Ana Badea, PhD
Development of barley cultivars for western Canada
Current research and/or projects
- Breeding malting and food barley cultivars for western Canada at Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada’s Brandon Research and Development Centre assisted by new technologies (lead).
- Western Barley Breeding CORE Support Agreement (lead).
- Developing barley germplasm with improved resistance to Fusarium head blight and other biotic stresses for western Canada at Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada’s Brandon Research and Development Centre (team member).
- Phenotyping barley breeding lines and germplasm for disease resistance (team member).
- CropSNP: ultra-low cost genotyping in barley and soybean (team member).
Professional activities / interests
- Plant Breeding
- Plant Genetics
- Molecular Biology
- Plant Physiology
Education and awards
- Doctor of Philosophy (Genetics and Plant Breeding)
- Master of Science (Plant Biotechnology)
- Bachelor of Science (Genetic Engineering in Agriculture)
- Career Focus Program, AAFC - Lethbridge Research and Development Centre
- Canadian Government Laboratory Visiting Fellow, AAFC - Lethbridge Research and Development Centre
- Honorary Life Membership from the Biological Society on Campus, Brandon University
- Honorary Membership from Canadian Society of Agronomy
Foroud NA, Baines D, Gagkaeva TY, Thakor N, Badea A, Steiner B, Bürstmayr M, Bürstmayr H. 2019. Trichothecenes in cereal grains—an update. Toxins 11:6342019 - View publication details
Borrego-Benjumea, A., Carter, A., Glenn, A.J., Badea, A. (2019). Impact of excess moisture due to precipitation on barley grain yield in the Canadian prairies, 99(1), 93-96. http://dx.doi.org/10.1139/cjps-2018-01082019 - View publication details
Badea, A., Carter, A., Legge, W.G., Swallow, K., Johnston, S.P., Izydorczyk, M.S. (2018). Tocols and oil content in whole grain, brewer's spent grain, and pearling fractions of malting, feed, and food barley genotypes, 95(6), 779-789. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/cche.100932018 - View publication details
Legge, W.G., Badea, A., Tucker, J.R., Fetch, T.G., Banik, M., Haber, S., Menzies, J.G., Tekauz, A., Turkington, T.K., Martin, R.A., Choo, T.M., Blackwell, B.A., Savard, M.E. (2018). AAC goldman barley, 98(5), 1203-1211. http://dx.doi.org/10.1139/cjps-2017-03612018 - View publication details
Badea, A., Therrien, M.C., Lukow, O.M. (2017). Roseland hulless food barley, 97(5), 939-942. http://dx.doi.org/10.1139/cjps-2016-03942017 - View publication details
Legge, W.G., Badea, A., Tucker, J.R., Fetch, T.G., Haber, S., Menzies, J.G., Tekauz, A., Turkington, T.K., Martin, R.A., Choo, T.M., Blackwell, B.A., Savard, M.E. (2017). AAC connect barley, 97(3), 539-548. http://dx.doi.org/10.1139/cjps-2016-03122017 - View publication details
A. Badea, B. Steffenson, W.G. Legge, and R. Brueggeman. 2016. Development of High Resolution Melting Assay for quick and accurate molecular screening for the presence of functional Rpg5 alleles in barley. 2016. 12th International Barley Genetics Symposium, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, June 26-30, 2016, Poster#14, Pp. 14. (poster presentation and abstract)2016 - View publication details
Laroche, A., Badea, A., Xu, Y., and Gaudet, D.A. (2015). "Characterization of the genomes and the transcriptome of triticale.", in Eudes, F. (ed.) - Triticale, Springer, pp. 129-139.2015 - View publication details
Rasmussen, J., Gilroyed, B.H., Reuter, T., Badea, A., Eudes, F., Graf, R., Laroche, A., Kav, N.N.V., McAllister, T.A. (2015). Protein can be taken up by damaged wheat roots and transported to the stem, 58(1), http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12374-014-0258-z2015 - View publication details
Badea, A., Zhou, M., and Legge, W.G. (2014). "Preliminary greenhouse evaluation of several barley lines and cultivars for waterlogging tolerance.", 21st North American Barley Research Workshop, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, June 29- July 2, 2014. (Poster)2014 - View publication details
- 1 of 5
- next ›
- Adjunct Professor, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
- Associate Editor, Canadian Journal of Plant Science
- Chair of the Agronomy Team of the Prairie Recommending Committee for Oat and Barley
- Member, Crop Science Society of America
- Member, Canadian Society of Agronomy