Alexander P. Trishchenko, Ph.D
Satellite Remote Sensing
Current research and/or projects
Satellite remote sensing and calibration techniques in optical and thermal bands using VIIRS, AVHRR, MODIS, MERIS, CloudSat;
Application of satellite data for the Arctic and climate research;
Research related to imaging from Polar Communication and Weather (PCW) Satellite System
Professional activities / interests
Elected Member (Commissioner) of the International Radiation Commission (IRC) http://www.irc-iamas.org/
Member of NOAA Independent Advisory Committee (IAC) and Algorithm Development Executive Board (ADEB);
Member of several NASA review panels;
Associate Editor of the Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing (CJRS)
Member of Editorial Board of the Journal of Climatology
Science team member for ScaRaB, CloudSat and PCW (Polar Communication and Weather) projects;
Principal Investigator (PI) of the US Department of Energy (DOE) Atmospheric Radiation Measurement Program (ARM), 2002-2006
PI of European Space Agency/International Astronautic Federation (ESA/IAF) Project, 2005-2006
PI of several projects supported by the Canadian Space Agency (CSA), since 2000
PI of several projects related to analysis of satellite and meteorological data (Russian Federal Service for Hydrometeorology and Environmental Monitoring, 1987-1996)
Member of American Geophysical Union (AGU), American Meteorological Society (AMS), Canadian Meteorological and Oceanograpic Society (CMOS).
Education and awards
Ph.D. in Physics, 1987, Moscow University, USSR
MSc. in Physics (diploma with distinction), 1982, Moscow University, USSR
The Earth Sciences Sector Merit Award, NRCan, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2013
The Departmental Award, NRCan, 2006.
1st place award for presentation at International Radiation Symposium, IRS2000.
1) Alcaraz-Segura D, E.Chuvieco, H.E.Epstein, E.Kasischke, A.P.Trishchenko, 2010. Debating the greening vs. browning of the North American boreal forest: Differences between satellite datasets. Global Change Biology, 16(2), 760-770
2) Barker H. W., A. Marshak, W. Szymer, A. P. Trishchenko, J.-P. Blanchet, Z. Li, 2002: Inference of cloud optical depth from aircraft-based solar radiometric measurements. Journal of Atmospheric Sciences. 59, 2093-2111
3) Chang, F-L., Z. Li and A. P. Trishchenko, 2000: The dependence of TOA reflectance anisotropy on cloud properties inferred from ScaRaB satellite data. Journal of Applied Meteorology. v.39, 2480-2493
4) Chuvieco, E., P. Englefield, A. P. Trishchenko, Y. Luo, 2008: Generation of long time series of burn area maps of the Boreal forest from NOAA-AVHRR composite data. Remote Sensing of Environment. 112 (5), pp. 2381-2396.
5) Fontana, F., A.P.Trishchenko, K.V.Khlopenkov, Y.Luo, S.Wunderle, 2009: Impact of orthorectification on maximum NDVI composite data, Remote Sensing of Environment, v.113(12), pp. 2701-2712
6) Fontana, F.M.A., A.P.Trishchenko, Y.Luo, K.V.Khlopenkov, S.U.Nussbaumer, and S.Wunderle, 2010: Perennial snow and ice variations (2000-2008) in the Arctic circumpolar land area from satellite observations, Journal of Geophysical Research, doi:10.1029/2010JF001664, 115 (4), art. no. F04020
7) Fontana, F.M.A., N.C.Coops, K.V.Khlopenkov, A.P.Trishchenko, M.Riffler, M.A.Wulder, 2012: Generation of a novel 1 km NDVI data set over Canada, the northern United States, and Greenland based on historical AVHRR data. Remote Sensing of Environment. v.121, pp.171–185.
8) Garand, L., J. Feng, S. Heilliette, Y. Rochon, and A. P. Trishchenko, 2013: Assimilation of circumpolar wind observations derived from highly 2 elliptical orbit 3 imagery: impact assessment from observing system simulation experiments. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, 52 (8), 1891-1908.
9) Garand, L., A.P.Trishchenko, L.D. Trichtchenko, R. Nassar, 2014:. The polar communications and weather mission: Addressing remaining gaps in the Earth observing system. Physics in Canada. Submitted.
10) Guo, S., H.G. Leighton, J. Feng, A.P.Trishchenko, 2007: Wildfire aerosol and cloud radiative forcing in the Mackenzie River basin from satellite observations. Book chapter 21 in “Cold Region Atmospheric and Hydrological Studies: The Mackenzie GEWEX Experience”.Vol.1; Springer-Verlag. pp.365-381.
