Dr. Elham Rahmani
In the economics team, I work as an agriculture research data analyst. My responsibilities and skills are as follows:
- Dealing with numerical, categorical, and survey data
- Data quality control and pre-processing
- Exploratory and advanced statistical analysis
- Large data analysis and visualization
- Machine learning and deep learning modeling
- Probabilistic and prediction modeling
- Model validation
- Strategic thinking and brainstorming to identify innovative and related research concepts and proposals
Current research and/or projects
- Forecasting cattle prices (monthly) in Alberta using machine learning algorithms
- Farm Management Survey (FMS) data analysis and visualization
- Assessing climate change effects and solutions in agriculture using machine learning and deep learning techniques
- Dealing with numerical, categorical, and survey data analysis and visualization in agriculture economics
Research and/or project statements
- Improved joint modeling of agricultural systems, climate variability & climate change and food security
B. L. Beres, E. Rahmani, J. M. Clarke, P. Grassini, C. J. Pozniak, Ch. Geddes, W. May, K. Porker, J. K. Ransom, A Systematic Review of Durum Wheat: Enhancing Production Systems by Exploring Genotype, Environment, and Management (GxExM) Synergies, Frontiers in Plant Science, 11: 568657, Oct. 2020, DOI: 10.3389/fpls.2020.568657.
M. Marami Milani, E. Rahmani, A. Hense, A. Ploeger, Applying Least Absolute Shrinkage Selection Operator and Akaike Information Criterion Analysis to Find the Best Multiple Linear Regression Models between Climate Indices and Components of Cow’s Milk, Foods (MDPI), July 2016, 5(3): 52-68, DOI: 10.3390/foods5030052.
E. Rahmani, The effect of climate variability on wheat in Iran, Published online by: University of Bonn, Jan. 2015, URN: urn:nbn:de:hbz:5n-38793.
E. Rahmani, P. Friederichs, J. Keller, A. Hense, Development of an effective and potentially scalable weather generator for temperature and growing degree-days, Theoretical and applied climatology, May 2015, 1-20, DOI: 10.1007/s00704-015-1477-z.
M. Marami Milani, E. Rahmani, A. Hense, A. Ploeger, A Survey of the Relationship between Climatic Heat Stress Indices and Fundamental Milk Components Considering Uncertainty, Climate (MDPI), Nov. 2015, 3(4): 876-900, DOI: 10.3390/cli3040876.
M. Marami Milani, E. Rahmani, A. Hense, A. Ploeger, A Pilot Investigation of the Relationship between Climate Variability and Milk Compounds under the Bootstrap Technique, Foods (MDPI), Sep. 2015, 4(3): 420-439, DOI: 10.3390/foods4030420.
E. Rahmani, A. Liaghat, A. Khalili, Estimating barley yield in eastern Azerbaijan using drought indices and climatic parameters by the artificial neural network (ANN), Iranian journal of agriculture science, March 2010, 39(1): 47-56, Published by University of Tehran, Iran.
E. Rahmani, A. Khalili, A. Liaghat, Quantitative survey of drought effects on barley yield in eastern Azerbaijan by classical statistical methods, Journal of science and technology of agriculture and natural resources, Summer 2008, 12(44): 25-37, Published by Isfahan University of Technology, Iran.
Professional activities / interests
- Data Quality Control and Pre-Processing
- Advanced Statistical Analysis
- Large Data Analysis
- Machine Learning & Deep Learning Modeling
- Multiple Regression Analysis
- Probabilistic and Prediction Modeling
- Regional Statistical Down-scaling, Weather Generator, and Climate Modeling
- Modeling Verification
- Agrometeorological Modelling
- Modeling Interaction of Environment & Crop Responses
Education and awards
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) – Meteorology , University of Bonn (2014)
The effect of climate variability on wheat in Iran
Master of Science (M.Sc.) – Agricultural Meteorology, University of Tehran (2006)
Quantitative survey of drought effects on barley yield in northwest of Iran, a comparison between classical methods and artificial neural networks (ANN)
Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) – Agriculture Water Engineering, University of Tabriz (1998)
- Served as a reviewer for the American Meteorological Society's Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology & Journal of Climate (2019-2020)
- Research Grant from DFG, Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, German research Community, First phase of an international project between Germany and Iran (2016)
- Ph.D. short-term scholarship from the University of Bonn, Germany (2013)
- Ph.D. long-term Scholarship from Germany, DAAD, German Academic Exchange Service (2008)
- Awarded (2nd rank) by the Ministry of Education in Iran, for applying the best methods of teaching English (2005)
- M.Sc. Agricultural Meteorology University Admission, ranked 4th out of 91 participants nationwide in Iran (2003)
International experience and/or work
- Researcher at EA European Academy of Technology and Innovation Assessment in Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler, Germany (2015-2016)
- Doctorate Research in Meteorological Institute at the University of Bonn, Germany (2008-2014)
- Intern Voluntary at United Nations University (UNU), Environmental vulnerability and ecosystem services (EVES) in Bonn, Germany (2014)
- Researcher and Consulting Engineer in Tehran, Iran (1998-2004)