Current research and/or projects
I study the influence of management practices and ecophysiological factors on wood properties and potential value of forest products. I lead an integrated approach currently focused on the resource assessment of Coastal second-growth forests.
Research and/or project statements
Professional activities / interests
- Review scientific texts.
- Speaker at multiple conferences.
- Member of the Board of Directors, Coastal Silviculture Committee.
- Secretary of the Advisory Committee, Cedar Research Working Group.
Education and awards
B.Sc. in Forestry, University ‘Transilvania’ of Brasov, Romania.
Ph.D. in Forest Biology and Management, University of Alberta.
Dissertation Fellowship, University of Alberta, 2005-2006.
Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship, University of Alberta, 2003-2005.
Desmond I Crossley Memorial Scholarship, University of Alberta, 2002-2003.
- Filipescu, C.N.; Lowell, E.C.; Koppenaal, R.; Mitchell, A.K. 2014. Modeling regional and climatic variation of wood density and ring width in intensively managed Douglas-fir. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 44: Page 220 - Page 229. doi:10.1139/cjfr-2013-0275.
- Cortini, F.; Groot, A.; Filipescu, C.N. 2013. Models of the longitudinal distribution of ring area as a function of tree and stand attributes for four major Canadian conifers. Annals of Forest Science : 70: 637 - 648. doi:10.1007/s13595-013-0305-9.
- Cruickshank, M.G.; Filipescu, C.N. 2012. Allometries of coarse tree, stem, and crown measures in Douglas-fir are altered by Armillaria root disease. Botany 90: 711 - 721. doi:10.1139/B2012-040.
- Filipescu, C.N.; Groot, A.; MacIsaac, D.M.; Cruickshank, M.G.; Stewart, J.D. 2012. Prediction of diameter using height and crown attributes: a case study. Western Journal of Applied Forestry 27: 30 - 35.
- Cortini, F.; Filipescu, C.N.; Groot, A.; MacIsaac, D.M.; Nunifu, T. 2011. Regional models of diameter as a function of individual tree attributes, climate and site characteristics for six major tree species in Alberta. Forests 2: 814-831. doi:10.3390/f2040814.
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Geography, University of Victoria