Andrew M. Davidson, Ph.D, FRCGS
ACGEO is responsible for the operationalization of AAFC's geospatial research. I manage and direct research, applications development and operationalization of AAFC's national Earth observation activities relating to the monitoring of crops and crop health.
Current research and/or projects
- Space Strategy for Canada
- Federal Earth Observation Strategy
- Federal EO Task Force AAFC Representative
- Space S&T R&D Collaboration WG
- Position, Navigation & Timing Board
- Interdepartmental WG on Space Policy Issues
- Copernicus (Sentinel) WG
- CSA Small Missions Initiative
- RADARSAT-2 and RADARSAT Constellation (RCM) WGs (incl Post-RCM Continuity)
- Group on Earth Observation Programme Board (Alternate Canadian Delegate)
- Group on Earth Observation Global Agricultural Monitoring (GEOGLAM) Ad hoc WG
- GEOGLAM Joint Experiment for Crop Assessment and Monitoring (JECAM)
- Various research projects funded by AAFC, ECCC, CSA-GRIP and CSA-DUAP.
- EO Task Force to develop an EO Diagnostic of the state of the GoC EO activities
- UN Global Working Group on Big Data for Official Statistics - EO Task Team on Agricultural Producttion Statistics
- UN Global Working Group on Big Data for Official Statistics - Big Data and Sustainable Development Goal Task Team
- OECD Working Party on Agricultural Policies and Markets
- OECD Joint Working Party on Agriculture and the Environment * ECCC Canadian Environmental Sustainability Indicators (CESI) Working Group
Professional activities / interests
Like many Government of Canada scientists, I maintain strong links to academia. I am an Adjunct Research Professor in the Department of Geography and Environmental Studies at Carleton University, where I have taught and supervised students since 2003. I recently expanded my role at the University to include the position of Associate Scientist with the Geomatics and Landscape Ecology Laboratory (GLEL).
I continue to actively support Canada's remote sensing community through my involvement with various national and provincial remote sensing organizations. I was a member of the National Executive Committee of the Canadian Remote Sensing Society from 2008-2013, and the Chair of the CRSS Communications Working Group from 2013-2015.
In November 2013, I was elected to the College of Fellows of the Royal Canadian Geographic Society. The RCGS is dedicated to imparting a broader knowledge and deeper appreciation of Canada, its people and places, its natural and cultural heritage and its environmental, social and economic challenges. The Society is one of Canada's largest non-profit educational organizations and is funded primarily by membership fees and generous donations. The Society's Board of Governors and its program committees are comprised entirely of volunteers.
Education and awards
- University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada. 2002. Ph.D. in Physical Geography.
- University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada. 1995. M.Sc in Physical Geography.
- University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland. 1993. B.Sc (Hons.) in Physical Geography.
International experience and/or work
- G20 Group on Earth Observation Global Agricultural Monitoring (GEOGLAM) Ad hoc WG.
- G20-GEOGLAM Joint Experiment for Crop Assessment and Monitoring (JECAM).
Chipanshi, A.C., Newlands, N.K., Zhang, Y., Davidson, A.M., Kouadio, A.L., Hill, H.S., Howard, A., Qian, B., Daneshfar, B., Bedard, F., and Reichert, G. (2014). "North American Tripartite Committee on Agricultural Statistics (NATCAS)", GIS/Remote Sensing Technical Meeting, Fairfax, Virginia, USA, February 25-26, 2014. (Abstract)2014 - View publication details
Kouadio, L., Newlands, N.K., Davidson, A., Zhang, Y., Chipanshi, A. (2014). Assessing the performance of MODIS NDVI and EVI for seasonal crop yield forecasting at the ecodistrict scale, 6(10), 10193-10214. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/rs610101932014 - View publication details
Zhang, Y., Chipanshi, A.C., Newlands, N.K., Davidson, A.M., Hill, H.S., Bedard, F., and Reichert, G. (2013). "Evaluation of an Integrated Canadian Crop Yield Forecaster (ICCYF) for In-season Prediction of Crop Yield Across the Canadian Agricultural Landscape.", Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society (CMOS) Congress 2013, Theme: Bridging environmental science, policy and resource management (Oral presentation). (Abstract)2013 - View publication details
Sun, L., Mitchell, S.W., Davidson, A. (2012). Multiple drought indices for agricultural drought risk assessment on the Canadian prairies, 32(11), 1628-1639. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/joc.23852012 - View publication details
Newlands, N.K., Davidson, A., Howard, A., Hill, H. (2011). Validation and inter-comparison of three methodologies for interpolating daily precipitation and temperature across Canada, 22(2), 205-223. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/env.10442011 - View publication details
Newlands, N.K., Geng, X.Y., McNairn, H., Jarvis, I.E., Liang, S.H.L., Erickson, R.S., Phillips, A.J.L., Davidson, A.M., Porcelli, T.A., Chipanshi, A.C., Serele, C.S., and Hill, H.S. (2009). "AAFC-SAGES Agri-Environmental Monitoring Project Collaborators, G. Espino-Hernandez, Biophysical modeling of soil moisture integrating SAR and sensor web networks.", Remote Sensing Workshop, Kananaskis, Alberta, Canada. (Abstract)2009 - View publication details
- ‹ previous
- 2 of 2
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Geography and Environmental Studies, Carleton University.
- Fellow of the Royal Canadian Geographical Society (RCGS), 2013.