Calvin Klatt, PhD
Management of the Canadian Geodetic Survey, NRCan
Current research and/or projects
I am the Director of the Canadian Geodetic Survey, Surveyor General Branch, NRCan and chief geodesist of Canada.
Research and/or project statements
- As Director of the Canadian Geodetic survey I provide direction to Canada's geodetic agency.
- As Acting Director for the NRCan Office of the Chief Scientist (2014) I managed a team of 14 staff, supporting the Chief Scientist in providing leadership across the Federal Government in policy for science.
- As Section Chief for Geodetic Systems and Infrastructure (2010-2015) I managed a team of approximately 16 staff involved in Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) network operations and client support. I was the Liaison for scientific applications of Geodesy and remain involved in research in applications of Geodesy for water quantity studies. I supported NRCan's involvement in the Federal GNSS Coordination Board. In particular I supported efforts related to GNSS sensitivity to Space Weather.
- As Assistant to the Chief Scientist of the Earth Science Sector (2005-2006), I assisted with the preparation of files related to science strategy and research, providing strategic advice to senior management.
- As Program Manager of the Reducing Risks from Natural Hazards (Public Safety Geosciences) program (2008-2010), I provided oversight and management of the research activities of a large interdisciplinary, national team. I managed program finances and supervised project leaders involved in earthquake, tsunami, landslide, space weather and volcano hazard assessment.
- As a Research Scientist (1997-2001) I played a key role in developing a Canadian astronomical geodesy program.
Professional activities / interests
- Global Navigation Satellite Systems - operations today and future position and navigation capabilities.
- Economic analysis of geoscience products, information and services.
- Scientific applications of geophysics.
- Science-Policy linkages, communications.
Education and awards
York University, 1995 PhD Space Science
University of British Columbia, 1986 M.A.Sc. Engineering Physics
University of Alberta, 1984 B.Sc. Electrical Engineering
2014 Certificate of Recognition for commitment and leadership, awarded by the NRCan Chief Scientist.
2008 Natural Resources Canada Departmental Merit Award - Introduction of new Research Scientist promotion system
2003 Natural Resources Canada Departmental Merit Award - Collaboration with Museum of Science and Technology
Klatt, C., and P. Johnson, 2017. Estimating Benefits to Canada and the World: The Canadian Spatial Reference System Precise Point Positioning Service. Geomatica Vol 71, No 1, 2017
Klatt, C., and P. Johnson, 2017. A survey of surveys: The Canadian Spatial Reference System Precise Point Positioning Service. Geomatica Vol 71, No 1, 2017
Klatt, C. Geodetic Technologies Enabling Innovation Part 1: Federal Government. Geomatica Vol 70, No 3, 2016
Klatt, C. Precise Timing from Global Navigation Satellite Systems and Implications for Critical Infrastructure. The Infrastructure Resilience Risk Reporter Vol 1, Issue 5, 2016
Klatt, C. "Geodesy", Encyclopedia of Remote Sensing, Springer 2013. http://www.springerreference.com/docs/html/chapterdbid/327114.html
Huang, J., Halpenny, J., van der Wal, W., Klatt, C., James, T., Rivera, A. "Detectability of groundwater storage change within the Great Lakes Water Basin using GRACE", Journal of Geophysical Research, volume 117, B08401, 2012.
Ghoddousi-Fard, R., Klatt, C. "Global Navigation Satellite Systems: Critical Infrastructure sensitive to the Earth's Ionosphere". Presentation to the 2013 International Critical Infrastructure Protection and Space Weather Workshop, March 2013.
Member, Canadian Geophysical Union, 1997-Present (past vice-president of Geodesy Section)
Member, Alpine Club of Canada, 1990-Present. Past Chair of Toronto Section. Past Chair of Ottawa Section