Current research and/or projects
Art is currently working with the population ecology team in St. Andrews and provides field and lab technicial support for 4VWX herring assessment. He also contributes diving support for several other programs and participates in offshore groundfish surveys.
- Calibrate and maintain portable four frequency scientific sounder and operation of multibeam sonar equipment.
- Design and deploy underwater video system for herring observations in acoustic dead zones.
- Develop and execute underwater Sea Urchin population assessment in Southwest Bay of Fundy.
- Produce underwater information videos for the Aquaculture industry as well as Sea Urchin and Lobster fishery.
Education and awards
- BSc. (Honours) Marine Biology – University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario. (1981)
Art has a broad suite of skills and experience, and has had an association with fisheries work at SABS since the early 1980s. He has conducted work in the St. Andrews area related to herring acoustics, sea urchin and lobster population studies, scallop aquaculture and salmon aquaculture.
- MacIntyre A. and Melvin G. 2011. Use of remote underwater video to facilitate herring observations in acoustic dead zone. Working paper presented at 4VWX herring pre assessment meeting at NAFO headquarters in Dartmouth.
- Lawton P., MacIntyre, A.D., Robichaud, D.A. and Strong, M. B. 2005. Preliminary studies on coastal habitat occupancy by lobster, Homarus americanus, in relation to dredge spoil disposal in the approaches to Saint John Harbour, New Brunswick, Canada. Can. Manuscr. Rep. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 2718: iv + 23 pp
- Robinson SMC and AM MacIntyre 1993. Sea urchin population survey of Campobello Island, Deer Island and Grand Manan. Report for the Campobello Fishermen’s Association and the Canada-New Brunswick Cooperative Agreement on Fisheries and Aquaculture Development. 85 pp. Biological Station, St. Andrews, New Brunswick.
- Robinson, S.M.C. and A. MacIntyre. 1995 Biological fishery information for the rational development of the green sea urchin industry. Final Report for the New Brunswick Dept. Fisheries and Aquaculture and the Canada-New Brunswick Co-operation Agreement on Economic Diversification. 90 pp. Biological Station, St. Andrews, New Brunswick.
- Robinson, S.M.C and A.M. MacIntyre. 1997. Ageing and growth of the green sea urchin Bull. Aqua. Assoc. Canada. 97-1:56-60.
- Robinson, S.M.C., S. Bernier and A. MacIntyre 2001. The impact of scallop drags on sea urchin populations and benthos in the Bay of Fundy, Canada. Hydrobiologia 465:103-114.
- Robinson, S.M.C. and A. MacIntyre. 1997. Biological assessment of suspension culture for sea scallops at SeaBed Farms Ltd. In Grand Manan. (1996-1997). Report prepared for: National Research Council (IRAP) and the New Brunswick Dept. Fisheries and Aquaculture. 22 p.
- Population Ecology(herring)/Acoustic Technician, DFO St. Andrews, NB. (2008 to present)
- Proprietor of company Under The Sea (1992 – 2008)
Specializing in underwater Environmental monitoring, Invertebrate studies and Aquaculture support.
- Oceanographic Technician, DFO (1999 to 2001)
- Food Inspection Technician DFO (1991 – 1992)
- Aquaculture Instructor, St. Andrews Community College
- Site Biologist. DFO Salmon Demonstration and Development Farm (1986 – 1988)
- Commercial Diver Aquaculture and weir fishing industry. (1988 – 2004)
- Chemistry Technician DFO, St. Andrews, NB. (1981 – 1983)
- Field Technician, DFO, Sea Lamprey Control, Sault Ste Marie , Ontario (1978 – 1981)