Dr. Derek Riley Stein
Dr. Derek Stein is a senior research fellow working at the Public Health Agency of Canada. His research involves the rapid development of vaccine and therapeutic modalities for emerging infectious diseases. He also focuses on the characterization of animal models of pathogenesis and transmission for high containment pathogens such as Ebola and Lassa virus.
1. Subudhi, S., Dakouo, M., Sloan, A., Stein, D. R., Grolla, A., Jones, S., et al. (2018). Seroprevalence of Rift Valley Fever Virus Antibodies in Cattle in Mali, 2005-2014. The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. http://doi.org/10.4269/ajtmh.17-0841
2. Stein, D. R., Golden, J. W., Griffin, B. D., Warner, B. M., Ranadheera, C., Scharikow, L., et al. (2017). Human polyclonal antibodies produced in transchromosomal cattle prevent lethal Zika virus infection and testicular atrophy in mice. Antiviral Research. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.antiviral.2017.09.005
3. Safronetz D, Sloan A, Stein DR, Mendoza E, Barairo N, Ranadheera C, et al. Evaluation of 5 commercially available Zika virus immunoassays. Emerg Infect Dis. 2017 Sep
4. Griffin, B. D., Muthumani, K., Warner, B. M., Majer, A., Hagan, M., Audet, J., Stein, D.R., et al. (2017). DNA vaccination protects mice against Zika virus-induced damage to the testes JA . Nature Communications, 8, 15743 EP–. http://doi.org/10.1038/ncomms15743
5. L'Huillier, A. G., Hamid-Allie, A., Kristjanson, E., Papageorgiou, L., Hung, S., Wong, C. F., Stein, D.R., et al. (2017). Evaluation of Euroimmun Anti-Zika virus ELISAs (IgM & IgG) for Zika virus serologic testing. Journal of Clinical Microbiology, JCM.00442–17. http://doi.org/10.1128/JCM.00442-17
6. Osuna, C. , Lim, S. , Deleage, C. , Griffin, B. , Stein D.R. , Schroeder, L. , Omange, R. , et. al. (2016) Viral Dynamics and Shedding in Zika Infected Macaques. Nature Medicine. 1–10. http://doi.org/10.1038/nm.4206
7. Vega, M.A., Stein, D.R., Kobinger, G.P. (2015) Ebolavirus Evolution: Past and Present. PLoS Pathogens, 11(11).
8. Stein, D.R., Shaw, S.Y., McKinnon, L.R., Abou, M., McCorrister, S.J., Westmacott, G.R., Fowke, K.R., Plummer, F.A., Ball, T.B. (2015). Mx2 expression is associated with reduced susceptibility to HIV infection in highly exposed HIV seronegative Kenyan sex workers. AIDS, 29(1), 35-41.
9. Stein, D. R., Hu, X., McCorrister, S. J., Westmacott, G. R., Plummer, F.A., Ball, T.B., Carpenter, M.S. (2013). High pH reversed phase chromatography as a superior fractionation scheme compared to off-gel isoelectric focusing for complex proteome analysis. Proteomics, 13, 2956-2966.
10. Stein, D. R., Burgener, A., & Ball, T. B. (2013). Proteomics as a novel HIV immune monitoring tool. Current Opinion in HIV and AIDS, 8(2), 140–146.
11. Aida Sivro, Derek Stein, Lyle Mckinnon. The role of cytokine storm in Influenza pathogenesis. Purple Paper (NCCID). January 2011; Issue 23.
12. Aida Sivro, Derek Stein, Lyle McKinnon. Innate immunity to HIV. Purple Paper (NCCID). August 2010; Issue 18.