Current research and/or projects
Currently participating in the development of a Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and co-ordinating the design of new laboratory facilities with architects, engineers and local employees. On hiatus from phycotoxins except for some off-duty activities.
Education and awards
Aquaculture Diploma, NBCC/Huntsman Marine Laboratories, St. Andrews, NB , 1981
- Improvements to the mouse bioassay method for PSP toxins. D.J.A. Richard and M.A. Quilliam. ( 2004) In: M.A. Quilliam (Ed.), "Development and Validation of Phycotoxin Analytical Methods, Standards and Reference Materials for Seafood Product Certification and Safety", Section 2.2.1, APEC Report #204 MR 01.1, National Research Council of Canada
- Phytoplankton monitoring as a management tool: Timing of Alexandrium and Pseudo-nitzschia blooms in the Bay of Fundy, eastern Canada. Martin, J.L., F.H. Page, M.M. LeGresley, and D.J.A. Richard. 2004. In: “Harmful Algae Management and Mitigation”, Hall, S., Etheridge, S., Anderson, D., Kleindinst, J., Zhu, M. and Zou, Y. (Eds.), Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (Singapore): APEC Publication #204-MR-04.2, pp. 136-140.
- in vivo Assays for Phycotoxins. Maria Luisa Fernandez, Donald J.A. Richard and Allan D. Cembella. Manual on Harmful Marine Microalgae (Chapter XIII). G.M. Hallegraeff, D. M. Anderson and A. D.Cembella eds. (2003) Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission. pp. 347-380
- Neural Injury Biomarkers of Novel Shellfish Toxins, Spirolides: A Pilot Study Using Immunochemical and Transcriptional Analysis. Santokh Gill, Meghan Murphy, Joann Clausen, Don Richard, Mike Quilliam, Shawna MacKinnon, Patricia LeBlanc, Rudi Mueller, Olga Pulido. Journal Neurotoxicology Vol. 24, Issue: 4 5, 2003 pp. 593 604
- Toxicological neuropathology from domoic acid to spirolides the Health Canada experience. Olga Pulido, Don Richard, Michael Quilliam, Joann Clausen, Meghan Murphy, Peter Smyth, Ruedi Mueller and Santokh Gill. (2001) Proceedings of the Seventh Canadian Workshop on Harmful Marine Algae. J.N.C. Whyte, ed. Can. Tech. Rep. Fish. Aquat. Sci. xxxx; xiii + 158p. pp36-44.
- New marine phycotoxins in Eastern Canada Michael A. Quilliam, William R. Hardstaff, Nancy I. Lewis, Allan D. Cembella, B. Garth Burns, and Donald J.A. Richard. (2001) Proceedings of the Seventh Canadian Workshop on Harmful Marine Algae. J.N.C. Whyte, ed. Can. Tech. Rep. Fish. Aquat. Sci. xxxx; xiii + 158p. p 49 (Abstract)
- Investigations into the toxicology and pharmacology of spirolides, a novel group of shellfish toxins. Richard, D., Arsenault, E., Cembella, A. and Quilliam, M. Proceedings of the IXth International Conference on Harmful Microalgae, IOC UNESCO,(2001). pp. 383-387.
- Shellfish toxin monitoring in the Maritimes region 10 years since the establishment of the enhanced molluscan shellfish monitoring program. Donald J.A. Richard, Edmond J. Arsenault and Susan B. Eddy (1999) Proceedings of the Sixth Canadian Workshop on Harmful Marine Algae. Can. Tech. Rpt. Fish. Aqua. Sci., J.L. Martin and K. Haya eds. p. 31 34(iii).
- Paralytic shellfish toxin dose response curve for Bay of Fundy naturally contaminated soft shell clam, Mya arenaria. Donald J.A. Richard, Roland J. Cormier, Jacqueline A. Sutton, S. Jane Hawkins, Joanne D. Landry and Edmond J. Arsenault. (1999) Proceedings of the Sixth Canadian Workshop on Harmful Marine Algae. Can. Tech. Rpt. Fish. Aqua. Sci., J.L. Martin and K. Haya eds. p. 35 39.
