Andrew R.S. Ross
Current research and/or projects
Dr. Andrew R.S. Ross is a Research Scientist at the DFO Institute of Ocean Sciences in Sidney, British Columbia. He develops and uses analytical methods to study biological and environmental processes that control the availability and distribution of trace elements, marine biotoxins and contaminants. His research involves profiling essential trace metals (micronutrients) and metal-binding compounds (ligands) in the ocean and developing mass spectrometry (MS)-based methods to detect and quantify toxic chemicals in the marine environment. He conducts his research in collaboration with colleagues at universities and other government laboratories in Canada and internationally.
Research and/or project statements
Dr. Ross is DFO Lead Scientist for the Line-P Iron Program, a GEOTRACES process study. He is currently Principal Investigator on an ACRDP project to study links between environmental conditions and the impacts of harmful algae and associated biotoxins on BC salmon farms, in collaboration with aquaculture industry partners. His research supports the provision of science advice regarding the potential impacts of climate change and other stressors on marine fisheries and ecosystems due to their effects on biotoxin, contaminant and micronutrient levels. Dr. Ross is an Adjunct Assistant Professor in Biochemistry and Microbiology at the University of Victoria, British Columbia where he teaches and supervises graduate and undergraduate students in marine biogeochemistry and proteomics. He is a member of the IOC International Group for Marine Ecological Time Series.
Professional activities / interests
Member of the Chemical Institute of Canada (CIC).
Member of the Association of the Chemical Profession of British Columbia (ACPBC).
Member of the Canadian National Proteomics Network (CNPN).
Education and awards
- Ph.D. in Analytical and Marine Chemistry (1998), UBC
- B.Sc. (Hons, 1st class) in Chemistry (1993), University of Surrey, UK
International experience and/or work
Member of the UNESCO-IOC International Group for Marine Ecological Time Series (IGMETS).
Vice-chair of the North Pacific Marine Science Organisation (PICES) Marine Environmental Quality (MEQ) Committee.
Member of the PICES Section on Harmful Algal Blooms (S-HAB).
1. Ross, A.R.S., Ikonomou, M.G., Thompson, .J., and Orians, K.J. 1998. Determination of dissolved metal species by electrospray ionization mass spectrometry. Analytical Chemistry 70: 2225-2235.
2. Ross, A.R.S., Ikonomou, M.G., and Orians, K.J. 2000. Characterization of dissolved tannins and their metal-ion complexes by electrospray ionization mass spectrometry. Analytica Chimica Acta 411: 91-102.
3. Ross, A.R.S., Ikonomou, M.G., and Orians, K.J. 2000. Electrospray ionization of alkali and alkaline earth metal species. Electrochemical oxidation and pH effects. Journal of Mass Spectrometry 35: 981-989.
4. Ross, A.R.S., Lee, P.J., Smith, D.L., Langridge, J.I., Whetton, A.D., and Gaskell, S.J. 2002. Identification of proteins from two-dimensional polyacrylamide gels using a novel acid-labile surfactant. Proteomics 2: 928-936.
5. Wanasundara, P.K.J.P.D., Ross, A.R.S., Amarowicz, R., Ambrose, S.J., Pegg, R.B., and Shand, P.J. 2002. Peptides with angiotensin I-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitory activity from hydrolysed-defibrinated bovine plasma. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 50: 6981-6988.
6. Ross, A.R.S., Ikonomou, M.G., and Orians, K.J. 2003. Characterization of copper-complexing ligands in seawater using immobilized copper(II)-ion affinity chromatography and electrospray ionization mass spectrometry. Marine Chemistry 83: 47-58.
7. Napper, S., Kindrachuk, J., Olson, D.J.H., Ambrose, S.J., Dereniwsky, C., and Ross, A.R.S. 2003. Selective extraction and characterization of a histidine-phosphorylated peptide using immobilized copper(II)-ion affinity chromatograph and matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization-time of flight mass spectrometry. Analytical Chemistry 75: 1741-1747.
8. Ross, A.R.S., Ambrose, S.J., Cutler, A.J., Feurtado, J. A., Kermode, A.R., Nelson, K., Zhou, R., and Abrams, S.R. 2004. Determination of endogenous and supplied deuterated abscisic acid in plant tissues by high performance liquid chromatography-electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry with multiple reaction monitoring. Analytical Biochemistry 329: 324-333.
