Dr. Amila O. De Silva
Research program focusing on organic contaminants (flame retardants, stain repellants, plasticizers, UV stabilizers, antioxidants, etc) in the aquatic environment: method development, bioaccumulation, sediment-water partitioning, long range transport, temporal trends, spatial distribution.
Current research and/or projects
Develop knowledge on the distribution, fate and bioaccumulation of priority substances for assessment and management of chemicals
- Conduct bioaccumulation and biotransformation of candidate persistent organic pollutants (POPs) in aquatic organisms including invertebrate
- Interrogate sources of candidate POPs based on environmental distribution and patterns of pollution
- Contribute information on the environmental fate and disposition including persistence, bioaccumulation, and long range transport potential of chemicals relating to the Chemicals Management Plan
- Studies on new contaminants in foodwebs such as those of the Great Lakes and Arctic terrestrial
Education and awards
Postdoctoral Visiting Fellow, Environment Canada
Ph.D. Environmental Chemistry, University of Toronto
M.Sc. Analytical Chemistry, McGill University
B.Sc. (Hons.) Environmental Science - Chemistry, Carleton University
- Lu, Z., De Silva, A.O.*, Peart, T.E., Cook, C.J., Tetreault, G.R. 2017 Tissue distribution of substituted diphenylamine antioxidants and benzotriazole ultraviolet stabilizers in White Sucker (Catostomus commersonii) from an urban creek in Canada. Environ. Sci. Technol. Letters. In press Sept 7 2017 DOI: 10.1021/acs.estlett.7b00355
- Lu, Z., Martin, P.A., Burgess, N.M., Champoux, L., Elliott, J.E., Baressi, E., De Silva, A.O., de Solla, S.R., Letcher, R.J. 2017. Volatile methylsiloxanes and organophosphate esters in the eggs of European Starlings (Sturnus vulgaris) and congeneric gull species from locations across Canada. Environ. Sci. Technol. In press. DOI: 10.1021/acs.est.7b03192
- Parajulee, A., Lei YD, De Silva, A.O., Cao, X., Mitchell, CPJ. Wania, F. 2017. Assessing the source to stream transport of benzotriazoles during rianfall and snowmelt in urban and agricultural watersheds. Environ. Sci. Technol. 51 (8), pp 4191–4198; doi: 10.1021/acs.est.6b05638
- Lu, Z., Smyth, S.A., Peart, T.E., De Silva, A.O.* 2017 Occurrence and fate of substituted diphenylamine antioxidants and benzotriazole UV stabilizers in various Canadian wastewater treatment processes. Water Research, 124: 158-166.
- Giraudo, M., Cottin, G., Esperanza, M., Gagnon, P., De Silva, A.O., Houde, M. 2017. Transcriptional and cellular effects of benzotriazole UV stabilizers UV-234 and UV-328 in the freshwater invertebrates Chlamydomonas reinhardtii and Daphnia magna. Environ. Toxicol. Chem 9999 :1-10.
- De Silva, A.O.*, Spencer, C., Ho, K.C.D., Al Tarhuni, M., Go, C., Houde, M., de Solla, S.R., Lavoie, R.A., King, L.E., Muir, D.C.G., Fair, P.A., Wells, R.S., Bossart, G.D. 2016. Perfluoroalkylphosphinic Acids in Northern Pike (Esox lucius), Double-Crested Cormorants (Phalacrocorax auritus), and Bottlenose Dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) in Relation to Other Perfluoroalkyl Acids. Environ.Sci.Technol. DOI: 10.1021/acs.est.6b03515