Dominic Poulin-Laprade, Ph.D.
Current research and/or projects
- Develop nutritional approaches to modulate the intestinal microbiome and to optimize the maturation of the immune system of piglets to produce animals that are more robust and resilient and are less dependent on the use of antibiotics.
- Identify the genetic determinants conferring resistance and develop mitigating strategies to reduce antimicrobial resistance in pig production.
- Expand the knowledge of host-microbiota interactions and the flux of functional genes among bacteria.
Professional activities / interests
Member of granting agency review committees
Supervision of students
Researcher of the Swine and Poultry Infectious Diseases Research Center (CRIPA) supported by the Fonds de recherche du Québec – Nature et technologies (FRQNT) strategic cluster n°RS-170946
Member of the local organizing committee for the 2nd International Conference on Holobionts
Education and awards
Philosophiæ Doctor, Ph.D. in biology, University of Sherbrooke, Canada
Doctoral research scholarship B2, Fonds de recherche du Québec-Nature et technologies
Doctoral institutional scholarship, Faculty of Sciences, University of Sherbrooke
Scientific papers (peer review)
- Poulin-Laprade D, Brouard JS, Gagnon N, Turcotte A, Langlois A, Matte JJ, Carrillo CD, Zaheer R, McAllister T, Topp E, Talbot G. (2021) Resistance determinants and their genetic context in enterobacteria from a longitudinal study of pigs reared under various husbandry conditions. Appl Environ Microbiol. Jan 29:AEM.02612-20. doi: 10.1128/AEM.02612-20. Selected for the Spotlight section of AEM.
- Poulin-Laprade D, Burrus V. (2015) A Cro-like repressor is essential for the induction of conjugative transfer of SXT/R391 elements in response to DNA damage. J Bacteriol, 197(24):3822-3833. Selected for the Spotlight section of the Journal of Bacteriology and featured in an article in mBiosphere.
- Poulin-Laprade D, Matteau D, Jacques PE, Rodrigue S, Burrus V. (2015) Transfer activation of SXT/R391 integrative and conjugative elements: unraveling the SetCD regulon. Nucleic Acids Res, 43(4):2045-56.
- Allard N, Garneau D, Poulin-Laprade D, Burrus V, Brzezinski R, Roy S. (2015) A diaminopimelic acid auxotrophic Escherichia coli donor provides improved counterselection following intergeneric conjugation with actinomycetes. Can J Microbiol, 6(81):565-574.
- Garriss G, Poulin-Laprade D, Burrus V. (2013) DNA damaging agents induce the RecA-independent homologous recombination functions of integrating conjugative elements of the SXT/R391 family. J Bacteriol, 195(9):1991-2003.
- Daccord A, Mursell M, Poulin-Laprade D, Burrus V. (2012) Dynamics of the SetCD-regulated integration and excision of genomic islands mobilized by integrating conjugative elements of the SXT/R391 family. J Bacteriol, 194(21):5794-802.
- Dubeau MP, Poulin-Laprade D, Ghinet MG, Brzezinski R. (2011) Properties of CsnR, the transcriptional repressor of the chitosanase gene, csnA, of Streptomyces lividans. J Bacteriol, 193(10): 2441-50.
- Ghinet MG, Roy S, Poulin-Laprade D, Lacombe-Harvey M, Morosoli R, Brzezinski R. (2010) Chitosanase from Streptomyces coelicolor A3(2) : biochemical properties and role in protection against antibacterial effect of chitosan. Biochem Cell Biol, 88(6):907-16.
- Poulin-Laprade D, Carraro N, Burrus V. (2015) The extended regulatory networks of SXT/R391 integrative and conjugative elements and IncA/C conjugative plasmids. Regulation of gene expression in enteropathogenic bacteria - Food microbiology. Front Microbiol, 6:837.
- Poulin-Laprade D, Burrus V. (2015) Electrophoretic mobility shift using radioloabeled DNA probes. Methods Mol biol, Springer protocols, 1334:1-15.
Adjunct Professor, Faculty of Sciences, University of Sherbrooke
Member of the Canadian Society of Microbiologists
Member of the American Society for Microbiology