Dr. Hari Manoj Simha, P. Eng.
Research in computational materials science
Current research and/or projects
Having a knack for physics and mathematics, engineering was a natural choice for me on completion of 12th grade. Once I got to graduate school, I discovered that I had a passion for solid mechanics and was good at it – good enough to obtain a doctorate. I enjoy research and try to work on as wide a spectrum of problems as possible – which makes my life interesting.
Research and/or project statements
I am working on structural integrity of pipelines, modelling forming in automotive steels, and structural integrity of nuclear reactor components.
- Improvements to defect prediction of thin-walled castings using computational fluid dynamics (with industry).
- Third-party recommendations on testing procedures for pressure tubes of CANDU reactors (for CNSC).
- Selection of pipeline materials to guard against failure on account of ruptures, earthquakes and ground motion
- Modeling of pipeline welds for process development.
- Development of novel testing techniques to study deformation and failure of metal sheet for automotive applications.
- Non-destructive mechanical property evaluation of metals.
Professional activities / interests
Technical membership in the CSA N285.8.
Supervision of one Ph.D. student from the University of Waterloo (Mechanical Engineering).
Education and awards
Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Texas, Austin, 1999.
M.S.E in Mechanical Engineering, University of Texas, Austin, 1995.
B.E. in Mechanical Engineering, PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore, India, 1992.
- C Hari Manoj Simha and Reza Adibi-Asl. Estimating Lower Bound Limit Loads for Structures Subjected to Multiple Loads. Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, 137(4):041205, 2015.
- Hari Manoj Simha, Su Xu, and W.R. Tyson. Non-local phenomenological damage-mechanics-based modeling of the Drop-Weight Tear Test. Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 118:66–82, March 2014.
- C Hari Manoj Simha. Limit Load Solutions for Cracked Elbows Subjected to Internal Pressure and In-Plane Bending. Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, 134(4):041201, 2012.
- C Hari Manoj Simha and R Adibi-Asl. Lower Bound Limit Load Estimation Using a Linear Elastic Analysis. Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, 134(2):021207, 2012.
- C Hari Simha, Kaan Inal, and Michael J Worswick. Orientation and Path Dependence of Formability in the Stress-and the Extended Stress-Based Forming Limit Curves. Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, 130(4):041009, 2008.