Dr. Alexandra Long
I am a research biologist in the genetic toxicology laboratory - a part of the mechanistic studies division at Health Canada.
Education and awards
Ph.D., Biology, Specialization: Chemical & Environmental Toxicology. University of Ottawa (2017)
The Genetic Toxicology Association Emerging Scientist Award (2017)
The Health Canada Science Forum Best Poster Award (2018)
The Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis Best Student Paper award (2016)
The Environmental Mutagenesis and Genomics Society Best Student Poster Presentation Award (2015)
National Science and Engineering Research Council Post-Graduate Scholarship-Doctorate (2013–2016)
The Society of Toxicology of Canada CANTOX best student poster award (M.Sc.) (2010)
International experience and/or work
Canadian representative on the Expert Group for the review of the Pig-a OECD test guideline proposal (2017-present)
Member of the Health and Environmental Sciences Institute (HESI) Genetic Toxicology Technical Committee (GTTC) (2017-present)
Council member of the Environmental Mutagenesis and Genomics Society (2014-2017)
Co-chair of the Transgenic and In Vivo Mutagenesis Special Interest Group (Environmental Mutagenesis and Genomics Society) (2012 – 2016)
Co-Chair of the Ottawa-Carleton Institute of Biology’s Annual Symposium (April 29-30, 2015)
Student Co-chair of the Student and New Investigator Affairs Committee (Environmental Mutagenesis and Genomics Society) (2013 – 2015)
Member of the Genomics Working Group (Health Canada)
Reviewer for: Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis; Toxicology, Mutagenesis, Toxicological Sciences (among others)
Invited professor at the International Alexander Hollaender Course in Environmental Health and Genetics, Asuncion, Paraguay (Nov 10-13, 2013)
- Long AS, Wills JW, Krolak D, Guo M, Dertinger SD, Arlt VM, White, PA (2018). Benchmark dose analyses of multiple genetic toxicity endpoints permit robust, cross-tissue comparisons of MutaMouse responses to orally delivered benzo[a]pyrene. Archives of Toxicology 92:967-982.
- Maertens RM, Long AS, White PA (2017). Performance of the in vitro transgene mutation assay in MutaMouse FE1 cells: Evaluation of nine misleading ("False") positive chemicals. Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis 58(8):582-591.
- Long AS, Lemieux CL, Gagné R, Lambert IB, White PA (2017). Genetic Toxicity of Complex Mixtures of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons: Evaluating Dose-Additivity in a Transgenic Mouse Model. Environmental Science & Technology 51(14):8138-8148
- Valente WJ, Ericson NG, Long AS, White PA, Marchetti F, Bielas JH (2016). Mitochondrial DNA exhibits resistance to induced point and deletion mutations. Nucleic Acids Research. doi: 10.1093/nar/gkw716. [Epub ahead of print]
- Long, AS, Watson, M, Arlt, VM, White, PA (2016). Oral Exposure to Commercially Available Coal Tar-Based Pavement Sealcoat Induces Murine Genetic Damage and Mutations. Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis 57(7):535-45.
- Chepelev NL, Long AS, Bowers WJ, Gagné R, Williams A, Kuo B, Phillips DH, Arlt VM, White PA, Yauk CL (2016). Transcriptional profiling of the mouse hippocampus supports an NMDAR-mediated neurotoxic mode of action for benzo[a]pyrene. Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis 57(5):350-63.
- Wills JW*, Long AS*, Johnson GE, Bemis JC, Dertinger SD, Slob W, White PA (2016). *: contributed equally. Empirical analysis of BMD metrics in genetic toxicology part II: in vivo potency comparisons to promote reductions in the use of experimental animals for genetic toxicity assessment. Mutagenesis 31(2):265-75.
- Long, AS, Lemieux, CL, Arlt, VM, White, PA (2016). Tissue-specific in vivo genetic toxicity of nine polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons assessed using the Muta™Mouse transgenic rodent assay. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology 290:31-42.
- Chepelev, NL, Long, AS, Williams, A, Kuo, B, Gagné, R, Kennedy, DA, Phillips, DH, Arlt, VM, White, PA, Yauk, CL (2015). Transcriptional profiling of dibenzo(def,p)chrysene-induced spleen atrophy provides mechanistic insights into its immunotoxicity in Muta™Mouse. Toxicological Sciences 149(1):251-68.
- Chepelev, NL, Kennedy, DA, Gagné, R, White, T, Long, AS, Yauk, CL, White, PA (2015). HPLC Measurement of the DNA Oxidation Biomarker, 8-oxo-7,8-dihydro-2'-deoxyguanosine, in Cultured Cells and Animal Tissues. Journal of Visualized Experiments 2015(102), e52697, doi: 10.3791/52697.
- Lemieux, CL, Long, AS, Lambert, IB, Lundstedt, S, Tysklind, M, White, PA (2015). In vitro mammalian mutagenicity of complex polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon mixtures in contaminated soils. Environmental Science & Technology 49(3): 1787-1796.
- Lemieux, CL, Long, AS, Lambert, IB, Lundstedt, S, Tysklind, M, White, PA (2015). Cancer risk assessment of complex polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon contaminated soils determined using bioassay-derived levels of benzo(a)pyrene equivalents. Environmental Science & Technology 49(3): 1797-1805.
- Long, AS, Lemieux, CL, Shaikh, N, Yousefi, P, White, PA, Smith, K, Holland, N (2014). Human urinary mutagenicity after wood smoke exposure during traditional temazcal use. Mutagenesis 29(5):367-377.
- Malik, AI, Rowan-Carroll, A, Williams, A, Lemieux, CL, Long, AS, Arlt, VM, Phillips, D.H., White, PA, Yauk, CL. (2013) Hepatic genotoxicity and toxicogenomic responses in Muta™Mouse treated with dibenz[a,h]anthracene. Mutagenesis 28(5):543-554.
- Beyerle, A., Long, AS., White, PA., Kissel, T., Stoeger, T. (2011). Poly(ethylene imine) polymers do not induce mutation nor oxidative DNA damage in vitro in murine FE1 cells. Molecular Pharmaceutics 8(3): 976-981.
- Cohn, CA., Lemieux, CL., Long, AS., Krystol, JK., Vogel, U., White, PA., Madsen, AM. (2011). Physical-chemical and microbiological characterization, and mutagenic activity of airborne PM sampled in a biomass-fueled electrical production facility. Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis 52(4): 319-330.