11) Halthore, R N; Crisp, D; Schwartz, S E; Anderson, G P; Berk, A; Bonnel, B; Boucher, O; Chang, F-L; Chou, M-D; Clothiaux, E E; Dubuisson, P; Fomin, B; Fouquart, Y; Freidenreich, S; Gautier, C; Kato, S; Laszlo, I; Li, Z; Mather, J H; Plana-Fattori, A; Ramaswamy, V; Richiazzi, P; Shiren, Y; Trishchenko, A; Wiscombe, W.: Intercomparison of shortwave radiative transfer codes and measurements; Journal of Geophysical Research, D, Atmospheres vol. 110, 10.1029/2004JD0052932005. 18pp
12) Hanesiak,J.M.,, R.E.Stewart, B.R.Bonsal, P.Harder, R.Lawford, R.Aider,B.D.Amiro, E.Atallah, A.G.Barr, T.A.Black, P.Bullock, J.C.Brimelow, R.Brown, H.Carmichael, C.Derksen, L.B.Flanagan, P.Gachon, H.Greene, J.,Gyakum, W.Henson, E.H.Hogg, B.Kochtubajda, H.Leighton, C.Lin, Y.Luo, J.H.McCaughey, A.Meinert, A.Shabbar, K.Snelgrove, K.Szeto, A.P.Trishchenko, G. van der Kamp, S.Wang, L.Wen, E.Wheaton, C.Wielki, Y.Yang, S.Yirdaw, T.Zha, 2011: Characterization and summary of the 1999–2005 Canadian Prairie Drought. Atmosphere-Ocean. 49(4), pp.421-452
13) Kandel R., M.Viollier, P.Raberanto, J.Ph. Duvel, L.A.Pakhomov, V.A.Golovko, A.P.Trishchenko, J.Mueller, E.Rashke, R.Stuhmann, 1998: The ScaRaB Earth radiation budget dataset. . Bulletin of American Meteorological Society,79, 765-783.
14) Khlopenkov, K, A.P.Trishchenko, 2007: SPARC: The new cloud, clear-sky, snow/ice and shadow detection algorithm for historical AVHHR 1-km observations. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology. 24(3), 322–343
15) Khlopenkov K.V., A.P.Trishchenko, 2008: Implementation and evaluation of concurrent gradient search method for reprojection of MODIS level 1B imagery. IEEE Transaction on Geoscience and Remote Sensing. 46 (7), art. no. 4538199, pp. 2016-2027
16) Khlopenkov, K., A.P.Trishchenko, Luo, Y., 2010. Achieving subpixel georeferencing accuracy in the Canadian AVHRR processing system. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 48 (4), pp.2150-2161.
17) Li, Z., A.Trishchenko, H.W.Barker, G.L.Stephens, P.Partain, and P.Minnis, 1999. Analyses of multiple ARM/ARESE data sets for studying cloud absorption. Journal of Geophysical Research. 104(16), 19,127-19,134
18) Li, Z., and A.P.Trishchenko, 2001: Quantifying uncertainties in determining SW cloud radiative forcing and cloud absorption due to variability in atmospheric background condition, Journal of Atmospheric Sciences. 58, 376-389
19) Li, Z., M. Cribb, A. P. Trishchenko, 2002: Impact of surface inhomogeneity on solar radiative transfer under overcast conditions. Journal of Geophysical Research. 107, D16, 2001JD000976
20) Li, Z; M.C.Cribb, F-L.Chang, A.P.Trishchenko, Y.Luo, 2005: Natural variability and sampling errors in solar radiation measurements for model validation over the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement Southern Great Plains region; Journal of Geophysical Research, D110, 11pp. 10.1029/2004JD005028
21) Luo, Y., A.P.Trishchenko, W.B.Park, R.Latifovic, Z.Li, 2005: Surface bidirectional reflectance and albedo properties derived by a landcover based approach from the MODIS observations. Journal of Geophysical Research. 10.1029/2004JD004741
22) Luo, Y., A.P.Trishchenko, K.V. Khlopenkov, 2008: Developing clear-sky, cloud and cloud shadow mask for producing clear-sky composites at 250 m spatial resolution for seven MODIS land bands over Canada and North America. Remote Sensing of Environment. 112 (12), pp. 4167-4185.
23) Trichtchenko, L.D. , L.V.Nikitina, A.P.Trishchenko, L.Garand, 2014: Assessment of Ionizing Radiation on Highly Elliptical Orbits Suitable for Arctic Observations. Advances in Space Research. Submitted.
