Dennis Jiang, PhD
Petroleum and environmental organic geochemistry
Current research and/or projects
Petroleum system studies in the Canadian sedimentary basins:
- Application of advanced geochemical analytical techniques such as gas chromatography, mass spectrometry and compound specific carbon isotope analyses to the characterization of discovered and/or produced crude oils and solvent extracts from rock and soil samples;
- Oil evaluation, oil-oil and oil-source correlation based on their compositional and isotopic signatures to determine the source rocks of the oil accumulations and their post-accumulation alterations;
- Source rock evaluation using both organic geochemistry and petrography for its potential as an effective source rock of conventional oil accumulations in a basin and/or its productivity as an unconventional shale/tight gas/oil play;
- Geochemical characterization of organic matter in soil, recent sediments and water to determine their distribution and source;
Research and/or project statements
Current Research Projects:
- Petroleum systems of Mackenzie Corridor basins and Beaufort-Mackenzie basin.
- Methodology development for shale petroleum (gaz and light oil) resource assessment and reservoir characterization.
- Characterization of organic matter in soil and lake sediments.
Education and awards
Ph.D., Organic Geochemistry, Curtin University of Technology, Australia, 1998.
M.Sc., Petroleum Geology, Research Institute of Petroleum Exploration & Development, P. R. China, 1988.
B.Sc., Chemistry, Shandong University, P. R. China, 1985.
International experience and/or work
PetroChina Research Institute, Beijing, P. R. China, 1989-1994.
Melbourne University Chemistry Department, Melbourne, Australia, 1994-1995.
Humble Geochemical Services/Schlumberger, Houston, USA, 2003-2005.
- Chen, Z. and Jiang, C. (2016) A revised method for organic porosity estimation in shale reservoirs using Rock-Eval data: Example from Duvernay Formation in the Western Canada Sedimentary Basin. AAPG Bulletin 100:405-422. ESS Contribution #20140280
- Jiang, C., Chen, Z., Mort, A., Milovic, M., Robinson, R., Stewart, R. and Lavoie, D. (2016) Hydrocarbon evaporatiev loss from shale core sampels as revealed by thermal desorption-gas chromatography analysis: Its geochemcial and geological implications. Marine and Petroleum Geology 70:294-303.
- Kondla, D., Sanei, H., Clarkson, C. R., Ardakani, O. H., Wang, X. and Jiang, C. (2016) Effects of organic and mineral matter on reservoir quality in a Middle Triassic mudstone in the Canadian Arctic. International Journal of Coal Geology 153:112-126. ESS Contribution 20150189
- Sanei, H., Wood, J. M., Ardakani, O. H., Clarkson, C. R. and Jiang, C. (2015) Characterization of organic matter fractions in an unconventional tight gas siltstone reservoir. International Journal of Coal Geology 150-151:296-305.
- Chen, Z. and Jiang, C. (2015) A data driven model for studying kerogen kinetics with application examples from Canadian sedimentary basins. Marine and Petroleum Geology 67:795-803. ESS Contribution #20150161
- Haeri-Ardakani, O., Sanei, H., Lavoie, D., Chen, Z. and Jiang, C. (2015) Geochemical and petrographic characterization of the Upper Ordovician Utica Shale, southern Quebec, Canada. International Journal of Coal Geology 138:83-94.
- Sanei H., Petersen H. I., Schovsbo N. H., Jiang C., Goodsite M. E. (2014) Petrographic and geochemical composition of kerogen in the Furongian (U. Cambrian) Alum Shale, central Sweden: Reflections on the petroleum generation potential. International Journal of Coal Geology 132:158-169.
- Bennett, B., Jiang C., Snowdon L. R. and Larter, S. R. (2014) A practical method for the separation of high quality heavy oil and bitumen samples from oil reservoir cores for physical and chemical property determination. Fuel 116:208-213.
- Jiang C., Bennett, B., Larter, S. R., Adams, J. J. and Snowdon, L. R. (2010) Viscosity and API gravity determination of solvent extracted heavy oil and bitumen. Journal of Canadian Petroleum Technology, 49(7):20-27.
- Jiang C., Larter, S. R., Noke, K. J., and Snowdon, L. R. (2008) TLC-FID (Iatroscan) Analysis of Heavy Oil and Tar Sand Samples. Organic Geochemistry 39:1210-1214.
- Osadetz, K.G., Jiang C., Evenchick, C. A., Ferri, F., Stasiuk, l. D., Wilson, N.S.F., and Hayes, M. (2007) Compositions and significance of crude oil stains in Bowser and Sustut basins (Intermontane Belt) British Columbia. Bulletin of Canadian Petroleum Geology 55:285-305.
- Jiang C. and Li, M. (2002) Bakken/Madison petroleum systems in the Canadian Williston Basin. Part 3: Geochemical evidence for significant Bakken-derived oils in Madison Group reservoirs. Organic Geochemistry 33:761-787.
- Jiang C., Li, M., Osadetz, K.G., Snowdon, L.R., Obermajer, M. and Fowler, M. G. (2001) Bakken/Madison petroleum systems in the Canadian Williston Basin. Part 2: Molecular markers diagnostic of Bakken- and Lodgepole source rocks. Organic Geochemistry 32:1037-1054.
- Li, M. and Jiang C. (2001) Bakken/Madison petroleum systems in the Canadian Williston Basin. Part 1: C21-C26 20-n-Alkyl-pregnanes and their triaromatic analogs as indicators for Upper Devonian-Mississippian epicontinental black shale derived oils? Organic Geochemistry 32:667-675.