Current research and/or projects
My research focuses on finfish aquaculture and in particular ways of improving productivity as well as environmental impact of operations. In particular, I am leading a project on cod broodstock diets (Aquaculture Collaborative Research Development Program funding, ACRDP) in collaboration with industry and the Cod Genome Project. Cod aquaculture is still in its infancy and much research is needed to contribute to its development. Salmon aquaculture growth and impact are also of great importance to the North Atlantic communities.
I am the lead on a project on the effect of hypoxic conditions on salmon physiology (ACRDP). In addition to that, and as part of the aquatic animal health component of our section, I am conducting research on the effect of produced water (PW) released by oil platforms on cod health and physiology. Both the cod nutrition project and the PW project will hopefully contribute to increase our knowledge of the physiology of this species so important in Atlantic Canada.
Research and/or project statements
Professional activities / interests
- Memorial University of Newfoundland
Education and awards
MSc in Biological oceanography, Aix-Marseille II University (France), 1992
PhD in Biological Oceanography (Marine Toxicology), Aix-Marseille II University (France), 1995
BSc in Marine Biology, Houari Boumediene University (Algeria) , 1991
- Hamoutene D., Mathieu A., Salaun J.P. et Lafaurie M., 1992. Mise en évidence de l’activité éthoxyresorufine O-dééthylase (EROD) chez la Posidonie Posidonia oceanica (L.) Delile. Océanis, vol. 18, Fasc. 2, 199-206.
- Hamoutene D., Mathieu A., Hofmann P., Salaun J.P. and Lafaurie M., 1995. Preparation and characterization of subcellular fractions suitable for studies of xenobiotic metabolism from leave sheaths of a marine seagrass Posidonia oceanica (L.) Delile. Marine Environmental Research, 39, 249-253.
- Hamoutene D., Romeo M., Gnassia M. and Lafaurie M., 1996. Cadmium effects on oxidative metabolism in Posidonia oceanica (L.) Delile. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 56, 327-334.
- Hamoutene D., Rahimtula A. and Payne J., 2000. Development of a new biochemical assay for assessing toxicity in invertebrate and fish sperm: Tributyltin toxic effect on sea urchin sperm. Water Research, 34(16), 4049-4053.
- Hamoutene D., Rahimtula A. and Payne J., 2000. Iron-ore mines leachate potential for oxyradical production. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 46, 218-224.
- Meade J.D., Hamoutene D., Power F.M., Fancey L.L. and Payne J.F., 2000. Marine Bivalve Data from a Site Contaminated with Copper Mine Tailings, and a Reference Site in Notre Dame Bay, Newfoundland. Canadian Data Report of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences No. 1062.
- Payne J.F., French B., Hamoutene D., Yeats P., Rahimtula A., Scruton D. and Andrews C., 2001. Are metal mining effluent regulations adequate: identification of a novel bleached fish syndrome in association with iron-ore mining effluents in Labrador, Newfoundland. Aquatic Toxicology, 52, 311-317.
- Hamoutene D., Payne J.F., Rahimtula A. and Lee K., 2002.Use of The Comet assay to assess DNA damage in hemocytes and digestive gland cells of mussels and clams exposed to water contaminated with petroleum hydrocarbons. Marine Environmental Research, 54 (3-5), 471-474.
- Hamoutene D., Payne J.F., French B., Veinott G. and Fancey L. 2002. Effect of copper mine tailings on lipid
- Veinott, G., Hynes T., Anderson R., Payne J., Sylvester P., Kwong J., Blanchette M., Davé N., Gani D., Hamoutene D., Chaulk J., and Meade J. 2002. A chemical and ecotoxicological assessment of the impact of marine tailings disposal at two former copper mine sites in Newfoundland Canadian Technical Report of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences No. 2435: x + 58 p.
- Veinott G., Sylvester P., Hamoutene D., Anderson Robin M., Meade J. and Payne J., 2003. State of the marine environment at Little Bay Arm, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada, 10 years after a « do nothing » response to a mine tailings spill. Journal of Environmental Monitoring, 5, 1-11.
- Hamoutene D., Payne J.F., Rahimtula A. and Lee K., 2004. Effect of Water Soluble Fractions of Diesel and an Oil Spill Dispersant (Corexit 9527) on Immune Responses in Mussels. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 72(6), 1260-1267.
- Hamoutene D., Payne J.F., Andrews C., Wells J. and Guinney J. 2004. Effect of a synthetic drilling fluid (IPAR) on antioxidant enzymes and peroxisome proliferation in the American lobster, Homarus americanus. Canadian Technical Report of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences No. 2554: iii + 12 p.
- Volkoff, H., Hamoutene, D., and Payne, J.F. 2007. Potential effects of tebufenozide on feeding and metabolism of lake trout (Salvelinus namaycush). Canadian Technical Report of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences No. 2777: iv + 19 p.
- Hamoutene D., Payne J.F., and H. Volkoff, 2008. Effect of tebufenozide on some aspects of lake trout (Salvelinus namaycush) immune response. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 69, 173-179.
- Hamoutene D., Puestow T., Miller-Banoub J., and Wareham V., 2008. Main lipid classes in some species of deep-sea corals in the Newfoundland and Labrador region (Northwest Atlantic Ocean). Coral reefs, 27, 237-46
- Mansour A., Hamoutene D., Mabrouk G., Puestow T., and Barlow E., 2008. Evaluation of some environmental parameters for salmon aquaculture cage sites in Fortune Bay, Newfoundland: Emphasis on the occurrence of hypoxic conditions. Canadian Technical Report of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 2814: vi + 21 p.
- Hamoutene D., Burt K., Samuelson S., Wareham V., and Miller-Banoub J., 2008. ATP and Protein Data in Some Species of Deep-Sea Corals in Newfoundland and Labrador Region (Northwest Atlantic Ocean). Canadian Technical Report of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 2801: iv + 18 p.
- Hamoutene D., Burt K., Samuelson S., Mabrouk G., Mansour A., and K. Williams. 2009. In vitro effect of acute hypoxia on blood cell metabolism and respiratory burst response in three aquaculture finfish species, cod (Gadus morhua), atlantic salmon (Salmo salar), and steelhead trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Canadian Technical Report of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. 2831: 10p.
- Dounia Hamoutene , Lynn Lush , Dwight Drover , and Andrew Walsh, 2009. Investigation on the temporal effects of spawning season and maternal and paternal differences on egg quality in Atlantic cod, Gadus morhua L. broodstock. Aquaculture Research, in press.
- Pérez-Casanova J.C., Hamoutene D., Volkoff H., Mabrouk G., Samuelson S., and Burt K. Effect of injection of Lipopolysaccharides from Aeromonas salmonicida on some aspects of cod (Gadus morhua) immunity and appetite hormones. Canadian Technical Report of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. in press