24) Trishchenko A.P., Z.Li, 1998: Use of ScaRaB measurements for validating a GOES-based TOA radiation product. 1998. Journal of Applied Meteorology, 37, 591-605.
25) Trishchenko, A.P., Z.Li, F-L.Chang, and H.Barker, 2001: Cloud optical depths and TOA fluxes: Comparison between satellite and surface retrievals from multiple platforms. Geophysical Research Letters. Vol. 28 , No. 6 , p. 979-982..
26) Trishchenko, A.P., Z.Li, 2001: A Method for the correction of AVHRR onboard IR calibration in the event of short-term radiative contamination. International Journal of Remote Sensing. 22, 3619-3624.
27) Trishchenko, A. P., J. Cihlar, Z. Li, 2002: Effects of spectral response function on surface reflectance and NDVI measured with moderate resolution satellite sensors. Remote Sensing of Environment. 81, 1-18.
28) Trishchenko, A. P., G. Fedosejevs, Z. Li, J. Cihlar, 2003: Trends and uncertainties in thermal calibration of the AVHRR radiometers onboard NOAA-9 to –16. Journal of Geophysical Research. 107, D24, ACL 17-1 to ACL 17-13, doi:10.1029/2002JD002353
29) Trishchenko, A. P., 2003: Removing unwanted fluctuations in the AVHRR thermal calibration data using robust techniques. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology. 19, 1939-1954.
30) Trishchenko, A.P., 2006: Solar irradiance and brightness temperatures of AVHRR and GOES SW channels. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology. 23, pp.198-210
31) Trishchenko, A.P., K.V. Khlopenkov, C.Ungureanu, Y.Luo, W.M.Park, 2007. Mapping of surface albedo over Mackenzie River basin from satellite observations. Book chapter 19: in “Cold Region Atmospheric and Hydrological Studies: The Mackenzie GEWEX Experience”. Vol.1; Springer-Verlag. pp.327-341.
32) Trishchenko, A.P., Y.Luo, K. Khlopenkov, S.Wang, 2008: A method to derive the multi-spectral surface albedo consistent with MODIS from historical AVHRR and VGT satellite data. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology. 47(4), 1199–1221.
33) Trishchenko, A.P., Y.Luo, K. Khlopenkov, W.M.Park, S.Wang, 2009: Arctic circumpolar mosaic at 250m spatial resolution for IPY by fusion of MODIS/TERRA land bands B1–B7. International Journal of Remote Sensing. 30, 1635-1641.
34) Trishchenko, A.P. 2009: Effects of spectral response function on surface reflectance and NDVI measured with moderate resolution satellite sensors: Extension to AVHRR NOAA-17, 18 and METOP-A. Remote Sensing of Environment. 113, pp. 335-341. 10.1016/j.rse.2008.10.002
35) Trishchenko, A.P., L.Garand, 2011: Spatial and temporal sampling of Polar Regions from two-satellite system on Molniya orbit. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology. Vol. 28(8), pp.977-992.
36) Trishchenko, A.P., L.Garand, L.D.Trichtchenko, 2011: Three apogee 16-h highly elliptical orbit as optimal choice for continuous meteorological imaging of Polar Regions. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology. Vol. 28(11). pp.1407-1422.
37) Trishchenko, A.P., L.Garand. 2012: Observing Polar Regions from space: Advantage of satellite system on highly elliptical orbit versus constellation of low Earth polar orbiters. Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing. Vol. 38, No. 1, pp. 12-24.
38) Wang, S., A. P. Trishchenko, K. V. Khlopenkov, and A. Davidson, 2006: Comparison of International Panel on Climate Change Fourth Assessment Report climate model simulations of surface albedo with satellite products over northern latitudes, Journal of Geophysical Research, D21108, doi:10.1029/2005JD006728.
39) Wang, S. A. P. Trishchenko, X.Sun, 2007: Simulation of canopy radiation transfer and surface albedo in the EALCO model. Climate Dynamics. 29, 29, pp.615–632. DOI 10:1007/s00382-007-0252-y
40) Yang, Y., S.Wang, A.P.Trishchenko, Y.Luo, X.Geng, 2012: Variations of absorbed photosynthetically active radiation over the Canadian Prairie in 2000-2008. J of Agricultural Science. Vol. 4(2); pp.57-68.
More than 100 other articles, conference papers and reports.
List of publications for Alexander P. Trishchenko in GEOSCAN