Curtis Cavers, M. Sc., P. Ag., CCA
Curtis is the site supervisor for the AAFC-Portage la Prairie sub-station which is part of the Brandon Research and Development Centre. Curtis has a focus in agronomy and soil science, specifically in the areas of nutrient management, soil health, tillage, water management, precision agriculture and general crop production.
Current research and/or projects
Curtis strives to conduct applied, practical research in a collaborative environment with AAFC and external colleagues in the local, regional and national agricultural community. As a Certified Crop Advisor (CCA), Curtis believes in the value of on-going training and works to provide opportunities for this to happen.
Research and/or project statements
- Examining the effects of extreme moisture conditions on crop production and alternatives to mitigate the impacts of extreme moisture.
- Examining linkages between soil health indicators (soil erosion, soil compaction, soil organic matter and soil salinity) and impacts to crop production in a landscape-based/precision ag setting.
- Contributing to the knowledge of 4R nutrient management principles for managing nitrogen in corn.
- Facilitating and supporting other facets of agronomic research, such as variety testing, crop rotation research, weed management, disease management, etc.
Professional activities / interests
- Training, technology transfer and extension activities, as part of the application of current research and development findings.
- Past Chair, Prairie Certified Crop Advisor Board.
- Member, Manitoba Soil Science Society.