Andrew M. Davidson, Ph.D, FRCGS
ACGEO is responsible for the operationalization of AAFC's geospatial research. I manage and direct research, applications development and operationalization of AAFC's national Earth observation activities relating to the monitoring of crops and crop health.
Current research and/or projects
- Space Strategy for Canada
- Federal Earth Observation Strategy
- Federal EO Task Force AAFC Representative
- Space S&T R&D Collaboration WG
- Position, Navigation & Timing Board
- Interdepartmental WG on Space Policy Issues
- Copernicus (Sentinel) WG
- CSA Small Missions Initiative
- RADARSAT-2 and RADARSAT Constellation (RCM) WGs (incl Post-RCM Continuity)
- Group on Earth Observation Programme Board (Alternate Canadian Delegate)
- Group on Earth Observation Global Agricultural Monitoring (GEOGLAM) Ad hoc WG
- GEOGLAM Joint Experiment for Crop Assessment and Monitoring (JECAM)
- Various research projects funded by AAFC, ECCC, CSA-GRIP and CSA-DUAP.
- EO Task Force to develop an EO Diagnostic of the state of the GoC EO activities
- UN Global Working Group on Big Data for Official Statistics - EO Task Team on Agricultural Producttion Statistics
- UN Global Working Group on Big Data for Official Statistics - Big Data and Sustainable Development Goal Task Team
- OECD Working Party on Agricultural Policies and Markets
- OECD Joint Working Party on Agriculture and the Environment * ECCC Canadian Environmental Sustainability Indicators (CESI) Working Group
Professional activities / interests
Like many Government of Canada scientists, I maintain strong links to academia. I am an Adjunct Research Professor in the Department of Geography and Environmental Studies at Carleton University, where I have taught and supervised students since 2003. I recently expanded my role at the University to include the position of Associate Scientist with the Geomatics and Landscape Ecology Laboratory (GLEL).
I continue to actively support Canada's remote sensing community through my involvement with various national and provincial remote sensing organizations. I was a member of the National Executive Committee of the Canadian Remote Sensing Society from 2008-2013, and the Chair of the CRSS Communications Working Group from 2013-2015.
In November 2013, I was elected to the College of Fellows of the Royal Canadian Geographic Society. The RCGS is dedicated to imparting a broader knowledge and deeper appreciation of Canada, its people and places, its natural and cultural heritage and its environmental, social and economic challenges. The Society is one of Canada's largest non-profit educational organizations and is funded primarily by membership fees and generous donations. The Society's Board of Governors and its program committees are comprised entirely of volunteers.
Education and awards
- University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada. 2002. Ph.D. in Physical Geography.
- University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada. 1995. M.Sc in Physical Geography.
- University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland. 1993. B.Sc (Hons.) in Physical Geography.
International experience and/or work
- G20 Group on Earth Observation Global Agricultural Monitoring (GEOGLAM) Ad hoc WG.
- G20-GEOGLAM Joint Experiment for Crop Assessment and Monitoring (JECAM).
Global Strategy to improve Agricultural and Rural Statistics (GSARS). 2017. Handbook on Remote Sensing for Agricultural Statistics. GSARS Handbook: Rome.
Davidson, A.M., Fisette, T., Mcnairn, H. & Daneshfar, B. 2017. Detailed crop mapping using remote sensing data (Crop Data Layers). In: J. Delincé (ed.), Handbook on Remote Sensing for Agricultural Statistics (Chapter 4). Handbook of the Global Strategy to improve Agricultural and Rural Statistics (GSARS): Rome.2017 - View publication details
Lalonde, C., Liu, J., Shang, J., Huffman, T., Davidson, A., Wellisch, M. 2017. Predicting Biomass of Corn Stover using satellite Imaging in Eastern Canada. Agro-Geoinformatics 2017, Fairfax, VA, USA, August 7-10. Presentation.2017 - View publication details
Lalonde, C.,Wellisch, M., Liu, J.,Shang, J., Huffman, T., Davidson, A. 2017. Predicting Biomass Yields of Corn Stover using Satellite Imaging in Eastern Canada. 25th European Biomass Conference and Exhibition. Stockholm, Sweden, June 12-15, 2017. Poster.2017 - View publication details
Tadesse, T., Champagne, C., Wardlow, B.D., Hadwen, T.A., Brown, J.F., Demisse, G.B., Bayissa, Y.A., Davidson, A.M. (2017). Building the vegetation drought response index for Canada (VegDRI-Canada) to monitor agricultural drought: first results, 54(2), 230-257. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15481603.2017.12867282017 - View publication details
Johnson, M.D., Hsieh, W.W., Cannon, A.J., Davidson, A., Bédard, F. (2016). Crop yield forecasting on the Canadian Prairies by remotely sensed vegetation indices and machine learning methods, 218-219 74-84. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.agrformet.2015.11.0032016 - View publication details
Catherine Champagne, Jesslyn Brown, Tsegaye Tadesse, Trevor Hadwen, Andrew M. Davidson and Richard Warren.2015. Monitoring Agricultural Drought in Canada using the Vegetation Drought Response Index (VegDRI). American Geophysical Union Annual Meeting, San Francisco, 14-18 December.2015 - View publication details
Chipanshi, A., Zhang, Y., Kouadio, L., Newlands, N., Davidson, A., Hill, H., Warren, R., Qian, B., Daneshfar, B., Bedard, F., Reichert, G. (2015). Evaluation of the Integrated Canadian Crop Yield Forecaster (ICCYF) model for in-season prediction of crop yield across the Canadian agricultural landscape, 206 137-150. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.agrformet.2015.03.0072015 - View publication details
Champagne, C., Davidson, A., Cherneski, P., L'Heureux, J., Hadwen, T. (2015). Monitoring agricultural risk in Canada using L-band passive microwave soil moisture from SMOS, 16(1), 5-18. http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/JHM-D-14-0039.12015 - View publication details
Chipanshi, A.C., Newlands, N.K., Zhang, Y., Davidson, A.M., Kouadio, A.L., Hill, H.S., Howard, A., Qian, B., Daneshfar, B., Bedard, F., and Reichert, G. (2014). "North American Tripartite Committee on Agricultural Statistics (NATCAS)", GIS/Remote Sensing Technical Meeting, Fairfax, Virginia, USA, February 25-26, 2014. (Abstract)2014 - View publication details
Fisette, T., Davidson, A.M., Daneshfar, B., Rollin, P., Aly, Z., and Campbell, L. (2014). "Annual space-based crop inventory for Canada: 2009-2014.", Joint 2014 IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS 2014) and the 35th Canadian Symposium on Remote Sensing (CSRS 2014), Quebec Convention Centre, Quebec City, Canada, July 13-18, 2014.2014 - View publication details
- 1 of 2
- next ›
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Geography and Environmental Studies, Carleton University.
- Fellow of the Royal Canadian Geographical Society (RCGS), 2013.