9. Ross, A.R.S., and Luettgen, S.L. 2005. Speciation of cyclo(Pro-Gly)3 and its divalent metal-ion complexes by electrospray ionization mass spectrometry. Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry 16: 1536-1544.
10. Jia, X., Olson, D.J.H., Ross, A.R.S., and Wu, L. 2006. Structural and functional changes in human insulin induced by methyglyoxal. FASEB Journal 20: 1555-1557.
11. Hoffmeyer, R.E., Singh, S.P., Doonan, C.J., Ross, A.R.S., Hughes, R.J., Pickering, I.J., and George, G.N. 2006. Molecular form and molecular mimicry in mercury toxicology. Chemical Research in Toxicology 19: 753-759.
12. Wan, L., Ross, A.R.S., Yang, J., Hegedus, D.D., and Kermode, A.R. 2007. Phosphorylation of 12S globulin cruciferin in wild type and abi1-1 mutant Arabidopsis thaliana seeds. Biochemical Journal 404: 247-256.
13. Pushie, M.J., Ross, A.R.S., and Vogel, H.J. 2007. Mass spectrometric determination of the coordination geometry of potential copper(II) surrogates for the mammalian prion protein octarepeat region. Analytical Chemistry 79: 5659-5667.
14. Ross, A.R.S. 2007. Identification of histidine phosphorylations in proteins using mass spectrometry and affinity-based Techniques. Methods in Enzymology: Two Component Signaling Systems, Simon, M., Crane, B., and Bilwes Crane, A. Eds. 423: 549-572.
15. Wiramanaden, C.I.E., Cullen, J.T., Ross, A.R.S., and Orians, K.J. 2008. Cyanobacterial copper-binding ligands isolated from a seawater matrix. Marine Chemistry 110: 28-41.
16. Aryal, U.K., Olson, D.J.H., and Ross, A.R.S. 2008. Optimization of immobilized gallium (III) ion affinity chromatography for selective binding and recovery of phosphopeptides from protein digests. Journal of Biomolecular Techniques 19: 296-310.
17. Sheoran, I.S., Ross, A.R.S., Olson, D.J.H., and Sawhney, V.K. 2009. Compatibility of plant protein extraction methods with mass spectrometry for proteome analysis. Plant Science 176: 99-104.
18. Davies, G.F., Ross, A.R.S., Arnason, T.G., Juurlink, B.H.J., and Harkness, T.A.A. 2009. Troglitazone inhibits histone deacetylase activity in breast cancer cells. Cancer Letters 288: 236-250.
19. Aryal, U.K., and Ross, A.R.S. 2010. Enrichment and analysis of phosphopeptides under different experimental conditions using titanium dioxide affinity chromatography and mass spectrometry. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 24: 219-231.
20. Chang, T., Wang, R., Olson, D.J.H., Mousseau, D.D., Ross, A.R.S., and Wu, L. 2011. Modification of Akt1 by methylglyoxal promotes the proliferation of vascular smooth muscle cells. FASEB Journal 25: 1746-1757.
21. Aryal, U.K., Krochko, J.E., and Ross, A.R.S. 2012. Phosphoproteomic analysis of Arabidopsis thaliana mature leaf using optimized polyethylene glycol fractionation, immobilized metal-ion affinity chromatography, two-dimensional gel electrophoresis and mass spectrometry. Journal of Proteome Research 11: 425-437.
22. Aryal, U.K., Ross, A.R.S., Krochko, J.E. 2015. Enrichment and analysis of intact phosphoproteins in Arabidopsis seedlings. PLoS ONE 10(7): e0130763. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0130763
23. Ross, A.R.S., Liao, X. 2015. A novel method for the rapid determination of polyethoxylated tallow amine surfactants in water and sediment using large volume injection with high performance liquid chromatography and tandem mass spectrometry. Analytica Chimica Acta 889: 147-155.
24. Nixon, R.L., Ross, A.R.S. 2016. Evaluation of immobilized metal-ion affinity chromatography and electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry for recovery and identification of copper(II)-binding ligands in seawater using the model ligand 8-hydroxyquinoline. Frontiers in Marine Science 3: 246. doi: 10.3389/fmars.2016.00246
25. Nixon, R.L, Jackson, S.L, Cullen, J.T., Ross, A.R.S. 2019. Distribution of copper-complexing ligands in the Canadian Arctic as determined using immobilized copper(II)-ion affinity chromatography. Marine Chemistry 215: 103673. doi: 10.1016/j.marchem.2019.103673