447. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.syapm.2017.07.0072017 - View publication details
Caetanie Tchagang, Renlin Xu , Eden Bromfield and James Tambong. (2017)2017 - View publication details
Diversity and phylogeny of bacteria associated with corn roots inoculated with
woodland soils in Canada, and description of Pseudomonas aylmerense sp. nov.
14th Symposium on Bacterial Genetics and Ecology, Aberdeen, Scotland, 4-8 June 2017
James T. Tambong, Renlin Xu and Eden Bromfield (2016) Pseudomonas canadensis sp. nov., a biological control agent isolated from a field plot under long-term mineral fertilization. International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology doi:10.1099/ijsem.0.001698.2017 - View publication details
Shumilak, A., Soliman, A., Adam, L.R., Tambong, J.T., Reid, L.M., Daayf, F. 2017. Investigating Defense Genes in Susceptible and Tolerant Inbred lines of Corn (Zea mays L.) during Infection by Clavibacter michiganensis subsp nebraskensis, the causal agent of Goss’s Wilt. 70th Northeast Corn Improvement Conference, Ottawa, ON, Feb 21-22, 2017. Oral presentation.2017 - View publication details
Shumilak, A., Soliman, A., Adam, L.R., Tambong, J.T., Reid, L.M., and Daayf, F. 2016. Exploring the interaction of susceptible and tolerant in inbred lines of corn (Zea mays L.) to with Clavibacter michiganensis subsp nebraskensis, the causal agent of Goss’s wilt. Manitoba Agronomy Conference, Dec. 15-16, Winnipeg, MB.2017 - View publication details
Sean Li, James Tambong, Kat (Xiaoli) Yuan, H. Xu and Solke H. De Boer (2016)Re-classification of Clavibacter michiganensis subspecies into multiple new species. Annual Meeting of the Canadian Phytopathological Society Moncton, NB. June 12-15, 2016. Abstract.2017 - View publication details
Shumila A., A. Soliman, L. Adam, J. T. Tambong, L. Reid and F. Daayf (2016) Exploring the interaction of susceptible and tolerant Inbred lines of Corn (Zea mays L.) with Clavibacter michiganensis subsp nebraskensis, the causal agent of Goss’s Wilt. 2016 Manitoba Agronomists's conference Winnipeg, December 15-16, 2016.2016 - View publication details
Tambong, J.T., Xu, R., Daayf, F., Brière, S., Bilodeau, G.J., Tropiano, R., Hartke, A., Reid, L.M., Cott, M., Cote, T., Agarkova, I. (2016). Genome analysis and development of a multiplex TaqMan real-time PCR for specific identification and detection of clavibacter michiganensis subsp. Nebraskensis, 106(12), 1473-1485. http://dx.doi.org/10.1094/PHYTO-05-16-0188-R2016 - View publication details
Caetanie Tchagang, Renlin Xu and James T. Tambong (2016) Genome sequencing and analysis of two novel Pseudomonas strains, antagonistic to Rhizoctonia solani. Canadian Phytopathological Society-Eastern Ontario Regional Meeting, Ottawa, November 18. Published abstracts.2016 - View publication details
Sanni Hsieh, Renlin Xu, Tyler J. Avis and James T. Tambong (2016) Genome analysis and pathogenicity of a new potential biothreat, Pantoea allii, to onion production.2016 Annual Meeting of the Canadian Phytopathological Society Moncton, NB. June 12-15, 2016. Published Abstract.2016 - View publication details
James T. Tambong (2016) Goss’s Bacterial Wilt Pathogen: from genome sequencing to a diagnostic application. Invited talk. CFIA Plant Research Seminar Series, March 16, 2016.2016 - View publication details
Whiteduck-Léveillée, K., Whiteduck-Léveillée, J., Cloutier, M., Tambong, J.T., Xu, R., Topp, E., Arts, M.T., Chao, J., Adam, Z., Lévesque, C.A., Lapen, D.R., Villemur, R., Khan, I.U.H. (2016). Identification, characterization and description of Arcobacter faecis sp. nov., isolated from a human waste septic tank, 39(2), 93-99. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.syapm.2015.12.0022016 - View publication details
Xu, R., Falardeau, J., Avis, T.J., Tambong, J.T. (2016). HybProbes-based real-time PCR assay for specific identification of Streptomyces scabies and Streptomyces europaeiscabiei, the potato common scab pathogens, 62(2), 153-159. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/lam.125222016 - View publication details
Tchagang, C.F., Xu, R., Mehrtash, S., Rahimi, S., Sidibé, A., Li, X., Bromfield, E.S.P., Tambong, J.T. (2016). Draft genome sequences of two novel Pseudomonas strains exhibiting differential hypersensitivity reactions on tobacco and corn seedlings, 4(5), http://dx.doi.org/10.1128/genomeA.01057-162016 - View publication details
Khan, I.U.H., Topp, E., Chen, W., Lapen, D.R., Lévesque, C.A., Pintar, K.D.M., Tambong, J.T., Talbot, G., and Wilkes, G.A. (2015). "Assessment of Zoonotic Pathogens in Agroecosystem.", Biodiversity, Bioresources and Collection Science Day, Ottawa Research and Development Center, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Ottawa, ON, Canada, December 1-2, 2015. (Presentation)2015 - View publication details
Lévesque, C.A., Chen, W., Hambleton, S., Seifert, K.A., Adam, Z., Bilodeau, G.J., Cullis, J., Demeke, T., Dumonceaux, T.J., Gagnon, M., Graefenhan, T., Kawchuk, L.M., Khan, I.U.H., Lewis, C.T., Li, X., Links, M.G., Mimee, B., Rott, M., Tambong, J.T., Topp, E., Yu, Q., and Yuan, K. (2015). Project CRTI 09-462RD - Next generation sequencing, direct detection and genotyping of fungi, bacteria and nematodes in the agri-food system. DRDC-RDDC-2015-C148. Final Close-Out Report. (Report)2015 - View publication details
Lévesque, C.A., Chen, W., Hambleton, S., Seifert, K.A., Adam, Z., Bilodeau, G.J., Cullis, J., Demeke, T., Dumonceaux, T.J., Gagnon, M., Graefenhan, T., Kawchuk, L.M., Khan, I.U.H., Lewis, C.T., Li, X., Links, M.G., Mimee, B., Rott, M., Tambong, J.T., Yu, Q., and Yuan, K. (2015). Project CRTI 09-462RD - Next generation sequencing, direct detection and genotyping of fungi, bacteria and nematodes in the agri-food system. Final Report. 54. http://cradpdf.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/PDFS/unc195/p802330_A1b.pdf. (Report)2015 - View publication details
- 1 of 5
- next ›
- Adjunct professor, Department of Plant Sciences, University of Manitoba, Manitoba, Canada
- Member, Bacteriology Committee of the American Phytopathological Society (APS)
- Member, Evolutionary Genetics & Genomics Committee (APS)
- Member, Plant Pathogen and Disease Detection Committee (APS)
- Member, advisory committee of the Specialized Baccalaureate in Biotechnology at La Cité Collégiale, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
- Associate Editor, Bacteria and Phytoplasmas, Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology
- Member, American Phytopathological Society (Past Chairman, Tropical Plant Pathology Committee)
- Member, American Society for Microbiology (recipient of the ASM Online Minority Mentoring Award, 2011)
- Member, Canadian Phytopathological Society