Current research and/or projects
Lead scientist for Great Lakes Surveillance , Environment Canada's long term water quality monitoring on the Great Lakes
- Conducting ship-based monitoring on each of the Great Lakes upon which Canada borders, including Lake Superior, Lake Huron, Georgian Bay, Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Surveillance and monitoring of water quality in the Great Lakes; Parameters include major ions, nutrients, physical parameters, trace metals and organic contaminants
- Conducting one or two cruises (spring and/or summer) on each lake, every second year; Between approximately 40 and 100 stations are monitored on each lake
- Reporting on Great Lakes water quality via refereed journal publications, internal reports, State of the Lakes Ecosystem Conference (SOLEC), Federal Sustainable Development Strategy (FSDS) and the Canada Water Act
- Delivering commitments to the binational Great Lakes Water Quality Agreement (GLWQA), particularly annexes for Areas of Concern, Lakewide Management Plans, Nutrients, Chemicals of Mutual Concern and Science
Education and awards
B.Sc. University of Toronto
M.Sc. McGill University, Dean's Honours
Chandler-Misener Award, Outstanding Article, Journal of Great Lakes Research, 2009
Dove, A. and Chapra, S.C., 2015. Long-term trends of nutrients and trophic response variables for the Great Lakes. Limnology and Oceanography. 60(2): 696-721. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/lno.10055
Venier, M., A. Dove, K. Romanak, S. Backus and R. Hites. 2014. Flame Retardants and Legacy Chemicals in Great Lakes Waters. Environmental Science and Technology. 48(16): 9563-9572. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/es501509r
Dove, A., B. Hill, P. Klawunn, J. Waltho, S. Backus and R.C. McCrea, 2012. Spatial distribution and trends of total mercury in waters of the Great Lakes and connecting channels using an improved sampling technique. Environmental Pollution 161: 328-334.
Chapra, S.C., A. Dove and G.J. Warren, 2012. Long-term trends of Great Lakes major ion chemistry, Journal of Great Lakes Research 38: 550-560.
Burniston, D., P. Klawunn, S. Backus, B. Hill, A. Dove, J. Waltho, V. Richardson, J. Struger, L. Bradley, D. McGoldrick and C. Marvin, 2012, Spatial distributions and temporal trends in pollutants in the Great Lakes 1968–2008, Water Quality Research Journal of Canada, 46(4): 269-289.
Gao, H., J. Ma, Z. Cao, A. Dove and L. Zhang. Trend and climate signals in seasonal air concentrations of organochlorine pesticides over the Great Lakes. 2010. Journal of Geophysical Research Vol 115: D15307: doi.10.1029/2009JD013627.
Malkin, S.Y., A. Dove, D. Depew, R.E. Smith, S.J. Guildford and R.E. Hecky. 2010. Spatiotemporal patterns of water quality in Lake Ontario and their implications for nuisance growth of Cladophora. Journal of Great Lakes Research, doi:10,1016/j.jglr.2010.06.007
Kurt-Karakus, P.B., D.C.G. Muir, T.F. Bidleman, J. Small, S. Backus and A. Dove, 2010, Metolachlor and Atrazine in the Great Lakes, Environmental Science and Technology, 44: 4678-4684.
Chapra, S.C., A. Dove and D.C. Rockwell. 2009. Great Lakes chloride trends: Long-term mass balance and loading analysis. Journal of Great Lakes Research 35: 272-284.
Dove, A. 2009. Long-term trends in major ions and nutrients in Lake Ontario. Aquatic Ecosystem Health Management 12(3): 1-15.
Dove, A., S. L’Italien and D. Gilroy. Great Lakes Surveillance Program Field Methods Manual, Water Quality Monitoring and Surveillance, Environment Canada, Burlington, Ontario, Canada. Report No. WQMS-09-001.
Dove, A., S. Painter and J. Kraft. 2003. Sediment Quality in Canadian Lake Ontario Tributaries: Part One (West of the Bay of Quinte). Ecosystem Health Division, Ontario Region, Environmental Conservation Branch, Environment Canada, Report No. ECB/EHD-OR/03-01/I
Dove, A., S. Painter and J. Kraft. 2002. Sediment Quality in Canadian Lake Erie Tributaries: A Screening-Level Survey. Ecosystem Health Division, Ontario Region, Environmental Conservation Branch, Environment Canada. Report No. ECB/EHD-OR/02-05/I
Dove, A., R. Fletcher, A. Derry, N. Benoit and D. Boyd. 2003. Interim Guidance Framework for PCB Source Track-Down Projects. Ecosystem Health Division, Ontario Region, Environmental Conservation Branch, Environment Canada. Report No. ECB/EHD-OR/03-04/I
Dove, A. 2003. Sediment Investigations in Turkey Creek, 2001. Ecosystem Health Division, Ontario Region, Environmental Conservation Branch, Environment Canada. Report No. ECB/EHD-OR/03-02/I