I am a geoscientist with CanmetENERGY-Ottawa. I conduct research on the geological storage of CO2, the integrity of oil and gas wells, and geothermal energy.
Current research and/or projects
My research is focussed on determing the purity requirements for CO2 stored in the subsurface, developing novel wellbore remediation technologies, and advancing geothermal energy development in Canada.
Research and/or project statements
- Technology Roadmap to Improve Wellbore Integrity.
- Effect of impure CO2 streams on geologic storage of CO2.
- Use of biomineralization to fix leaky oil and gas wells.
- Advancing geothermal energy in Canada.
Professional activities / interests
- I jointly led, in collaboration with the Wellbore Integrity and Abandonment Society, the production of a Technology Roadmap to Improve Wellbore Integrity.
- I have been a key contributor to supporting NRCan's efforts to advance our geothermal energy resources.
- My work involves collaborating with universities and other research institutions, including the universities of Alberta, Waterloo, Ottawa, and Uppsala; Alberta Innovates - Technology Futures, and the US Department of Energy.
Education and awards
B.Sc. in Geology, University of Ottawa, 2000
M.Sc. in Earth Sciences, Carleton University, 2006
Government of Canada. Technology Roadmap to Improve Wellbore Integrity. May 2019. ISBN 978-0-660-29598-5. Available from https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/offices-labs/canmet/5765.
Hedayati, M., Wigston, A., Wolf, J. L., Rebscher, D., & Niemi, A. (2018). Impacts of SO 2 gas impurity within a CO 2 stream on reservoir rock of a CCS pilot site: Experimental and modelling approach. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 70, 32-44. doi:10.1016/j.ijggc.2018.01.003.
Galloway, J. M., Wigston, A., Patterson, R. T., Swindles, G. T., Reinhardt, E., & Roe, H. M. (2013). Climate change and decadal to centennial-scale periodicities recorded in a late holocene NE pacific marine record: Examining the role of solar forcing. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 386, 669-689. doi:10.1016/j.palaeo.2013.06.031
Porter, R. T. J., Mahgerefteh, H., Brown, S., Martynov, S., Collard, A., Woolley, R. M., . . . Krevor, S. (2016). Techno-economic assessment of CO 2 quality effect on its storage and transport: CO 2 QUEST: An overview of aims, objectives and main findings. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 54, 662-681. doi:10.1016/j.ijggc.2016.08.011
Talman, S., Perkins, E., Wigston, A., Ryan, D., & Bachua, S. (2013). Geochemical effects of storing CO 2 in the basal aquifer that underlies the prairie region in canada. Paper presented at the Energy Procedia, , 37 5570-5579. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2013.06.478 Retrieved from www.scopus.com
Wang, J., Ryan, D., Anthony, E. J., Wigston, A., Basava-Reddi, L., & Wildgust, N. (2012). The effect of impurities in oxyfuel flue gas on CO2 storage capacity. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 11, 158-162. doi:10.1016/j.ijggc.2012.08.002
Wang, Z., Wang, J., Lan, C., He, I., Ko, V., Ryan, D., & Wigston, A. (2016). A study on the impact of SO2 on CO2 injectivity for CO2 storage in a canadian saline aquifer. Applied Energy, 184, 329-336. doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.09.067