Dr. Delin Li
Research in metal casting and battery materials
Current research and/or projects
I graduated from Tsinghua University, and was NRC Associate of USA NASA and Alexander-von-Humboldt Fellow of Germany in the 1990’s. After a 12-year career in industries, I moved to CMAT in 2012. I serve on the iron and steel committees of AFS and ASTM. My current projects include metalcasting and lithium battery materials. I have developed a new cast iron to improve upon spheroidal and compacted graphite irons.
Research and/or project statements
Current Research Projects:
- Develop and optimize iron and steel castings and process for automotive, windmills, power generation and mining applications.
- Novel melting-casting process for manufacturing of lithium-ion battery materials for automotive applications.
- A new method of measuring the yield of recycling iron and steel slag.
- Produce metallic glass from industrial alloys.
- Develop weathering steels for highway bridge applications.
Professional activities / interests
Education and awards
Bachelor’s degree, Mechanical Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China.
Master & doctoral degrees, Materials Science and Engineering, Northwestern Polytechnical University, Xian, China.
Best paper award, American Foundry Society (AFS), 2014.
- 72nd World Foundry Congress in Japan, papers #: O-23 and P-8, 2016.
- Li, D., Sloss, C. 2015. Heat Treatment of Heat-Resistant Ferrous Cast Alloys. Internal Journal of Metalcasting 9(2): 7-20.
- Li, D., Sloss, C. 2015. Comment on “High-temperature mechanical and fatigue properties of cast alloys intended for use in exhaust manifolds” by Ekström et Al. (Mater. Sci. Eng. A 616 (2014) 78). Materials Science & Engineering A A624: 90-91.
- Li, D., Sloss, C. (2015, April 22). Brittleness at Medium Temperatures of Spheroidal Graphite, Mixed Graphite, and Compacted Graphite High-Silicon Molybdenum Cast Irons. Paper presented at the 119th Metalcasting Congress Proceedings, AFS, Greater Columbus Convention Center, Columbus.
- Li, D., Sloss, C. (2013, April 8). Cast Ferritic Stainless Steels for Automotive Exhaust Components. Paper presented at the 117th Metalcasting Congress Proceedings, AFS, Amerca's Centere, St-Louis.