Brian G. Eddy
Current research and/or projects
Since a very young age, I have always been fascinated by maps and nature, and I carried this passion into my career. With my background in geoscience, geography and geomatics, I became involved in a wide range of applications conducted across Canada and internationally including geological and natural resources mapping; oceanography and coastal zone management; mapping land cover, biodiversity and protected areas; and integrated resource and environmental management. My doctorate research took on the subject of mapping sustainability indicators, with a focus on integrating socio-economic and biophysical data in a spatially explicit manner. Since joining NRCan and CFS in 2009, I have been actively applying this research as a co-leader for a national integrated assessment as part of the CFS Forest Change initiative under the Canada’s Adaptation Platform. My main project now is mapping Canada's Forest Ecumene as a flexible framework for integrating socio-economic and biophysical dimensions in a spatially explicit manner.
Research and/or project statements
Current Research Projects:
- Mapping Canada’s Forest Ecumene for bio-physical and socio-economic data integration and modelling in Adaptive Ecosystems Management.
- Development of the CanEcumene 2.0 Geospatial database, and applications for resource-dependent communities.
- Development and application of Adaptive Management Frameworks (AMF) for Integrated Assessment and related work (Sustainable Forest Management, Cumulative Effects, Regional Assessment)
Professional activities / interests
- Science Advisory Committee (ISAC) - Office of the Chief Scientist (OCS)
- Forest Climate Change (1.0 and 2.0) – Core Team member/AFC Representative (2011-current).
- Masters in Applied Geomatics (MAG) program committee – Memorial University of Newfoundland, Grenfell Campus and College of the North Atlantic, Corner Brook, NL
Education and awards
- Ph.D. in Geography and Environmental Studies, Carleton University, 2006
- M.Sc. in Earth Sciences, University of Ottawa, 1996
- B.Sc. (Hons.) in Geology, Acadia University, 1987
- Recipient of a Senate Medal for Outstanding Academic Achievement at the Ph.D. Level, Carleton University, 2006
- SSHRC Research Assistant, 2003-2006
- SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship, 2003-2005
- Graduate Studies and Research Scholarship, Carleton University, 2001-2005
- SSHRC/Statistics Canada Scholarship – Summer Program in Data Analysis, York University, 2004
- Jack F. Fleming Scholarship, Carleton University, 2003-2004
- NSERC Research Assistant, 1993-1994
International experience and/or work
- Project Manager: INTARIS (Integrated Arctic Resource Information System) - 1995-1998. A $1.6M CIDA project for institutional development, geomatics technology transfer and conversion of 80 years of historical sea-ice and meteorological data for the Russian Arctic (St. Petersburg, RU)
- Eddy B.G., Muggridge M, LeBlanc R, Osmond J, Kean C, Boyd E. 2020. An Ecological Approach for Mapping Socio-Economic Data in Support of Ecosystems Analysis: Examples in Mapping Canada’s Forest Ecumene. One Ecosystem 5: e55881. https://doi.org/10.3897/oneeco.5.e55881
- Eddy, B.G., Muggridge, M., LeBlanc, R., Osmond, J., Kean, C., and Boyd, E. 2020. The CanEcumene 2.0 GIS Database. Federal Geospatial Platform (FGP), Natural Resources Canada. https://open.canada.ca/data/en/dataset/3f599fcb-8d77-4dbb-8b1e-d3f27f932a4b
Vodden, K., Cunsolo, A., S. Breen, C. Curtis, B.G. Eddy, S. Hextall, S. L. Harper, N. King, A. Kipp, S. Manners, L. Rethoret (2021): Rural and Remote Communities; Chapter 3 in Canada in a Changing Climate: National Issues Report, (ed.) F.J. Warren and N. Lulham; Government of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario. https://changingclimate.ca/national-issues/chapter/3-0/
Erni, S., Johnston, L., Boulanger, Y., Manka, F., Bernier, P., Eddy, B.G., Christianson, A., Swystun, T., and Gauthier, S. (2020). Exposure of the Canadian Wildland-Human Interface (WHI) and population to wildland fire, under current and future climate conditions. Canadian Journal of Forest Research. https://doi.org/10.1139/cjfr-2020-0422
- Matthew Miller, L., B. Eddy and M. van Zyll de Jong. 2017. Assessing Climate Change Vulnerabilities in Northern Boreal Forests." International Journal of Climate Change: Impacts and Responses 9: 20.
- McKenney, D., D. Yemshanov, J. Pedlar, D. Allen, K. Lawrence, E. Hope, B. Lu and B. Eddy (2016). Canada's timber supply: current status and future prospects under a changing climate. Great Lakes Forestry Centre, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canadian Forest Service, Natural Resources Canada.
- Ste-Marie, C. B., P.; Eddy, B.; Edwards, J.; Gauthier, S.; Mathey, A.-H.; McKenney, D.W.; Parfett, R.; Pedlar, J.H.; Price, D.T.; Stinson, G. (2015). Forest Change — the Canadian Forest Service program on adaptation on climate change. XIV World Forestry Congress. Durban, South Africa: 8.
- Eddy, B. G.; Hearn, B.; Luther, J.E.; Van Zyll de Jong, M.; Bowers, W.; Parsons, R.; Piercey, D.; Strickland, G.; Wheeler, B. 2014. An information ecology approach to science–policy integration in adaptive management of social-ecological systems. Ecology and Society 19(3): 40. doi:10.5751/ES-06752-190340.
- Greene, R.; Devillers, R.; Luther, J.; Eddy, B. 2011. GIS-Based Multiple-Criteria Decision Analysis. Geography Compass 5/6: 412-432. doi:10.1111/j.1749-8198.2011.00431.x.
- Eddy, B.G.; Dort, A. 2011. Integrating Socio-Economic Data for Integrated Land Management (ILM): Examples from the Humber River Basin, western Newfoundland. Geomatica, Vol. 65, No. 3, p. 283-291. doi:10.5623/cig2011-044.
- Greene, R.; Luther, J.; Devillers, R.; Eddy, B. 2010. An approach to GIS-based multiple criteria decision analysis that integrates exploration and evaluation phases: Case study in a forest-dominated landscape. Forest Ecology and Management 260, 2102-2114. doi:10.1016/j.foreco.2010.08.052.
- McAfee, B.; de Camino, R.; Burton, P.; Eddy, B.; Fähser, L.; Messier, C.; Reed, M.; Spies, T.; Vides, R. 2010. Managing Forested Landscapes for Socio-Ecological Resilience. In : Mery, G.; Katila, P.; Galloway, G.; Alfaro, R.; Kanninen. M.; Lobovikov, M.; Varjo, J. (eds.). 2010. Forests and Society - Responding to Global Drivers of Change. IUFRO World Series Volume 25. IUFRO, Vienna, Austria.
Canadian Institute of Forestry (CIF)
Canadian Association of Geographers (CAG)
Regional Studies Association (RSA)