- Optimization of the mouse bioassay for marine toxins results of an inter laboratory check sample for individual precision and possible reduction in the number of animals employed. Donald J.A. Richard, John W. Hurst, Laura A. Savina and Edmond J. Arsenault. (1999) Proceedings of the Sixth Canadian Workshop on Harmful Marine Algae. Can. Tech. Rpt. Fish. Aqua. Sci., J.L. Martin and K. Haya eds. p. 40 42(i).
- A high performance thin layer chromatographic method for domoic acid screening of shellfish tissues. Donald J.A. Richard and Edmond J. Arsenault. (1999) Proceedings of the Sixth Canadian Workshop on Harmful Marine Algae. Can. Tech. Rpt. Fish. Aqua. Sci., J.L. Martin and K. Haya eds. p. 68 70.
- A comparison of saxitoxin calibration standards by mouse bioassay and chemical analysis methods. Michael A. Quilliam, Allan D. Cembella, Anthony Windust and Donald J.A. Richard. (1999) Proceedings of the Sixth Canadian Workshop on Harmful Marine Algae. Can. Tech. Rpt. Fish. Aqua. Sci., J.L. Martin and K. Haya eds. p. 52 57
- Toxic phytoplankton, PSP and ASP toxicity data during the years 1988 1996 from the southwest Bay of Fundy, Eastern Canada. Jennifer L. Martin, Murielle M. Legresley and Donald J.A. Richard. (1998) Harmful Algae. B. Reguera, J. Blanco, M.L. Fernandez and T. Wyatt. Xunta de Galicia and Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission of UNESCO 1998, pp. 233 234
- Shellfish toxicity from the Bay of Fundy, Eastern Canada: 50 years in retrospect. J.L. Martin and D. Richard. (1996) Harmful and Toxic Algal Blooms. T. Yasumoto, Y. Oshima and Y. Fukuyo eds. pp.3 6.
- Temporal and spatial variation in PSP in Southwestern N.B. 1943 to present. Donald J.A. Richard and Susan B. Eddy. (1992) Proceedings of the Third Canadian Workshop on Harmful Marine Algae. J. C. Therriault and M. Levasseur, eds. Can. Tech. Rpt. Fish. Aqua. Sci. 1893 p. 34 (Abstract)
- PSP content of roe cannot be predicted from that in other tissues of Bay of Fundy sea scallops (Placopecten magellanicus) W. Watson Wright, D. Richard, A. Belliveau, A. McGuire and I. Marshall Third Pan American Symposium on Animal, Plant and Microbial Toxins, Oaxtepec, Morelos State, Mexico. 9 12 January (1990) Toxicon Vol.28, No.6, p.628 (Abstract).
- Zinc from oyster tissue as causative factor in mouse deaths in official bioassay for paralytic shellfish poison. A.W. McCulloch, R.K. Boyd, A.S.W. de Freitas, R.A Foxall, W.D. Jamieson, M.V. Laycock, M.A. Quilliam, J.L.C. Wright, V.J. Boyko, J.W. McLaren, M.R. Miedema, R. Pocklington, E. Arsenault and D.J.A. Richard.(1989) J. Assoc. Off. Anal. Chem. 72: 384 386
- Identification of domoic acid, a neuroexcitatory amino acid, in toxic mussels from eastern Prince Edward Island. J.L.C. Wright, R.K. Boyd, A.S.W. de Freitas, M. Falk, R.A. Foxall, W.D. Jamieson, M.V. Laycock, A.W. McCulloch, A.G. McInnes, P. Odense, V. Pathak, M.A. Quilliam, M.A. Ragan, P.G. Sim, P. Thibault, J.A. Walter, M. Gilgan, D.J.A. Richard and D. Dewar. (1989) Can J. Chem. (3): 481 490
- Identification of domoic acid as the toxic agent responsible for the P.E.I. contaminated mussel incident: A summary of work conducted at the Atlantic Research Laboratory of the National Research Council, Halifax, Between 13 December, 1987, and 11 January, 1988. Bird et al. (1988) Atlantic Research Laboratory Technical Report 56 NRCC No. 29083, 86 pages