Bill Wong, P.Eng.
Team Leader of the Renewable Heat & Power team within the Buildings and Renewables Group at CanmetENERGY-Ottawa lab. Area of research: solar, wind, marine and deep geothermal. Application focus: renewable energy technolologies and associated systems for homes, buildings and communities for GHG emissions reduction and operating cost savings.
Current research and/or projects
Low-carbon community energy systems.
Cost-effective application of renewable energy technologies in our built-environment.
Research and/or project statements
Managing and conducting CE-O R&D activities in the Renewable Heat and Power area and contributing to S&T planning for the IETS R&D planning cycle. Participating and leading R&D planning in several research themes including solar energy, community energy, geothermal and renewable energy resource measurement. Managing a large, complex R&D project “Smart Communities” involving district heating, solar energy and smart community energy networks.
Professional activities / interests
Focusing on low-carcon community energy systems, geothermal, seasonal thermal energy storage and compact thermal energy storage.
Education and awards
M.B.A. University of Ottawa, 1991
M.A.Sc. Mechanical Engineering (Solar Energy), University of Toronto, 1982
B.A.Sc. Engineering Science (Nuclear and Thermal Power), University of Toronto, 1979
International experience and/or work
Contributing and participating in the IEA Solar heating and Cooling TCP EXCO Committee as the Canadian representative.
- Lucio Mesquita, D. McClenahan, J. Thornton, J. Carriere and B. Wong, Drake Landing Solar Community: 10 Years of Operation. IEA SHC International Conference on Solar Heating and Cooling for Buildings and Industry. ISES Solar World Congress 2017.
- Wong, Bill, W. van Helden and M.R. Rosen, Compact Thermal Energy Storage for Potential Canadian Market Applications, CCTC 2013 Paper Number 1569694341, May 2013.
- Bruce Sibbitt, Doug McClenahan, Reda Djebbar, Jeff Thornton, Bill Wong, Jarrett Carriere, John Kokko, The Performance of a High Solar Fraction Seasonal Storage District Heating System – Five Years of Operation. IEA SHC 2112 Conference paper. Energy Procedia 2011.
- Sibbitt, Bruce, D. McClenahan, R. Djebbar, J. Thornton, B. Wong, J. Carriere, J. Kokko 2011. Measured and simulated performance of a high solar fraction district heating system with seasonal storage. International Solar Energy Society (ISES) Solar World Congress 2011.
- Ghommem, Mehdi, G. Balasubramanian, M. Hajj, W. P. Wong and J.A. Tomlin, I. K. Puri, Release of Stored Thermochemical Energy During Salt Hydration, International Journal of Heat and mass Transfer, May, 2011.
- Ford, Donald, B. Wong, Use of a Regional Hydrogeologic Model to Identify Candidate Areas for Borehole and Aquifer Thermal Energy Storage, GeoCanada 2010 – Working with the earth.
- Wong, W. P., D. McClenahan, L. McClung, J. Carriere, Performance Monitoring at the Drake Landing Solar Community, IDEA/CDEA Conference presentation 2010, Toronto, Ontario.
- Balasubramanian, Ganesh, M. Ghommem, M. Hajj, W. P. Wong, J. A. Tomlin and I. K. Puri, Modeling of Thermochemical Energy Storage by Salt Hydrates, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, July 2010.
- Wong, W.P., J.L. McClung, D. McClenahan, A. Snijders and J. Thornton 2009. The application of aquifer thermal energy storage in the Canadian greenhouse industry, International Society for Horticultural Science. Published in 2009.
- Wong, W.P., J.L. McClung, 2008. “How to save it for when you need it most – Solar Energy Case Study”, World Energy Engineering Conference, Washington DC, October 2008.
- Wong, W.P., J.L. McClung, A.L. Snijders, J.P. Kokko, Doug McClenahan, and J. Thornton, 2006. “First Large scale Solar Seasonal Borehole Thermal Energy Storage in Canada”, ECOSTOCK, Stockton College, NJ, May 31 – June 2, 2006.
- Wong, W.P., A.L. Snijders and J.L. McClung, 2006. “Recent Inter-seasonal Underground Thermal Energy Storage Applications in Canada”, Climate Change Technology Conference, Ottawa, ON, May 10-12, 2006.
- Doug McClenahan, John Gusdorf, John Kokko, Jeff Thornton, Bill Wong, 2006. “Okotoks: Seasonal Storage of Solar Energy for Space Heat in a New Community”, ACEEE Conference, August, 2006
- Wong W.P., C. Brown, B. Sibbitt, and D. McClenahan, 2003. “Solar Detoxification – Treatment of Contaminated Groundwater”, SESCI 2003 Solar Society of Canada Conference, Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario, August 18 to 20, 2003
Professional Engineers of Ontario
Association of Energy Engineers