Dr. Ali Nasseri
Professional activities / interests
- As Executive Research Coordinator at the University of British Columbia (2019 - 2022), led the formation of industrial consortia and academic networks around AI and systems, and supported varioud industrial engagements. Managed two DARPA funded projects focused on Automated Machine Learning and Improve Fewshot Learning, and over $4 million in research funds.
- As an Expert Member of the Space Technology and Telecommunication Clustrer of Skolkovo Foundation (2014 - 2022), reviewed over 80 grant applications for commercialization activities.
- As Early Stage Researcher under the EU Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions Initial Training Network Wall (2014 - 2017), contributed to research on novel magnetic materials for use in spintronic devices, in collaboration with over 10 European partners.
- Chaired and acted as operations manager of the Space Generation Advisory Countil in Support of the United Nations Programme on Space Applications (2012 - 2018), supporting engagement of students and young professionals in the space sector and developing workforce development initiatives
Education and awards
- PhD in Engineering Physics, Politecnico di Torino, 2018
- MBA, Quantic School of Science and Technology, 2019
- MASc in Aerospace Engineering, University of Toronto, 2013
- BSc in Aerospace Engineering, K. N. Toosi University of Technology, 2010
J11. F. Wood, A. Warrington, S. Naderiparizi, C. Weilbach, V. Masrani, W. Harvey, A. Scibior, B. Beronov, J. Grefenstette, D. Campbell, S. A.Nasseri, “Planning as Inference in Epidemiological Dynamics Models”, Frontiers of Artificial Intelligence. 2022 4:550603. doi: 10.3389/frai.2021.550603.
J10. F. M. Asrar, A. H. Wen, S. A. Nasseri, P. C. Dinas, C. Newman, A. Bukley, K. Crist, D. Irwin, “Space technologies for monitoring health and environmental impact of hydraulic fracturing”, The Lancet Planetary Health, vol. 2, issue 11, pp. e469-e470, 2018, doi: 10.1016/S2542-5196(18)30223-7. [joint first author]
J9. S. A. Nasseri, E. Martinez, G. Durin “Collective Coordinate Descriptions of Magnetic Domain Wall Motion in Perpendicularly Magnetized Nanostructures under the Application of In-plane Fields”, Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 468, pp. 25-43, 2018, doi: 10.1016/j.jmmm.2018.07.059 (https://arxiv.org/abs/1804.00569).
J8. B. Sarma, F. Garcia-Sanchez, S. A. Nasseri, A. Casiraghi, G. Durin, "Dynamics and morphology of chiral magnetic bubbles in perpendicularly magnetized ultra-thin films with the Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya Interaction", Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 456, pp. 433-438. 2018, doi: 10.1016/j.jmmm.2018.01.075.
J7. J. Vandermeulen, S. A. Nasseri, B. Van de Wiele, G. Durin, B. Van Waeyenberge, L. Dupre, “Comparison between collective coordinate models for domain wall motion in PMA nanostrips in the presence of the Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya interaction”, Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 449, pp. 337-352, 2018, doi: 10.1016/j.jmmm.2017.10.008. [Joint First Author]
J6. A. Daoulah, S. Al-kaabi, A. Lotfi, M. Al-Murayeh, S. A. Nasseri, W. Ahmed, S. N. Al-Otaibi, M. N. Alama, O. E. Elkhateeb, A. J. Plotkin, M. M. Malak, K. Alshali, M. Hamzi, S. Al Khunein, M. Abufayyah, A. A. Alsheikh-Ali, "Inter-ethnic marriages and severity of coronary artery disease in men undergoing angiography: A multicenter study of Arabian Gulf States", World Journal of Cardiology, vol. 9(4), pp. 371-377, 2017, doi: 10.4330/wjc.v9.i4.371.
J5. A. Daoulah, O. E. Elkhateeb, S. A. Nasseri, M. Al-Murayeh, S. Al-kaabi, A. Lotfi, M. N. Alama, S. M. Al-Faifi, M. Haddara, C. M. Dixon, I. S. Alzahrani, A. A. Alghamdi, W. Ahmed, A. Fathey, E. Haq, A. A. Alsheikh-Ali, " Socioeconomic Factors and Severity of Coronary Artery Disease: A Multicenter Study of Arabian Gulf States", The Open Cardiovascular Medicine Journal, vol. 11pp. 47-57, 2017, doi: 10.2174/1874192401711010047.
J4. S. A. Nasseri, S. Moretti, E. Martinez, G. Durin, C. Serpico, “Collective Coordinate Models of Domain Wall Dynamics in PMA Materials under Spin Hall Effect and Longitudinal in-Plane Fields”, Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 426, pp. 195-201 , 2017, doi: 10.1016/j.jmmm.2016.11.081.
J3. J. Vandermeulen, S. A. Nasseri, B. Van de Wiele, G. Durin, B. Van Waeyenberge, L. Dupre, “The effect of the Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya interaction on field-driven domain wall dynamics analysed by a semi-analytical approach”, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, vol. 49 (46), no. 465003, 2016, doi:10.1088/0022-3727/49/46/465003.
J2. S. A. Nasseri, “Motivations for Space Exploration: A Survey within the Space Community”, Journal of the British Interplanetary Society, vol. 68 (5-6), pp. 135-141, October 2015, link:jbis.org.uk/paper.php?p=2015.68.135.
J1. P. C. Dinas*, C. Mueller*, N. Clark*, T. Elgin*, S. A. Nasseri*, E. Yaffe*, J. B. Clark, S. Madry, F. M. Asrar, “Innovative Methods to Benefit Public Health Using Space Technology During Disaster Relief”, Journal for Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness, vol. 9 (3), pp. 319-328, 2015, doi:10.1017/dmp.2015.29. [joint first author, paper highlighted on the cover of the journal, and received dedicated editorial]
- Chair, Space Education and Outreach Committee, International Astronautical Federation
- Vice-Chair, Workforce Development and Young Professionals Program Committee, International Astronautical Federation
- Honorary Board Member, Space Generation Advisory Council