Current research and/or projects
I am interested in interdisciplinary oceanographic questions pertinent to climate variability over a variety of spatial and temporal scales. Modelling is my main tool, but I also like to get wet and visit the system that I am attempting to model. Outside of science I enjoy spending time with my son, exploring the natural world and all manner of outdoor activity from gardening to backcountry skiing. I also like to see how little fossil fuel I can burn without compromising the above luxuries.
Education and awards
- MSc., Physics (1993), University of British Columbia
- PhD., Oceanography (2001), University of British Columbia
- BSc.E. honours, Physics (1991), Queen's University
- Ianson D., Feely R. A., Sabine C. L. and L. W. Juranek. 2009. Features of Coastal Upwelling Regions that Determine Net Air-Sea CO2 flux. Journal of Oceanography. 65:677-687.
- Cullen, J. T., Chong, M. and Ianson, D. 2009. The British Columbian continental shelf as a source of dissolved iron to the subarctic northeast Pacific Ocean. Global Biogeochem. Cycles. doi:10.1029/2008GB003326.
- Jackson, J.M., Myers P. G. and Ianson, D. 2009. An examination of mixed layer sensitivity in the northeast Pacific Ocean from July 2001 - July 2005 using the General Ocean Turbulence Model and Argo data. Atmosphere-Ocean. 47(2):139-153, doi:10.3137/OC308.2009.
- Feely, R. A., Sabine, C. L., Hernandez-Ayon, J. M., Ianson, D. and Hales B. 2008. Evidence for Upwelling of Corrosive 'Acidified' Water onto the Continental Shelf. Science. 1155676(1). DOI:10.1126/science.155676
- Nemcek, N., Ianson, D. and Tortell P. D. 2008. A High-resolution survey of DMS, CO2 and O2/Ar distributions in productive coastal waters. Global Biogeochemical Cycles. 22. GB2009. doi:10.1029/2006GB002879.
- Jackson, J. M., Myers, P. G. and Ianson, D. 2006. An examination of advection in the northeast Pacific Ocean, 2001-2005. Geophys. Res. Lett. 33(15):L15601. http://dx.doi.org/10.1029/2006GL026278
- Ianson D., Jackson G. A., Angel M. V., Lampitt R. S. and Burd A. B. 2004. The effect of net avoidance on estimates of diel vertical migration. Limnol. Oceanog. 49:2297-2303.
- Stemmann L., Jackson G. A. and Ianson, D. 2004. A vertical model of particle size distributions and fluxes in the midwater column that includes biological and physical processes - Part I: model formulation. Deep Sea Research I. 51:865-884.
- Ianson, D., Allen S. E., Harris S. L., Orians K. J., Varela D. E. and Wong C. S.. 2003. The inorganic carbon system in the coastal upwelling region west of Vancouver Island, Canada. Deep Sea Research I. 50:1023-1042.
- D. Ianson and S. E. Allen. 2002. A two-dimensional nitrogen and carbon flux model in a coastal upwelling region. Global Biogeochem. Cycl. 16(1):10,1029/2001GB00145. This article was chosen for the virtual journal: Editors Choice Biogeosciences: a collection of AGU articles.
- D. Ianson, S. Pond, T. R. Parsons. 2001. The spring phytoplankton bloom in the coastal temperate ocean: growth criteria and seeding from shallow embayments. J. Oceanog. 57:723-734.
- University of BC, Canada
- Simon Fraser University, Canada
- University of Victoria, Canada