Ana Badea, PhD
Development of barley cultivars for western Canada
Current research and/or projects
- Breeding malting and food barley cultivars for western Canada at Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada’s Brandon Research and Development Centre assisted by new technologies (lead).
- Western Barley Breeding CORE Support Agreement (lead).
- Developing barley germplasm with improved resistance to Fusarium head blight and other biotic stresses for western Canada at Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada’s Brandon Research and Development Centre (team member).
- Phenotyping barley breeding lines and germplasm for disease resistance (team member).
- CropSNP: ultra-low cost genotyping in barley and soybean (team member).
Professional activities / interests
- Plant Breeding
- Plant Genetics
- Molecular Biology
- Plant Physiology
Education and awards
- Doctor of Philosophy (Genetics and Plant Breeding)
- Master of Science (Plant Biotechnology)
- Bachelor of Science (Genetic Engineering in Agriculture)
- Career Focus Program, AAFC - Lethbridge Research and Development Centre
- Canadian Government Laboratory Visiting Fellow, AAFC - Lethbridge Research and Development Centre
- Honorary Life Membership from the Biological Society on Campus, Brandon University
- Honorary Membership from Canadian Society of Agronomy
For a complete list of publications, please visit: AAFC Online
A. Badea, F. Eudes, R.J. Graf, A. Laroche, D.A. Gaudet and R.S. Sadasivaiah. 2008. Phenotypic and marker-assisted evaluation of spring and winter wheat germplasm for resistance to Fusarium head blight; Euphytica, 164:803-819. Doi: 10.1007/s10681-008-9735-0
A. Badea, F. Eudes, A. Laroche, D. Salmon, A. Vrolijk, C-T Larsson, V. Caig, E. Huttner and A. Killian. 2011. Development and assessment of DarT markers in triticale; Theoretical and Applied Genetics, 122:1547-1560. Doi: 10.1007/s00122-011-1554-3
A. Badea, F. Eudes, A. Laroche, R.J. Graf, K. Doshi, E.J. Amundsen, D. Nilsson, and B. Puchalski. 2013. Antimicrobial peptides expressed in wheat reduce susceptibility to Fusarium head blight and powdery mildew; Canadian Journal of Plant Science, 93: 199-208. Doi : 10.4141/CJPS2012-125
J.P. Rasmussen, B.H. Gilroyed, T.R. Reuter, A. Badea, F. Eudes, R.J. Graf, A. Laroche, N.N.V. Kav, and T.A. McAllister. 2015; Journal of Plant Biology, 58:1-7. doi : 10.1007/s12374-014-0258-z
W. G. Legge, A. Badea, J.R. Tucker, T.G. Fetch Jr., S. Haber, J.G. Menzies, A. Tekauz, T.K. Turkington, R.A. Martin, T.M. Choo, B.A. Blackwell, and M.E. Savard. 2017. AAC Connect barley; Canadian Journal of Plant Science, 97: 539-548. Doi : 10.1139/cjps2016-0312
A. Badea, M. Therrien and O. Lukow, 2017, Roseland hulless food barley, Canadian Journal of Plant Science, 97: 939-942, 10.1139/cjps-2016-0394
W.G. Legge, A. Badea, J.R. Tucker, T.G. Fetch Jr., M. Banik, S. Haber, J.G. Menzies, A. Tekauz, T.K. Turkington, R.A. Martin, T.M. Choo, B.A. Blackwell, M.E. Savard, 2018, AAC Goldman barley; Canadian Journal of Plant Science, 2018, 98: 1203-1211, https://doi.org/10.1139/cjps-2017-0361
A. Borrego-Benjumea, A. Carter, A. J. Glenn, A. Badea, 2018 Impact of excess moisture due to precipitation on barley grain yield in the Canadian Prairies, Impact of excess moisture due to precipitation on barley grain yield in the Canadian Prairies; Canadian Journal of Plant Science, 2019, 99: 93-96, https://doi.org/10.1139/cjps-2018-0108
A. Badea, A Carter, W.G. Legge, K. Swallow, S.P. Johnston, M.S. Izydorczyk, 2018, Tocols and oil content in whole grain, brewer's spent grain, and pearling fractions of malting, feed, and food barley genotypes; Cereal Chemistry, 95: 779-789, https://doi.org/10.1002/cche.10093
- Adjunct Professor, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
- Associate Editor, Canadian Journal of Plant Science
- Chair of the Agronomy Team of the Prairie Recommending Committee for Oat and Barley
- Member, Crop Science Society of America
- Member, Canadian Society of Agronomy