Curtis Cavers, M. Sc., P. Ag., CCA
Curtis is the site supervisor for the AAFC-Portage la Prairie sub-station which is part of the Brandon Research and Development Centre. Curtis has a focus in agronomy and soil science, specifically in the areas of nutrient management, soil health, tillage, water management, precision agriculture and general crop production.
Current research and/or projects
Curtis strives to conduct applied, practical research in a collaborative environment with AAFC and external colleagues in the local, regional and national agricultural community. As a Certified Crop Advisor (CCA), Curtis believes in the value of on-going training and works to provide opportunities for this to happen.
Research and/or project statements
- Examining the effects of extreme moisture conditions on crop production and alternatives to mitigate the impacts of extreme moisture.
- Examining linkages between soil health indicators (soil erosion, soil compaction, soil organic matter and soil salinity) and impacts to crop production in a landscape-based/precision ag setting.
- Contributing to the knowledge of 4R nutrient management principles for managing nitrogen in corn.
- Facilitating and supporting other facets of agronomic research, such as variety testing, crop rotation research, weed management, disease management, etc.
Professional activities / interests
- Training, technology transfer and extension activities, as part of the application of current research and development findings.
Molina, O.I., Tenuta, M., El Hadrami, A., Buckley, K., Cavers, C., Daayf, F. (2014). Potato Early Dying and Yield Responses to Compost, Green Manures, Seed Meal and Chemical Treatments, 91(4), 414-428. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12230-014-9365-02014 - View publication details
- Past Chair, Prairie Certified Crop Advisor Board.
- Member, Manitoba Soil Science Society.